“So Dirty We Couldn't Sleep”

Super 8 Crescent City
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
spokane wa
“So Dirty We Couldn't Sleep”
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Two Adults and one little dog arrived late at night just wanting a place to sleep until we could get to the county courthouse when they opened at 9am. Super 8 was the only choice. They charged us $99 for a room that was filthy. So creepy that we would only set our luggage down in the bathtub. Looked the room over and at least didn't find any signs of bedbugs. The blanket on our bed had crusty places..ewwwwww. Took the blanket from the other bed...but saw the same story. Crusty stuff in addition to burn holes (this was a non-smoking room). I went to the hotel office and asked for another blanket. Was told that the blankets were clean and what I was seeing was just because they were old. I insisted on a blanket from the laundry room and was taken there. The clerk opened the door and found one clean blanket on a shelf. It was the only blanket on the shelf. Tossed and turned all night. Left very early the next morning and hung out at a breakfast joint until the courthouse opened. So gross I will never stay at any Super 8 again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank treegrls

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Portland, OR
Reviewed August 23, 2008

One needs to factor in the cost of a motel for a review. This seems to be one of the cheaper motels to stay in at Crescent City. I stayed here a few nights. On the plus side: low price, small microwave and small refrigerator in the room. On the negative side: the rooms do show some age in places. The pillows under the new pillow covers appeared to be pretty old. Door, shower stall door, bathroom window also showed some age. Towels were pretty thin and lower priced towels, but functional. Room did have a nice new bathroom granite counter. I did not try the internet or the continental breakfast. The breakfast looked very limited, but I had planned on eating out anyway. Another negative was the motel's policy of swiping your credit card and charging you for your room for all the nights prior to giving you the key. Most motels wait and charge your card when you checkout. They seem also to stick to the 24 hour notice to cancel for your 2nd day of stay even if you arrive late the first day. One tip to anyone staying in Crescent City at any hotel: keep in mind the city has a fog horn in the bay. It blasts for 1 second, every 8 seconds, sometimes all through the night. I bought earplugs for the second night and was able to sleep. There is no AC in the room or a room fan that could otherwise drown out the fog horn going all night long. You can open the front window to let some cool air in, but you'll hear the foghorn even more. You can look at it like this: Do you want a nicer room for about $40 at another hotel in town or do you want a room will a little less shine and take the $40 savings and eat a nice restaurant in town. In the end, I would stay again at this hotel if staying in Crescent City, if I'm wanting to save money. I'm not sure the other hotels are worth the extra $30 or $40 a night. I will say the Super 8 in Fortuna, CA is nicer.

• Stayed July 2008
2 Thank Aroadtripper
BC
Reviewed July 18, 2007

This motel is old and they are renovating the front section however when we arrived the workers were jackhammering cement and the desk clerk told us they would only work until 7:00 p.m. or so! Only! The first 2 nonsmoking rooms were smokey but the 3rd was OK - I always carry room spray so that helped get rid of the chemical smell. The desk clerk was not helpful at all acting like I was a complainer because I would not stay in a smokey room. The place was very noisy even after the workers left.

• Liked — across from marina
  • Disliked — very expensive for a poor quality room
  • Stayed July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
Reviewed July 7, 2007

We won't do that one again. Many other places to stay in Crescent City, pick another one. The place is wasting away, not much reinvestment. Rotting wood, shaby outside, and inside. Room was clean but terrible choice of decor and workmanship. Red carpeting. Smelled. Internet didn't work. Skipped breakfast; old donuts, frozen bagels, had to ask for forks and knives. Lobby locked up until 7:15 am and breakfast wasn't out until 7:30. Management acted "put out" at having to accomodate your needs.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank BuckingBronco
Camarillo, Ca
Reviewed September 23, 2006

My wife and I stayed here one night and couldn't wait to leave. The room is old and dirty and they had mold growing on the bathroom ceiling and shower durtain. You are better off trying the Best Western next door. Oh.... and the continental breakfast consisted of day old donuts and terrible tasting coffee. Happy trails....

• Stayed September 2006
Seattle
Reviewed September 18, 2006

We prepaid a premium rate of over $115/night for a room that smelled like cat urine and had a tiny window. We were initially told that we would have to "put up with it" because we had a pet as well. (Which we paid extra for at the desk) After 30 minutes of talking, we finally got a new room, which was no better than the first with the exception of a larger window and a mini fridge. Both rooms were damp and smelled awful, and the touted amenities (i.e., laundry, breakfast, pet friendliness, etc.) were non existant. The only thing that worked was the ice machine. The saddest part about it was that this was the (from the looks of the city) the BEST place available to stay. If you are going to the Redwood Forest, do yourself a favor and stay as close to San Francisco as possible, or don't stay at all.

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay someplace else
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Medford, OR
Reviewed July 9, 2006

I enjoyed my stay at the Super 8. I had a sort of unique request. I am handicapped, so needed a handicapped room, we brought a dog, so needed a place to bed her down for the night too, and wanted a "view room". Well, the clerk was going to give me a "view room" until he realized I was handicapped and would only have access to a ground level room. A ground level room has a "view" of the vehicle parked in front of the room. He had a point. The dog was no problem. I was given a handicapped accessable room in the rear building, right on the ground floor with parking right out front. SUPER!. My only complaint was that the room was ADA (with a huge 10x12 bathroom, tiled floor and grips all over the shower area....couldn't have been better), but the parking was not. One handicapped parking space was up against and fence and another handicapped parking space. The second one had a 2 foot striped loading area (6 foot wide is required to meet Federal Standards and unload a chair on a ramp. . If I had a lift for my powerchair (I brought a manual wheelchair), that wouldn't have worked. (Another handicapped gentleman was in a van and took a room across the parking lot he could load and unload his power wheel chair using his ramp, but had no handicapped shower or bathroom in his accomodations....his choice). But the room was clean, the carpet had a couple spots and the chairs at the table showed a little wear. I got a good deal on the room, location was great, nice and quiet. Had everything I needed. I'll be back.

Stayed July 2006