“No frills - no pretense - just a ocean front view, clean room, great shower!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Crescent Beach Motel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Reviewed August 7, 2009

OK if you look at my other reviews of recent, you will notice that I basically went up the coast of California... guess what??? Of all the B&Bs, and other places that seemed to be more than this place.. this place ROCKS!
1. clean
2. RIGHT ON THE WATER
3. NO PRETENSE = no paying for things extra
4. Great free flowing shower!
5. front desk very nice
6. laid back
7. fast wifi
I will stay here again! Oh and Crescent City??? Great place! It's a working town vs. a tourist town! Good food as well as supermarkets, drug store etc..

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 26, 2009

I discovered this place from reading a Trip Advisor review and it was everything I hoped it would be! Right on the beach - a very romantic setting, it was perfect for us. The weather was warm and sunny and we ate our cheese/wine on the porch whilst chatting to our next door neighbour. I would definitely stay there again - for a longer stay next time. Local restaurants are good but a little expensive - only to be expected in a seaside town.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We took a driving trip from the Bay Area up to Washington State and back along the coast. I turned to tripadvisor for hotel suggestions, and most of them were right on target. I could tell beforehand that Crescent City seems to be a tough destination- so many other places complained about mold and funky smells that I seemed to have not many choices. We were traveling with a toddler, which complicated things a little. The Crescent Beach Motel, like a number of other places I called, did not have cribs available. Of the places that I called, only the Hampton Inn had cribs, but they are at least one category up in terms of price level, and it didn't make sense to spend $$$ on a hotel room that we were only going to use during sleeping hours. So just because of this one motel, we had to bring a pack& play along for our son to sleep in.

So I booked a reservation at the Crescent Beach motel. The day of our reservation, I got a phone call from them, that their water had failed testing and was not drinkable. It was fine for showering, and they would provide bottled water, but we couldn't drink from the tap. Hmmm. We were on the road, and didn't want to have to hunt around Crescent City for lodging after we arrived, so we told her we would come anyway. Despite not having drinkable water, they didn't knock anything off the rate for the night, and it was a triple-digit rate, so I was expecting something more than what we got.

When we arrived to check in, the front desk folks were weirdly suspicious. They asked if we were traveling with pets. We said no. They said "you don't have a dog or cat in your car or anything, do you?" We said no, no pets. They said there is no smoking in the room. We said no problem, we don't smoke. They said " by no smoking, we mean no cigarettes, no incense, no candles, no open flames." We pointed to our toddler and said "we are not having open flames around a curious toddler, no way." But it was very odd and a little off-putting. And we had to sign a form acknowledging that we had been told no pets and no smoking! They may have had bad experiences with people in the past but treating your customers as if you expect them to lie to you sends a lousy message.

The room was clean. The decor was very dated. When I say "dated" I mean it looks like they did a renovation on the cheap sometime in the early 1980's. Also it was noisy. I knew the motel faces 101. What I didn't know is that all the rooms open on to a wooden porch in both front and back- on long porch, so everyone walking along past your door you hear the thump, thump, of their steps on the wooden porch.

So we paid in the low three digits for a room with no crib for our son, no drinkable water, and loud foot traffic. The pillows were hard and the bed was not comfortable. It was hands-down the worst value of any of the places we stayed on the trip.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank ambrosiamonkey
Reviewed July 31, 2008

We were delighted with our stay here. Staff was very friendly & helpful (even responding within minutes to vacuum after we unknowingly tracked sand burrs into the room!) Room was bright, clean, comfortable. Best of all was location -- our room faced the ocean with nothing between us & the water except some grass & the beach. The hotel provides comfortable chairs on the patio outside the room -- totally relaxing!

when reserving a room - ask for a room facing the water. the few rooms that face the highway would probably be disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ClevelandJP
Reviewed June 23, 2008

My husband and I loved this place. After a long drive up the Pacific Coast Highway from San Francisco, we were looking for a peaceful, relaxing setting. We checked in and the room, although definitely dated, offered everything we needed for the night and was exceptionally clean. I immediately opened the sliding glass doors that opened up to the beach and ventured out to check out the surf. Within 5 minutes I met some folks who recommended the restaurant next door and invited us to join them later that evening as they were planning to build a fire on the beach. After a very nice meal, we did indeed join them and had a wonderful conversation in a perfectly idyllic setting. There aren't too many places that still allow you to build fires on the beach. We retired to our room and felt perfectly safe leaving the sliding door open so that we could enjoy the sound of the surf.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ocsurvivor
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Pros: friendly, helpful staff; great location right on the beach; porch facing the beach

Cons: Small rooms; uncomfortable pillows

Neutral: Restaurant next door is OK but a bit overpriced for what you get (the service is top-notch however)

Stayed: June 2008
4  Thank peterbaer
Reviewed May 5, 2008

We stayed here on our trip through the redwoods. The kids loved this place because the beach is right outside the sliding glass door. The beach is large and flat so the kids had a blast. There really is no breakfast. The room was fairly small and old but very clean. The bed was very firm and I had a hard time sleeping but I'd stay there again for the location! The drains also didn't seem to keep up. 101 is right outside the front door. The view was incredible. I'm going to include some pictures. Also, the Chart room which is on Anchor way (the first left going north) has great food with a wonderful view of the marina and seals and sea lions. We had breakfast and dinner there. Nothing fancy but a fun place.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Anchor Beach Inn
#7 of 19 in Crescent City
Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast
BEST WESTERN Beachfront Inn

Been to Crescent Beach Motel? Share your experiences!