“Beyond Terrible”

Super 8 Crescent City
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Reviewed September 18, 2006

We prepaid a premium rate of over $115/night for a room that smelled like cat urine and had a tiny window. We were initially told that we would have to "put up with it" because we had a pet as well. (Which we paid extra for at the desk) After 30 minutes of talking, we finally got a new room, which was no better than the first with the exception of a larger window and a mini fridge. Both rooms were damp and smelled awful, and the touted amenities (i.e., laundry, breakfast, pet friendliness, etc.) were non existant. The only thing that worked was the ice machine. The saddest part about it was that this was the (from the looks of the city) the BEST place available to stay. If you are going to the Redwood Forest, do yourself a favor and stay as close to San Francisco as possible, or don't stay at all.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Reviewed July 9, 2006

I enjoyed my stay at the Super 8. I had a sort of unique request. I am handicapped, so needed a handicapped room, we brought a dog, so needed a place to bed her down for the night too, and wanted a "view room". Well, the clerk was going to give me a "view room" until he realized I was handicapped and would only have access to a ground level room. A ground level room has a "view" of the vehicle parked in front of the room. He had a point. The dog was no problem. I was given a handicapped accessable room in the rear building, right on the ground floor with parking right out front. SUPER!. My only complaint was that the room was ADA (with a huge 10x12 bathroom, tiled floor and grips all over the shower area....couldn't have been better), but the parking was not. One handicapped parking space was up against and fence and another handicapped parking space. The second one had a 2 foot striped loading area (6 foot wide is required to meet Federal Standards and unload a chair on a ramp. . If I had a lift for my powerchair (I brought a manual wheelchair), that wouldn't have worked. (Another handicapped gentleman was in a van and took a room across the parking lot he could load and unload his power wheel chair using his ramp, but had no handicapped shower or bathroom in his accomodations....his choice). But the room was clean, the carpet had a couple spots and the chairs at the table showed a little wear. I got a good deal on the room, location was great, nice and quiet. Had everything I needed. I'll be back.

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank Bluesman97501
Reviewed June 30, 2006

I've kind of blocked out my experience with this particular Super 8 but hopefully you"ll get the idea. It was far from clean, the beds were uncomfortable and the bathroom was very small. So small in fact, that when my young son had finished using the bathrom and needed some assistance, he had to turn sideways on the toilet just so I could get the door open without whacking his knees. Now, I could have over looked all this except I have the habit of checking the pillows before I lay my head on them ... or let my kids lay their heads on them .. and to my shock one of the pillows was so disgusting I couldn't believe it. It wasn't just slightly stained, it was completely covered in brown and yellow stains and had a 3 or 4 inch long tear right in the middle. It was absolutely revolting and the fact that they would expect someone to lay their head on that thing still amazes me to this day. We all ended up sleeping on top of the blankets and used jackets for pillows.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank lsmanzano
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 6, 2005

It's a place to lay your head while on the road. Clean ; but unexciting.

Weren't may restaurants aound.

• Stayed: June 2005
Reviewed May 30, 2005

We arrived at the hotel to find out that they had only booked us for 2 adults and not the kids or the dog. They did straighten that out, though it cost us more money. The website for this hotel states that they have rollaway beds, which is what we wanted for the kids, yet when we arrived we were told that they don't even have rollaway beds. The website also states that there is a restaurant on site, which there isn't, and that they have a continental breakfast (I understand that continental breakfasts are normally juice, coffee, muffins, bagels, donuts) but there was not restaurant on site, only down the road, and the continental breakfast was donuts, a few muffins, and one kind of juice in the jug from the grocery store. The hotel then ran out of the breakfast food so 2 of us plus a lot of others at the hotel did not get to eat there meaning more money out of our pocket (that we weren't prepared to spend) to go out to breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed August 6, 2004

This was one of the few hotels in the area that would accept pets. The management was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and the carpet, bedspread and towels were in fine shape. Hey, this ain't the Ritz...it's a Super 8 for pete's sake. We were very comfortable here, stayed for two days, did some hiking in the Redwoods...beautiful area.

• Stayed: July 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed June 2, 2004

Had a very bad experience. The key to enter the room would not come off the door! Managed to enter the room after wrestling with the key- was welcomed by a dirty, stained carpet that had seen better days. The room was very small, certainly not worth the price for the room ( $ 63). To top it all the towels were dirty, I could actually see some yellow crusts on one of the towels. The management replaced the towels, and this time there were no visible stains, only strands of long hair stuck to the towels. I will never go to Super 8 again.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member