“Nice hotel with problems” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oceanfront Lodge

Oceanfront Lodge
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Crescent City
Lodi, California
“Nice hotel with problems”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on August 5, 2013 after having driven nine hours from Central California. We were planning to stay in Ashland and/or Grants Pass but the air quality was very poor due to the forest fires. At check in, the young clerk was very cheerful giving us a rehearsed list of amenities of the hotel, i.e. the pool and Jacuzzi (which we were looking forward to after the long drive), breakfast in the morning until 10:30 a.m., and a restaurant recommendation with a card for a free shrimp cocktail. She pointed out the lodge area with large windows looking out over the ocean. After she went through the list, she then told us, "Unfortunately, the pool and Jacuzzi are out of order. Sorry." Our room was fine and clean and had a nice view of the ocean and lighthouse. Later we went down to the lodge area to find out it was Closed "due to construction." There were construction materials stacked up all around the rock fireplace. We decided to go for a walk to the lighthouse but it was also closed due to construction. All around the hotel are signs indicating evacuation routes in case of a Tsunami, which is a good thing. However, in the morning we were getting ready to check out and all of a sudden an outrageous horn starting blaring that was so loud, it could only be warning of a Tsunami. I ran out onto the balcony and several other concerned guests were out as well and we're all looking at each other, mouthing what is this. I ran back in the room and called the desk and asked what that horn was for. She "laughed" and said, "Oh, they test the Tsunami horn the first Tuesday of every month. Don't worry." Don't you think there could have been some kind of note from the hotel somewhere advising its guest of this. It was rather unnerving. At 10:05 a.m. we walked down to the breakfast area and there was absolutely NO food left. Other guests were standing around looking for food as well. I said we were told breakfast was until 10:30 a.m. and that is what they were told as well. The two women who were quickly taking out the empty pans, etc. told us it ended at 10:00 a.m., sorry. When we checked in, we were told check out was at Noon. While I was drying my hair at 10:45, I was reading the information on the back of the door and it said check out was at 11:00 a.m. and if a guest stayed beyond that time, they would be charged another day charge. I called down to the desk and explained what I was told and this clerk said, No, it's Noon. Don't pay attention to the notice on the door. Although, this is probably the "best" hotel in Crescent City, it was a bit unnerving that there was so much incorrect information at a place that cost $179 a night!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mstravel2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Rantoul, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We would like to tell everybody traveling on hwy101 that this hotel is the best hotel between SF and Portland. The ocean view is fantastic. We had a suite room on the third floor and can watch the wave all day long. The breakfast is way better than most franchised hotels because we had a lot of fresh fruits to choose from. Room is clean and internet service is free and good.

Room Tip: Rate is cheap, only $159 for the oceanfront room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank George F
Lyons, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We spent the 4th here this year, and it was a lot of fun. We had a 2nd floor room, and didn't have to leave the porch to watch the fireworks! Fantastic view of the ocean and lighthouse. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was OK.

Spent the 4th of July watching the local parade (they're pretty much the same wherever you go, but still lots of fun). Then experienced 'Cow Pie Bingo', where the let 10 calves loose in a field that's been divided up into Bingo quadrants. Where the calves do their business is how they determine the letter/number (B17...). Pretty funny. Lots of the usual vendors selling food - never did figure out what a 'Doughboy' is - it was the only stall that had a line, and that had to be 100 people deep, so whatever they are, they must be good!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Loma Linda, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I can understand some of the negative reviews. This hotel has changed to private ownership and is in the process of putting in a restaurant and other updates. I personally loved this hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I went around the city and compared to the other hotels offered this is the only one I would stay at. The views as others have said are breath taking. If you go to Crescent City this is the hotel to stay at.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the lighthouse and choose one on the second or third floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Debbie I
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on our way to Canada. I would have to say, this hotel and its view ( we stayed in room #316, third floor King with balcony view of the lighthouse and ocean) is the only thing nice in this gloomy run down town. I have visited Crescent City many times in my life as I have family nearby. This was the first time I thought what a depressing town with no color, landscaping or tourist feel. Sad because this city has the location. Anyways, if you have to spend the night anywhere in this gloomy ran down town, sleep here and enjoy the beautiful views. Well worth the price.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Vandenburg
Redding, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Quite frankly, I don't understand the negative reviews. (Competitors, perhaps??) This is our 2nd time staying at the Oceanfront Lodge and we honestly think it is THE best place to stay in Crescent City. My husband even made the comment about how there aren't many hotels that are themselves a destination. This one is it. The beach is rugged with hardly anyone on it, and you only need to walk right outside the back of the hotel and there it is. Listening to the surf and watching the sunset right outside your balcony is a real treat. The staff were very young, but all smiles and very helpful and friendly. The complimentary breakfast is weak, but seems to be typical of the free breakfasts we get at hotels. Healthier cereal choices, wider fruit selection, and whole wheat toast would be great additions. Everything was spotlessly clean, bed and pillows comfortable. Wi-fi was hit and miss due to weak signal, we think. The lighthouse is walking distance. All around a very wonderful stay. We'll be back again.

Room Tip: Best views are South end toward the lighthouse.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WannabeTravelin
Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

The best and the worst hotels get reviewed by me, unfortunately this is one of the latter.
I typically don't stay at privately owned hotels but this time I decided that the location was too good to pass up and went against my better judgement, I wish I hadn't.
My family and I booked at this hotel for the nights of July 3rd and 4th, we arrived at the hotel at 2:30 pm and were told our room was not ready; we went to the beach for 1 hour then returned, and were told it still wasn't ready, this time I waited while my wife took the kids to the park; at 4:30pm they gave me the keys (quite a while after their stated check in time) with no apology or recompense.
The room had 2 queens and a pullout with dated decor, peeling wall paper, and a balcony with a spectacular view. When I stepped onto the carpet it was wet, when asked the front desk girl said it was shampooed that morning, I asked for a different room and was flatly refused, the carpet in the room did not fully dry until the next day but the muggy feel and smell of wet carpet remained for our stay.
The beds were adequate and, other than sleeping, we did not spend much time in the room due to the smell of wet carpet. When it came time to check out, I went to the front desk to pay for the room with cash, I was informed by the clerk that my credit card had be charged for the full amount of our stay when I checked in. I told the young man, who turned out to be one of many relatives of the owner working at the hotel, that using my card as a guarantee is appropriate but charging my card without my consent is not appropriate or legal; he literally shrugged his shoulders and said nothing could be done about it now and turned his attention to the next unhappy patron.
The folks running this hotel will do the very minimum in service and everything they can to get your money before you know what you are getting into.
Don't get suckered into this place under this ownership; With any luck, the current ownership will run it further into the ground and Holiday Inn or Best Western will buy it and give appropriate service to such a great location.

• Stayed July 2013

#8 of 18 in Crescent City
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area
BEST WESTERN PLUS Beachfront Inn
Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast

Been to Oceanfront Lodge? Share your experiences!