“Great Hotel, Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oceanfront Lodge

Oceanfront Lodge
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Crescent City
Tustin, California
“Great Hotel, Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Arrived after a long drive. The guy at the front desk was very helpful and tried to upgrade us to a bigger room because we had 4 of us, but they were full. Balcony room with 2 Queens was fine. Room was nice. You can see from old pictures & reviews on this site that this hotel used to be a Hampton Inn. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Eureka/Arcata and I would put it on par with that. Breakfast in the morning was good. A little above your typical Comfort Inn/Holiday Inn Express type breakfast. Nice wine selection for sale in the lobby. Nice to sit on the balcony and watch the sunset (in sweatshirts and a blanket for us...it was cold).

Room Tip: The left side of the hotel has good view of light house.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank xtianh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Chino Hills, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We arrived after a 10+ hour drive from Seattle to our room from hell.

Looking forward to a well deserved night's sleep, we turned on the A/C to get the stuffiness out of the room. The A/C was so loud that we had to turn it off. The bed was lumpy, the room stunk, we could hear people jumping around on the floor above us, and the breakfast was terrible.

When I reported the loud A/C to the desk girl, she just shrugged her shoulders like she could care less.

I chose this hotel because it overlooked the ocean and, yes, the view was great. But I recommend staying at a mainstream hotel like Best Western and not this dump.

Room Tip: Check out the A/C first.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bill H

Travelers are raving about these Crescent City hotels

St Charles, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed there for a business trip and the experience was nice. Requested an oceanfront view and was provided with a room with a balony. I requested to be moved because I wanted a center view and the staff was very friendly in accomodating my request. They have a small sundry store for beer, wine and snacks. Breakfast was sufficient with various choices and fresh fruit. They had great decaf coffee which was a surprise as much as I travel. Will return if in the area again.

Room Tip: Request room on 2nd or 3rd floor in the middle for best view of Pacific Ocean.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed one night on our honeymoon in a king suite. The room was right above the pool area which is open until midnight. There was a group of about 6 children loudly playing in the pool until well past 11PM and the noise reverberated into our room. The beds were uncomfortable and the comforters were cheap and very lumpy. The polyfill had clumped into 5 inch balls.

The worst past is that when we got back, we had an extra $300 charged on our credit card. When I called, the desk person said it was a smoking charge. I told her that we did not smoke in the room and she asked if we had cigarettes in the room at all. The only thing I can think of is that we might have thrown out a cigarette wrapper in the trash but that isn't smoking. I asked for a copy of what we signed at check-in since I can't believe that their non-smoking policy would not allow us to throw away a wrapper. We didn't do any damage to the room. She said I would have to talk to the manager Johnathan, but he wasn't in. I asked her to have him call me back and I never heard back. I tried again two days later. He wasn't there, I left a message, no one called back. It really feels like they took advantage of us to make an extra $300.

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposite of the pool area. The noise from the pool reverberates through to the rooms...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jennifer M
South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way home to Washington from a long Pacific Coast trip from California. Despite what some others have written, I have no serious complaints. The location was excellent (one of the few CC hotels on the beach) and the room was great. We got adjoining rooms and we had balconies that overlooked the ocean from the second floor. The rooms were clean but not extravagant. The sauna, pool, and hot tub were great. Very much appreciated that they had a mini convenience store with lots of wine and beer to choose from. Yes, it is expensive, but this is the California Coast and I challenge you to find an ocean front hotel with this kind of view for cheaper. The one complaint I had was that breakfast wasn't the best. Hard boiled eggs with hashbrowns and sausage? What is this, Europe? They obviously had the making for a waffle maker, but it had been removed. Other than that, I would say we had a good stay and we'd definitely return.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I should start by saying the view is unequaled! Right on the beach, little balcony and nice enough room. Interesting, apparently the down, or fake down, comforters had been washed and had little hills all over them. It looked like they had exploded under the coverlet! The beds were awful, moving all over with every tiny movement. When my husband turned over, I bounced all around. Then the hair dryer burnt out while I was trying to get dressed for the day. I told the desk about it and the next time I tried to use it, obiviously, it didn't work. I called the desk again because we were leaving and my hair was quite wet. They sent a house keeper up to try to turn it on, a bit insulting since I had told them twice that it burnt out. We waited for about 15 or so minutes and no one showed up. We had to leave, so I left with wet hair!
The front desk seems to always be in confusion, the workers are very polite and nice, but nothing is every just straight forward.
The "hot" breakfast is the worst of that type of breakfast, just the worst.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sally6645
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed one night in the king suite. It was a pretty nice room. The balcony above us dripped water onto ours. We were told non smoking so we went outside into the parking lot and brought a cup with us so we weren't rude and leave butts out there. We threw it into our garbage in our room before we left. On our way home I checked our account and they charged $300 on top of our room charge! I have been calling for almost a week and nothing has been done. I have left my information and no one has called and have talked to a couple of people at the desk saying the manager Johnathan will get back to me. It really ticks me off cuz that was not a $500 a night room!! Especially since we did not smoke in there and people above us were smoking and throwing their butts into the grass below but we did the decent thing I got screwed!

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank Peasmomma
, General Manager at Oceanfront Lodge, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
The guest in this comment is one of many that were charged in the same night. Upon check in they signed and agreed to our 100% no pet no smoking policy. On the regstration card that every guest signs when checking in it clearly states: ( A $300.00 penalty will be imposed for smoking on hotel premises. ) The guest simply disobeyed company policy and smoked within our building. I am absolutly sure to have picture evidence of anything I am charging a guest for. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused but we were only enforcing our policys that are clearly presented to every guest.
Thank You for your response.
Johnathan Heitchler
#8 of 18 in Crescent City
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area
BEST WESTERN PLUS Beachfront Inn
Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast

Been to Oceanfront Lodge? Share your experiences!