“No frills, but clean and inexpensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Curly Redwood Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Curly Redwood Lodge
You added Curly Redwood Lodge to your Saves list
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Downey, California
“No frills, but clean and inexpensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed here with my husband and two teenage daughters. Yes. they were disappointed there wasn't a pool or flat screen TV, but we had spent quite a lot on hotels in the previous few nights, and I was looking for something a little more budget friendly. When we pulled up, the motel reminded them of the motel from the Disney movie "Cars". Our room was large, but again, no frills (No microwave or fridge) and the furniture was dated, but that was part of the look - very retro. It was clean, and that is my main concern. There were no bad smells (as some others have stated), the property was well maintained, and it met our needs for the evening. They have coffee in the lobby in the morning, and the staff was friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Keene, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Clearly this is a lodging experience that will not satisfy everyone. I get where some of the less flattering reviews are coming from. The decor and amenities were dated, for sure. But the room was neat and clean and the property was well maintained. We stayed in a half-dozen different hotels during this trip west. I saw the Curley Redwood Lodge in my research and knew that it was not going to be the Hilton - anyone who was surprised by the accommodations was either not paying attention when checking out their website or they are delusional. We had fun, the place was clean and very reasonable and the owners were friendly and helpful. What more can you ask for? Oh! And then there's the single curley redwood tree that supplied the 57,000 board feet of building materials. That was kind of interesting!

• 3 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Robert W
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

My, what a charming motel! It really brings back feelings of nostalgia and it's quite wonderful.

The history of the hotel itself is impressive, but I won't go into that. The rooms are spacious and decorated with fun Redwood furniture. Everything is clean, though outdated (though that's the charm).

Staff is warm and friendly. The exterior is lovely. Views are a can't miss!

This is our second time staying here, and we'd definitely come back for stay number three! :)

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank WanderingAdventures
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The motel was "carved out of a single red wood tree" - there - thats the excitement, and its all down hill from there. Each room has some redwood panels in it, ok. The rooms were outdated, and smelled like moth balls. The carpeting was shag and who knows what was living it it was so old. The shower was a plastic shell crammed in a corner, the comforter and bedding, well, need to be replaced. The furnishing were old. My kids found a dead bug under the sheet, an earwig to be exact, so that was the bed I got to sleep on luck me. We checked for bed bugs and didnt see any (just saying we had to do this). I dont think a dime was put into this place since it was built in the 50s. I thought the staff were a bit grumpy. The town itself is sketchy. We tried to have a nice time at the beach, but were this homeless person (who appeard to be on drugs) kept trying to horn in on our fire, and we eventually had to leave the beach entirely. My kids were kind of freaked out for several hours and she became known as the infamous "sea hag", and a great halloween costume idea. If you are looking for a place to stay, I would find another hotel, and maybe even another city.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank EricG123
crlodge701, General Manager at Curly Redwood Lodge, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Let me correct you on a few because it seems you haven’t experienced much in historic properties, antiques, coastal towns, homeless people and the list goes on. Our furniture is original from the 50s, our showers are all tiled, not plastic, carpeting is high end low pile (not shag, though we did have it in the early 70s). We are a "blast from the past" favored by many who remember traveling with their parents and staying in large comfortable rooms with a home like atmosphere. We continue to keep our property in pristine shape, inside and out. In general you didn’t like anything our beautiful lodge and costal town has to offer, your loss. Happy travels!
Orangevale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My mom and I stayed for two nights in July and everything was wonderful. My mom lives in Oregon and I was up visiting her from California when her air conditioner quit working at her house. Too hot at her house so made a last minute getaway. Staff was friendly, room was clean and will be staying there again.

1 Thank Paula M
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

What a find! We loved our last minute decision to stay at the Curly....
Clean and the rooms are huge! The shower was great.. haven't seen one like it for ages.. baby tub for soaking feet.... Over all a great find and recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bandmdunkley
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We arrived for a 3 day stay, but stayed 12. We found places and people we became friendly with and decided to hang around. Crescent City has it's good and bad like everywhere else including where we're from, Hawaii. But we enjoyed friendly people that said hi, excuse me, can I help you, or just smiled with a big hello. The ocean was calm and the fisherman brought in their fresh catch. We were right across the street from it all.
The staff at Curly Redwood is exceptional, the room was comfortable, and the price genuinely reasonable. We liked it here and rarely stay at any vist longer than 3 days.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#11 of 19 in Crescent City
3.0 of 5 stars 170 reviews

Been to Curly Redwood Lodge? Share your experiences!