“Good motel for good price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Crescent City
“Good motel for good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

Apparently some of the other reviewers were expecting a 4 Seasons for a motel price - not going to happen. If you're driving through Crescent City, which is what my husband & I were doing when we decided to stay here, you can't expect much. For what we paid, I thought we got a comfortable room with standard amenities. No, there's no turndown service or a 50" plasma in the room, but our room was very clean, tidy, and everything worked (faucets, toilets, windows etc.) Considering I just got back from Vegas and stayed at a 5-star hotel with a toilet that had a stained & scratched-up seat, this Best Value Inn gets extra points for at least hitting the mark on all the basics. Another noteworthy point - the Owners (at least I think they were) are a really cute older Asian couple who are VERY service-oriented.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sporknotfoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

Great, comfortable and clean place to stay! A great value. The owners are very welcoming and hospitable! I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank MaySus
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

We got to Crescent City too late to camp where we wanted so just looked for a motel, past by a couple of known poor values and thought we would give this one a try - too late to do a Trip Advisor check, just needed a room.
It looked ok in the dark, but by morning we realized that the surfaces you touched were clean, but anything else - windows, grout, walls was grimy. Temperature was cool enough that a noisy air con was not needed, but opening windows meant touching them and listening to the anti-loitering Muzak from some neighbouring establishment.
Shower only, no sharing the bathroom as opening the door meant banging some knees.
Included breakfast was toast and some questionable loaf and cereal; although they did have hard-boiled eggs which was a pleasant surprise.
It was an AAA-listed motel so we expected a bit more.
Don't know how they call themselves Best Value when for $80 there are surely much better values in Crescent City - we really wished we had set up tents in the dark in the Redwoods.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank WithFamilyWillTravel

Travelers are raving about these Crescent City hotels

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

I had intended to stay in Brookings, OR, but couldn't make it that far due to driver fatigue. If I had known then what I know now, I would have chugged a couple of cups of java and driven the extra +/- 20 miles. This place is a dump. The floor creaked like crazy, and I believe it was fortunate for someone that the room below did not appear to be occupied. The pull cords on the curtains were black from use. The bathroom fixtures were from the 50s. The windows were dirty, but, in fairness, this is a seaside environment and exterior maintenance takes time and effort. The walls were patched and the light switches were greasy and stained. The towels were about as thin as they make them and the two bars of soap provided were the size of 50-cent coins. There was a cheery gal at the front desk, but that was only a temporary relief from what was to come. I passed on the complimentary a.m. coffee and doughnut and couldn't get out of town fast enough.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank TooTiredToTravel
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed here for a night on our way up north to Oregon. It's definitely not a fancy place, but the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the service is good. For the price we paid, it was a great value. It's also pretty close to the beach - less than a 5 minute drive so that was a place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

Me and my boyfriend went on a trip up the West coast over the July 4th Holiday. Our stay at this motel was overall better than what we were expecting given other traveler reviews! The location is pretty central (Starbuck's next door is a plus!) and the property was kept nicely. I'd say it's a good place to stay for the proximity to the beach, the redwoods and the Oregon coastline.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coastalsuz
Lowden, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2010

It was getting late on our travel and we needed a place to stay. Not being familiar to this city we noticed a motel that looked decent on the outside..so we took the chance before checking the rooms like we usually do. Went in to the office which looked very nice and talked to the gal at the front desk, first she was in a moody way and made us feel as if we were a bother. Well she practically threw the keys at us as she pushed us out the door with her bossy attitude. Finding our room number was easy since I asked very nicely for a bottom floor room and that is exactly what we got a room that hit flat bottom..when we unlocked the door it was all my muscular husband could do to push the door open as it was a tight fit and stuck!! The first thing I noticed was a musty stench coming from the room right out the door. My husband said just don't worry it is just the smell of the coast....HELLO..it was not a coastal smell it was a musty mildew smell that made me gag!!! It was so strong I was almost in tears. He just laughed at me to try to make me feel better since it was he who made the trip along the coast to late in the day. As we tried to close the door behind us it took a hard slam two times to get it to close..what a joke! The bathrooms were old and the windows were cracked away from the foundation frame letting air and bugs in. Creepy to say the least. I would say about 20 minutes later I was starting to get an allergy sensation as if animals had been in there as I am allergic to cats and dogs..I know there was animals in there. As for taking a shower in that awful shower I chose not to it was a risk I was not willing to take. As for sleeping in the bed I kept my clothes on and slept ontop of the middle blanket. I had to wrap a shirt of mine around my face to keep from getting sick from the smells. The reception was horrible for the so called free internet use..I actually got a better connection from the business next doors. The next morning I heard what appeared to be a starting of a diesel engine sound. I love diesel trucks and thought it was a motel customer leaving this horrible place early and decided to look out the back window. It was a dirty metal business starting up the work trucks and the windows were broke away from the frame enough that the diesel smells were coming in. What an awful experience. Do not stay at this place unless you want to just have a place to try to sleep in. I would have taken the chance to look elsewhere if I had known about this dump. Never again!! I have stayed at last minute hotels before but this was one of the worst. Next morning early..started up our truck and got the "H" out of there, to my horror on my new jacket was white cat hair all over me from sitting in a cloth sitting chair in the room..I about died!! Animals in the rooms were my worst nightmare..I knew it!! My husband has promised me that we will always check the rooms first before throwing our money away. As for other motels..there were others down the way if we had only known.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Travelodge Crescent City
Travelodge Crescent City
#13 of 18 in Crescent City
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!