“good food and nice atmosphere”
Review of Porcini - CLOSED

Porcini
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Minneapolis
“good food and nice atmosphere”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Wife and I ate here on our vacation, and thought the food was very good, and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. They were super busy, and it sounds like they haven't been open very long, so we cut them some slack on the speediness of the service. I thought the elk meatballs were good! The 18% tip pre-calced on the bill isnt something I see often, but thats fine - we tipped above that anyway. As a point of reference, we ate at Local Ocean in Newport and Alloro in Bandon on the prior 2 nights. I wouldn't put Porcini on the same level yet, but its in the ballpark.

1 Thank Gomez22

Gasquet, California
“We'll be back...with friends”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Recent reviews indicate one should be negative...ok,, how about facetious?
If you don't care that your food is prepared with the freshest local ingredients...don't eat here.
If you want your server to ignore you and disappear for most of the meal...don't eat here.
If you don't want the owner to visit your table and solicit your opinion...don't eat here.
If you don't want one of the best northern coast views...don't eat here.
If you don't like blackened local cod with an AMAZING Kale salad...don't eat here.
Seriously, the service, food and atmosphere will bring us back...with friends.

3 Thank DonQuixote1952
Keene, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Resturant in CC”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stop eating fish & chips and experience what a real chef can do! The Cajun seafood stew was wonderfully favored without being spicy. The atmosphere was intimate and lively. And for those that need a GF option, the blueberry crisp was perfect. Really hope the locals will appreciate this great upstart.

1 Thank runmelrun
Crescent City, California
“Mandatory 18% tip”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Sorry Mr Owner, but I was Just by here and the menu posted on the outside clearly states "Mandatory 18% tip".
I am Local and looked forward to promoting a possibly interesting dining experience :(
(NO response is necessary)

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Annie C
Bobby J, Owner at Porcini, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Annie,

There's no reason to be sad! No where on our menu does it say that the 18% gratuity is "mandatory". If you would have come inside the restaurant and inquired about it, you would have found out that we are more than happy to remove the 18% gratuity for any guest that isn't willing to pay it. We'd love you for you to actually come inside Porcini and experience our unique dining experience firsthand (with the 18% gratuity removed, of course). I bet you'd leave with a smile on your face!

Cheers,

Bobby Jernegan
Owner
Hawaii
“Really? #1? I don't think so!”
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I too cannot understand this rating. We wanted the fresh local fish which they couldn't get from their 'fisherman' so we ordered tasteless unseasoned chicken. Brussel sprout coleslaw was another bad idea. After spending time in the redwood parks and marveling at the majestic Roosevelt elk herds we were a bit turned off by elk meatballs. The topper was 18% mandatory gratuity! I decide who gets that much and I'm a great tipper. This place is very small so if you have to wait I suggest moving on before it's too late.

3 Thank banyan322
Bobby J, Owner at Porcini, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Banyan322,

Our menu changes daily based on the ingredients that our local farmers and fishermen have available each day. We've had a different menu every day since we opened, and feel this adds to the uniqueness of Porcini. Unfortunately that also means that our popular items are not on the menu every night. I am sorry that happened to be a night you visited. Our gratuity is not mandatory. If you had a problem with it, we would have been happy to remove it from your bill if you had mentioned it to myself or your server.

Cheers,