Review Highlights
Amazing drive!

This drive is really special. The redwoods are EVERYWHERE, and you are driving around them, up... read more

Reviewed August 24, 2022
Davigeta
Saint Louis, Missouri
Great fun, great pictures, great memories

Beautiful drive through giant coastal redwood in northern california. If you came to see the big... read more

Reviewed July 17, 2022
402danec

All reviews beautiful drive stout grove the boy scout tree trail pull over state park giant trees smith river cars redwoods pullouts route access avenue mile california
Selected filters
Reviewed July 18, 2017

This road was absolutely the best part of our whole Highway 101 trip. Absolutely cannot miss. Our little wimpy car did great. It is a dirt road, but absolutely passable by mid to small vehicles (no motorhomes, trailers, etc.) Mosquitos were a little heavy, but we enjoyed it from the car. Drive slow, and enjoy it.

2  Thank MarkieAnn
Reviewed July 13, 2017 via mobile

This is a great scenic route. You can park along the road and hike. We hiked down to the Boy Scout tree and to the falls. The view is great, but the roads are narrow and pothole filled. Drive carefully.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed July 2, 2017

The idea of driving through a near pristine State Forest of old growth redwoods sounded great. We also are not afraid of bad roads, but this road is one lane full of pot holes and very few pull outs. The most unpleasant thing about this drive is that there are far, far to many people on it and as stated very few places to pull over. If I were to do this drive again I would go between 6Am and no later than 9 AM. Then perhaps you can enjoy the sights from this very bumpy road, of the old growth redwood groves without constantly backing up, pulling over, being pushed and covered by tons of fine red dust

2  Thank Trinityfly
Reviewed June 24, 2017

And I didn't wet my pants once! OK, I hate both heights and tight spaces. So, I did this anyway. A friend drove her brand new Prius up this road, thank god, 'cause I would never have taken my full-size pick-up on this road. By the time I found out what it was like, I would have hiked back down, leaving my truck for scavengers! An old stagecoach route, and built for it. Be prepared to take it slow, pull out many times, and be awestruck--an overused, but appropriate word for these amazing trees, and the road that winds tightly between them. Walk into the Stout Grove, take awhile to feel the peace and strength of these old, old, beings. I've noticed that people quit talking, children quit screaming, and the trees do their magic in places like this. Many thanks to my friend who ignored my fears and gave me such a wonderful gift.

2  Thank Lee L
Reviewed June 21, 2017

Yes, it's so worth it to take this road. The hikes are stunning but even the drive is amazing. Truly.

1  Thank s0metrips