The best and the worst hotels get reviewed by me, unfortunately this is one of the latter.
I typically don't stay at privately owned hotels but this time I decided that the location was too good to pass up and went against my better judgement, I wish I hadn't.
My family and I booked at this hotel for the nights of July 3rd and 4th, we arrived at the hotel at 2:30 pm and were told our room was not ready; we went to the beach for 1 hour then returned, and were told it still wasn't ready, this time I waited while my wife took the kids to the park; at 4:30pm they gave me the keys (quite a while after their stated check in time) with no apology or recompense.
The room had 2 queens and a pullout with dated decor, peeling wall paper, and a balcony with a spectacular view. When I stepped onto the carpet it was wet, when asked the front desk girl said it was shampooed that morning, I asked for a different room and was flatly refused, the carpet in the room did not fully dry until the next day but the muggy feel and smell of wet carpet remained for our stay.
The beds were adequate and, other than sleeping, we did not spend much time in the room due to the smell of wet carpet. When it came time to check out, I went to the front desk to pay for the room with cash, I was informed by the clerk that my credit card had be charged for the full amount of our stay when I checked in. I told the young man, who turned out to be one of many relatives of the owner working at the hotel, that using my card as a guarantee is appropriate but charging my card without my consent is not appropriate or legal; he literally shrugged his shoulders and said nothing could be done about it now and turned his attention to the next unhappy patron.
The folks running this hotel will do the very minimum in service and everything they can to get your money before you know what you are getting into.
Don't get suckered into this place under this ownership; With any luck, the current ownership will run it further into the ground and Holiday Inn or Best Western will buy it and give appropriate service to such a great location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront Lodge, only 30 feet from the edge of the rugged Northern California coast, is the premier hotel in Crescent City, CA. During your stay, enjoy sweeping ocean vistas and a spectacular view of the famous Battery Point Lighthouse from one of our modern comfortable guestrooms. Our gracious hotel is also located in the heart of scenic Redwood country-truly an outdoor lover's paradise where hiking, fishing, bird-watching, and whale-watching opportunities are plentiful. Our inviting rooms are designed for comfort and relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Oceanfront Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oceanfront Hotel Crescent City
- Hampton Inn Crescent City
- Crescent City Hampton Inn