“Great campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Jedediah Smith Campground
Location Required
“Great campground”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I've camped here three different times now (twice in December and once in April) and loved it each time. Trees are HUGE in this campground and the sites are fairly private for a car campground if you find the right site. Campers seem considerate and noise has never been an issue for me.

Large sections of the campground are closed to camping during the winter and spring but you can still walk through those areas (nice if you have a dog). The campground is right on the Smith River too, so that's another bonus.

Make sure to drive the nearby Howland Hills Road when you visit too! The road winds through a fabulous stretch of redwood trees and is spectacular.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Pete S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chico, CA
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I planned a trip up the coast. We usually stay at Patrick's point, but I wanted to try out something new and check out Jedediah Smith Campground. I looked at pictures online and couldn't wait!

We were somewhat disappointed once we pulled in. Many of the campgrounds were roped off, and the road was in disrepair. All of the bathrooms were closed except for the one near check in. The sites were not especially private. We were still excited about staying until we saw the price... $35?! We turned around and headed out where we found a much nicer campground for $19 cheaper a night just inside Oregon.

I would consider returning again if we were staying for more than one night. The area was extremely beautiful and lush. We enjoyed hiking in this park, but for camping we will stick with Patrick's point.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kasey K
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was a beautiful campground, with many of the sites backing onto the gorgeous Smith River. (Some of these sites have better or worse views.) Bathrooms clean and functional as campground bathrooms go.

Room Tip: Consult the campground maps available online to find a site that backs onto the river
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dieWelt1
seattle
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

This campground is great and the river beach is something else and very swimmable. Campground was quiet but pricey. We had the bathrooms further down, which had good showers and were clean, and were not set up the same way as the ones described in thd other review. The campsite is 5 mins from stout grove, a great walk midst the giant trees and the kids loved climbing all around.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank vivatommy
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I are avid tent campers, and have traveled all over the US and Canada, exploring one campsite at a time - and this is one of the most memorable experiences for us!! The lush surroundings were absolutely breathtaking; I was in awe of the towering, beautiful redwoods all around us! The redwoods also offered a lot of privacy for our campsite, which is something that I really appreciated.

I highly recommend this campsite to anyone who wants an up-close and personal encounter with the Redwood Forest! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kristian T
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at site 22 in a motor home. The site was the largest and most private I have ever camped in in an RV. We had a walking path to a nice beach on the vey clean river. Wonderful visitor center. This was one of our favorite places in Redwood National park.

Room Tip: I think site 22 is the best site in the ark if you like privacy. It is close to the river, but not...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank twintravelers04
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My wife and I just spent four nights camping here with our tent trailer. I have some positive comments but many more negative ones. The campground fee is expensive, priced too much for sites without RV hookups. It's the most I've ever seen for a State Park. There are showers but you have to pay and even the firewood is costly. The campground has new restrooms but their design is crazy. Instead of a standard men's and women's, each with 4 toilets -- like you see everywhere -- the buildings have 4 showers and 4 private unisex restrooms. The result is that you have to keep circling the building, trying the doors until one opens. Of course there are always several others playing this game with you. Now I'm a guy. Most restroom trips are fast but here, you have to wait with the women. There's more: you're waiting for people to leave the private restroom each with sinks so you're also waiting for them to do their morning/evening routine, makeup, whatever. I'll move on after I make one more point. Like I said, I'm a guy. No matter how long I wait, when an older lady comes up, of course I let her go first. Bathroom waits exceeded 20 minutes every day. OK, moving on: the campground has clouds of mosquitoes, so bring Deet. It's beautiful and the trees are amazing. It's quiet. I figure the steep fees keep the young people and their loud music away.

• Stayed July 2012
Anchor Beach Inn
Anchor Beach Inn
#7 of 18 in Crescent City
Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast

Been to Jedediah Smith Campground? Share your experiences!