“Quiet, edge-of-town motel, decent accessibility”
Review of Anchor Beach Inn

Anchor Beach Inn
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We reached the Anchor Beach Inn after a very long day of sightseeing driving from Sacramento through Redwood NP. Pleasant and helpful receptionist gave our party two adjoining rooms on the ground floor. Our wheelchair accessible room worked well enough for our needs -- nothing exceptionally brilliant but no problems either. And yes, the bay window looked straight out into the RV park! Quite decent buffet breakfast in the lobby, including waffle-maker and hard-boiled eggs that were replenished during our meal.

Best feature in our view was Anchor Beach's proximity to the Harbor View Grotto Restaurant, reached by walking along the side of Redwood Highway and turning into an unpromising looking parking lot for a redwood sculpture shop. Its lighthouse cupola shows you where to find good hearty seafood; the loooong ramp for wheelchair access is around the side. Great views towards the bay from most tables, plus a cozy bar in the back, complete with fireplace.

Room Tip: The upper floor has a sporting chance of seeing the water -- ground floor rooms on the long building...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Catzeyes
There are newer reviews for Anchor Beach Inn

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The staff at this hotel is one of the rudest people I've ever encountered and I MYSELF am a hotel employee at the front desk. We got there early in the morning, understanding that we were trying to check in early around 6:00am. We rang and rang and rang the bell until finally someone came out to help us..this was a problem because we were freezing and I had a fourth month old with me. The gentleman who came out, was barefoot and I later learned he was the MANAGER, I repeat MANAGER...barefoot. He then was taking his sweet time,answering phone calls and in the meantime we are freezing outside. I asked if I could get two beds instead of one and then he tried to charge me more because of that. I asked if I could get it as a courtesy since he was making us wait for so long in the freezing cold. He said no because I had stayed there before. This was my first time ever going to Crescent city and I had NEVER stayed there before. He still didn't want to do it and I ended up getting frustrated and asking to cancel my reservation but he wouldn't cancel it for me. He made me go online and cancel it. So we left and as I tried to cancel it while in my car it didn't let me. I called the number on the site which was the hotel, he answered and kept saying I had to do it online. Later on I called again asking if they could please do it and his wife proceeded to yell at me saying he husband couldn't. When I asked if there was someone higher than him that I could speak to she kept saying why did I need to talk to someone else. Point black RUDEST PEOPLE ever and I will NEVER stay here or recommend this place!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank stephanie g
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Last time I reviewed Anchor Beach Inn was July 3, 2011. I gave it 4 stars then and stand by that now. They have since redecorated with new linens and carpet, bathroom tile. Dog OK with small fee. Steps to the beach and food.

Room Tip: open yr window and smell the Pacific Ocean
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashlandbuck
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed here overnight and found it OK. We had an 'ocean view' room which looks onto the beach. Other rooms look onto the RV park adjacent to the hotel. Room was clean and reasonably comfortable. Breakfast was a perfunctory motel lobby affair.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an Ocean View room!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stopped at Crescent City driving from Seattle to Morro Bay and again driving back. We stayed at Anchor Beach on the way back but found it less comfortable than the Best Western Northwoods where we stayed going south. It was also about $20 more expensive. We just wanted to check out different places for comparison. The room was acceptable with two queen size beds.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2013

the cleanest & most comfortable motel we have ever stayed in!! took the grandkids for a couple days & had alot of fun in crescent city. we'll be back for sure!..love the bedding, pillows & the darkening drapes. felt like luxury. & to top it all, there was the morning breakfast, so good & plentiful!..can't wait to come back! keep the price reasonable!..:)

Room Tip: bottom floor room had thee perfect view of the ocean, & easy access!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ammiey t
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were not planning on staying but the other party we were with wanted to stay the night the coast. As we had a dog, we couldn't stay at the Best Western they were staying at. So we found this hotel which allowed dogs. This was a recomendation by the staff at the Best Western. My gripe is that they had one smoking room with two beds and one non with just one bed. We had our son with us so we needed another bed but we weren't going to do the smoking room. They charged us $10 for the dog, $10 for the roll away. I asked if they can do anything about the rollaway. It seemed like an over priced room anyway. The front counter person shrugged and said no because it's an extra person. We took the room anyway, but ended up paying well over $80 for a basic room. The Best Western less for our other party and was much nicer and had a hot tub and pool. The room itself was clean enough. The view was of the trailer park behind the hotel, which is feet from it. If the front desk would have helped make it more affordable I would give it maybe a better than average, but because of how much we paid I don't feel the cost was justified for what we got.

Room Tip: Call ahead and try to get a room with a view. However the view is of the ocean I wouldn't consi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#14 of 19 in Crescent City
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area

Been to Anchor Beach Inn? Share your experiences!