“Amazing find in Northern California”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Bed and Bread Hiouchi
Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you're looking for a memorable place to stay, I highly recommend the BnB Hiouchi. While the house and its location are stunning, it's the host Curt that makes this place such a wonderful place to stay. A great conversationalist who can turn out top-notch food for his guests is a rare find in BnBs, and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening chats over a glass or two of red.

The accommodation itself is charming and spotlessly clean, and our room (the lower floor 'apartment' had very easy access to the Smith River (which is great for a post-hike swim). The place is also very peaceful, yet just a minute off Hwy 101.

I very much doubt there's a better place to stay in the region. 100% recommended!

Room Tip: The lower floor is great if you're after a touch more privacy/personal space, but you can't...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 31, 2013

My son and I recently stayed at this B&B in the woods, May 20-24, 2013. First, the Host Curt and his wife Meg are just great, friendly, charming, and very accommodating. Curt served excellent breakfasts as well as late night pizza. Curt provided very good Information about hiking trails in the National Redwood forest, although we didn't see Bigfoot, we found his recommendations always right on. The area is excellent for forest hiking as well as hiking along the seashore. Several good seafood restaurant's as recommended by Curt served fresh seafood were about as good as it gets. The accommodations, we had the downstairs suite, were comfortable, large TV, small kitchen, great views through windows, we saw the river otters playing in the river just outside the windows. All and all and excellent trip made better by staying with Curt and Meg at their excellent B&B in the woods.

Room Tip: If you have a family take the downstairs suite
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank voygerglobe
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My wife and I spent two wonderful nights in the 'suite' of Curt & Meg's home. We loved the location, the accommodations and the ambiance of the area. Curt is a wonderful cook and baker. Loved waking up to the smell of freshly baked muffins in the morning and the view to the river was outstanding. We ended up also having a delicious dinner with them and would highly recommend that opportunity. We stayed 2 nights and would have stayed 2 more if they had the availability. Will return. Don't want this to sound too good otherwise we won't be able to get our room back...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndreOrcas
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the BnB Hiouchi during our trip to the Pacific Northwest last week. Upon arrival, we were so grateful that we'd decided to stay three nights, and by the end of our stay, wished we had booked a week. We stayed in the downstairs apartment, which is perfect for a couple looking to get away, but would also be terrific for a family. Plenty of space, and felt like home without feeling worn. Bed was comfy, shower was strong and the linens were high quality. Plus, the downstairs has every kitchen accommodation you could need. We enjoyed a couple of fabulous dinners with out gracious hosts, and breakfasts were simply scrumptious. (Curt, I'm afraid I'll need you to mail me additional muffins. :)

This is the perfect spot to get away and enjoy nature. The hosts are highly knowledgeable about the area's hikes, and gave great recommendations for trails and dining. If we make it out West again anytime soon, we'll absolutely be booking this lovely lodging. Thank you!

Room Tip: Be sure to book a dinner or two with Curt - his food is fresh, healthy AND delicious!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hannah W
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We've just returned from driving up the Pacific coast from Oakland to Portland. Great trip, lot's of beautiful things to see. This was my dream trip to see the Redwoods. We stayed at a number of nice places along the way, but none came close to comparing to our 3 night stay with Curt and Meg. They have such a beautiful home in an outstanding location. We had the lower floor of the house. We were grateful for all the room after having been in places where we felt kind of trapped in a small space. Everything was high quality from the towels to the bedding. You couldn't ask for better or nicer hosts. The breakfasts were substantial and delicious and kept us going all day until dinner, which Curt made for us 2 of our 3 nights. Large quantities of very tasty, healthy food. Curt was a great source for trails to take to see big trees and beautiful scenery. All were very close to the B&B. We had great conversations during the meals and into the evenings with Meg and Curt and the other guest there. Anton, the dog, was great to have around, very friendly and quiet. I'd love to go back and spend more time there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BLAKAlaska
Reviewed April 12, 2013

During a recent visit to Crescent City, I had the opportunity to spend one of my two night-stay in town in the Bed and Bread Hiouchi B&B--a superb place to stay with first-class hosts.

The house is located right by the Smith river--calming, serene but spectacular surroundings and views from my room and adjacent balcony.

My room was spacious and nicely decorated with a shared bathroom right across the hall. High quality bedding, towels and bathrobe were provided. All this in a very homey environment, with very gracious hosts, Curt and Meg, who entertain their guests, pay great attention to detail, and are fantastic cooks. A succulent breakfast was Included in my room rate.

I also enjoyed a delicious home made dinner which included local salmon and meatloaf with plenty of side dishes to choose from. Eating at the table with our hosts was indeed a wonderful experience, especially for me who are much more accustomed to stay in hotels.

Cons: none, unless you don't like dogs. The house dog is adorable and very, very quiet.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Expat-in-Cabarete
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is the ultimate meeting of water and forest, the perfect spot on California's premier Wild and Scenic Smith River. Imagine the day's end with fading light on crystalline water, woodland murmurs, a glass of wine, gentle conversation, aromas of dinner ... divine bliss. A conclave of forest deities would be right at home. Curt and Meg are consummate hosts. Their friendly, relaxed atmosphere enabled us to unwind and enjoy the natural beauty that surrounded us. I was born and raised on the Smith River and I am happy to declare that Thomas Wolfe was wrong, you can go home again. It was a wonderful visit and we plan to return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Oceanfront Lodge
Oceanfront Lodge
#16 of 19 in Crescent City
Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast

Been to Bed and Bread Hiouchi? Share your experiences!