“Best Value? Uh......not really”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Reviewed August 16, 2006

Folks,

This place has a few problems. Pictures deceive. I'm not sure what compelled us to choose this place, however, I do know this will be a one time deal. Possibly if it had double paned windows. It didn't. Possibly if it wasn't a construction worker mecca. It was. Possibly just a little less noise. I'm not sure it this place can be saved. But there's not much choice in this town. Skip the continental breakfast unless you're into stale and minimal options.

If I haven't mentioned this before, this place is NOISY!! With trafffic noise that doesn't subside until about 3:00 in the morning (what the hell is everyone doing in this city at this time of night) and diesel trucks that idle in the parking lot at 4:00 in the morning, make sure you bring ear plugs if you choose this lodging option.

The room itself was no Taj Mahal. However, we didn't see any bugs as a previous poster mentioned. No air conditoning, but we could open the front and back windows to create a nice draft. No fans in the bathrooms, so the window above the toilet was a nice feature.

The area of town this motel resides is a little questionable. But they are building a new Home Depot right next door, so maybe the area will improve.

Overall, we probably won't stay in Crescent City again, and if we did, it wouldn't be this place. Avoid it unless there's absolutely nothing else available.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JupiterJones
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn

Reviewed July 26, 2006

Not a bad place to stay at all. Didn't like the town itself very much. The decor in my room was very 70's... but clean. The service was good, the bed was ok. The breakfast was nonexistent.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2006

I had to take care of difficult family circumstances for a 2 week period. The staff and accommodations found at this hotel were more than I'd even hoped for...including boiled eggs available for the complimentary breakfast, a wireless computer in the lobby to check email and a consistently friendly, professional staff ready to assist however possible with my needs.
At this price, with my AAA membership, I am very grateful to have found this gem close to the redwoods and very near the ocean. Flying directly in on United Express was only about 10 minutes to this centrally located hotel...my home away from home when I needed it most.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 18, 2006

We were tired, it looked okay, so we stopped for the night. After driving on through town going south, we saw that there were other, newer looking options for an overnight stay.

Staff was polite, but room was ugly - dark red walls, dark paneling. It was a depressing room to be in. It was clean though and the heater worked.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank SSMatriarch
Reviewed September 23, 2005

A decent find. I would recommend this hotel. I found it clean
and a good bargain.

1  Thank Skip G
Reviewed September 12, 2005

My family and I stayed here for one night in August. It was larger than most rooms however not very clean. The window sills had dead bugs and the washroom did not have a fan so there was A LOT of mold on the ceiling and in the shower stall. I felt very uncomfortable. Staff were friendly.

Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank realtyyours
Reviewed July 9, 2005

We did not actually stay here. We were in Crescent City for one night and spent time driving around trying to find somewhere affordable to stay. It was esp. difficult because it was on a holiday. Many places in Crescent City look old/undesirable from the road. This one looked a little better than some of the "absolutely not" properties. The lady on the phone was friendly and we came to view a room. It was circa 1968 and fairly discouraging. While it did seem clean, I could only see myself spending the night there as a last resort, esp. for $79. The carpet was specifically terrible, but we did see a roll of carpet out on a sidewalk, so maybe this is being replaced. I would not recommend the property. While Crescent City didn't offer many great choices, there were other places besides the Best Value motel. We ended up staying at the BAYVIEW LODGE for $99. It was a huge step up and was very comfortable.

Stayed: July 2005