“Safe and Quiet”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Curly Redwood Lodge
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Reviewed July 24, 2006

This was my second stay with the Curly Redwood Lodge. I originally chose the property 3 years ago as an overnight stop after a long antiquing trip from Portland to San Francisco. I was a single woman traveling alone and wanted a room that I wouldn't have to walk far to get to since I need to haul in all my purchases. The motel was a true gem. I chose a ground floor room--A real key to open the door, fluffy rug under my feet, comfortable surroundings, and a covered parking space for my car not 8 feet from the room door.

My husband and I recently repeated the antiquing trip and we stayed at the hotel again and were just as pleased.

I also lament not having the convenience of in-room coffee. Coffee was offered in the lobby but they keep late hours (7:30am - 11pm, I believe) which was too late in the morning for us early birds. There was a restaurant just across the street and I picked up coffee there. We had neighbors on both sides but didn't hear them--I've only stayed in ground floor rooms, maybe the soundproofing is different upstairs.

Although the rooms are sparsely decorated, the furniture is vintage and quite charming. The woodwork is a marvel and very interesting. I might suggest, though, that it IS time to change the artwork and linens to something more in keeping with the hotel's 1950/60's theme.

Overall the property is a great value and I look forward to staying with them again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank CAHeadHunter

Reviewed July 16, 2006

I stayed at the Curly Redwood Lodge with my husband and two children. I was told I was getting a two room suite. I guess it had two rooms but that's it. The ice machine was broken, the beds were hard and the furnishings were old and somewhat ratty. They advertise that it is a blast from the past like when you traveled with your parents in the 60's and I believe that. I don't think it has been renovated since it was built. The worst aspect of this hotel/lodge was the paper thin walls. I listened to the guests in the next room late into the night. They were just speaking normally, no party but could be heard and understood perfectly. I would not stay here again. There are several other "nicer" lodging choices at about the same price and some even with a bay view.

3  Thank Debie2004
Reviewed June 8, 2006

The motel itself is definitely like time traveling. Nothing much has changed about it. However, something about it definitely creeped me out. I didn't like how it was on the side of a highway...definitely had a David Lynch quality about it.

Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank librarianofbabel
Reviewed April 1, 2006

I highly recommend the Curly Redwood Lodge. It's not so much a lodge as a motel, with parking just outside your room's door. The entire place was crafted from a single redwood tree, and there is attractive woodwork in the rooms. The decor is early sixties--it's the motel that time forgot. Everything is spotlessly clean, in excellent condition, and looks to be original. Fabulous vintage details! I especially liked the bathroom tile. Rooms are large and comfortable, and have tv's and phones. No internet access, and our room had a walk-in shower but no tub. The only amenity that we really missed was an in-room coffee maker, so we went to a nearby Wal-Mart and bought one for $10. Since our basic room cost only $45 per night, it was well worth it. All in all, a terrific value!
Note: we visited during "low" season and didn't have next-door neighbors. It was extremely peaceful.

• Stayed: March 2006
10  Thank stainless_steel
A TripAdvisor Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Reviewed August 14, 2005

Me, my husband, two kids stayed it was great staff treated us very well. Room was great felt like home. Really enjoyed my stay, will definately come back and stay at the Curly Redwood Lodge. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 13, 2005

This motel is the old fashioned motor inn type that I stayed at as a kid. While the place is dated, the rooms are clean, big and you can park directly outside your room. The front desk staff is very friendly. Our room was very clean, but the furnishings are very dated....not a bad thing. It just brings you back. One small issue is no three prong electrical outlets. So, if you want to plug in a three pronged device, make certain to bring an adapter.
We'd stay here again. We got the double queen room for about $79 by calling the motel directly.

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank whodking
Reviewed August 12, 2005

After a long day of traveling, who would not be terribly disappointed with a non-working shower, only to find out that the motel office was closed, and no showers could be had until the next day?!? This was our experience at the "Curly"... So, hop in bed and then be prepared for the loud-and-clear snoring that easily carries through the ceiling, allowing us to monitor the breathing habits of our neighbor above us! The office staff simply offered a "sorry" regarding the shower the next morning (no refund, discount, or even concern), and when pressed, finally offered to let us wash in the room next door, after that guest had checked out. The problem was the bathroom had not been cleaned and we had to ask for that small detail... Oh, did I mention that the motorcycles and cars parked RIGHT outside our "suite" revved their engines bright and early??? The layout of the motel is retro, apparently in the day when man did not consider travelers primitive needs, such as sleep, etc. So much for "charm"; we left exhausted and several of us dirty and un-showered. In conclusion, I would strongly suggest folks avoid this motel which seemed so alluring and cozy on the net! Not even close!!!

• Stayed: July 2005