“The highlight of our trip...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Curly Redwood Lodge
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Let me begin by saying what high standards my family and I have for our vacation accomodations. We weren't planning on stopping in Crescent City, but were lured in by the unique and charming look of the Curly Redwood. Once we checked into our room we were pleasantly surprised by the spaciousness and comfort of the large, retroesque rooms. We enjoyed a pleasant 2 nights at the Lodge and a fun 2 days at the beach that refreshed us for the rest of our coastal journey. We are happy to recommend to any northern California travelers the respite of the Curly Redwood Lodge.

Happily on our way,

The Blackwelder Family

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank happytotravelll

Reviewed June 20, 2007

We decided to take a last minute trip to the Redwoods and North Coast for Memorial Day Weekend. We also didn't want to spend a lot of money. I read a couple of other reviews for this property and figured we would give it a try. I booked it on Thrusday, less than 48 hours before arrival and got the last room available.

We stayed Saturday and Sunday night and it came to less than $115 for the weekend. We had an upstairs room, which was spacious. The bed was fine, not too hard. When driving, we usually bring our own pillows, but forgot this time. That is my one true complaint - the pillows were awful. We went to the front desk to get a couple more. They were of the same thinness. The fully enclosed bath was a decent size, but only had a stand up shower, though the bottom of the enclosure looked like a child sized tub.

The room was quiet. The Lodge faces Highway 101, but traffic was light and the loudest thing we heard was the fog horn. Across the street is the Fisherman Restaurant. We ate there both mornings, and the eggs benedict with cod was almost as good as the smoked salmon omelette with cream cheese.

For an inexpensive place to stay, I would recommend this Lodge. The staff was pleasant, the facilities were clean and it was quiet!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank solslett
Reviewed June 1, 2007

While planning a trip through northern CA I read quite a few articles and reviews about this older property and thought it would be a change from the chain properties we were booking in other cities (Quality Inn, La Quinta, Motel 6). I'm really glad we stopped here.

I'm surprised by the previous review citing poor customer service. My experiences both making the reservation by phone and checking in were pleasant. We didn't even know that breakfast was included (at a Casino about a mile away). The clerk gave us the coupon and provided directions to the Casino without asking. (BTW, we opted for the "take $2 off menu breakfast" rather than the free breakfast and were presented with huge portions by a wonderful waitress.)

The room was large and clean, the bathroom had a stall shower only, and the location was good. For around $55 a night, it's a good value. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kcl491
Reviewed May 6, 2007

Clean cabin rooms. More stucco than redwood.
If you dont remind the desk staff about the breakfast they wont offer.
Their internet doesn't work.
If you complain you'll get a look that makes you chill.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank gomyers
Reviewed May 4, 2007

Our room was very spacious and clean with comfy beds, seating area and a large bathroom. Our hostess was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included in the cost at the Elk Valley Casino a few miles out of town. I would definitely stay again!

Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed April 16, 2007

I arrived at the Curly Redwood on a Friday night and the motel seemed to be doing a pretty good business. The front desk help wasnt exactly welcoming, but they werent rude at all, and I checked into my room without issue. My big concern was that although the individual parking spaces were well-lit, the closest available location for me to park near my room was in a gravel lot on the side of the motel. I wasnt really comfortable with this, but I had driven six hours and almost all of the parking in front of the lobby was taken. When I got to my room, I was astounded with two things: 1) the gigantic size of the room itself and b) how cold it was inside. Im not sure if I'm spoiled, but I'm use to having a motel room somewhat warm when I walk in for the first time. I immediately walked to the thermostat, which controlled the antiquated and often-noisy baseboard heater. It eventually got quite toasty in the room, but it took awhile. My room was located along a second-floor corridor and there was a noticeable gap at the bottom of the door which allowed the light from the hallway to shine inside. My absolute favorite thing about the room was its retro style. Although bleak otherwise, the room contained some fantastic 50s/60s lighting fixtures. The bathroom was most impressive with the pink-tiled shower free of cracks or broken tiles. I felt like I was the first person to ever shower there. Yes, the room wouldnt have won any decor prizes, but it was definitely a clean establishment. By the time I left, the motel had sort of "grown on me" and I appreciated its rare character. For the $52 that I paid, I got a clean room. Unfortunately, the spartan-nature of the rooms, the heating system and the parking situation didnt make my stay as comfortable as it could have been.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank roadtripphene
Reviewed October 30, 2006

I wanted to stay here as the fact that it was made from a redwood appealed to me and it was the first one I saw as we entered Crescent City. It was very cheap at $45 plus tax.

The lady who checked us in seemed to have an attitude, or perhaps she didn't understand my British humour as the lady who was on duty in the morning was very friendly.

Our room was so large it made the king bed look very small and had a wardrobe and cupboards of polished redwood. There was only one bedside table, a large tv (no coffee maker) and the bathroom had a shower only. There was a funny smell in the room (I don't know what) and the bed felt damp. Reception was supposed to open at 7.30am for complimentary coffee, but didn't open until 7.45.

As the hotel is across from the harbour, my husband was kept awake all night by the hooter on the harbour buoy.

We had a good dinner and breakfast in the Fishermans Restaurant just across the road, spent a pleasant evening watching seals in the harbour and the sunset was beautiful.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
BEST WESTERN Beachfront Inn
Anchor Beach Inn
Anchor Beach Inn
#7 of 19 in Crescent City

Been to Curly Redwood Lodge? Share your experiences!