“Sushi”
Review of 85 Main

85 Main
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Putnam
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chef and General Manager James Martin, along with brothers Barry and Brian Jessurun of The Vanilla Bean Café in Pomfret and Dog Lane Café in Storrs, opened 85 main in 2005. 85 main was created with goal of offering fresh, quality seafood and steaks along with locally grown produce in an atmosphere one might expect to find in a "big" city. The emphasis is on fresh ingredients and cooked-to-order menu items. The interior of the building was completely remodeled, creating a warm, inviting and casual dining environment. During the warmer months, the outdoor patio is open for dining.
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Great sushi menu. Lots to love. Everything is great here. My wife adores the mushroom risotto.
Restaurant has a great warm vibe, super outside seating too for any summer night to watch the world go by.

There are newer reviews for 85 Main

Reviewed September 2, 2013

The food was excellent, if a little on the pricey side. Everyone was very happy with their meals. The menu is vast and there is something for everyone. We held our rehearsal dinner in the downstairs room, which was a good plan as the main dining area can get noisy.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Terrible experience even though I like the food at 85 Main and respect the place in theory. We brought friends from out of town to have a meal there over the 4th of July weekend and it was a disaster. We chose to sit indoors and found the main dining room to be very warm right from the start. When we asked our server whether the inside room--the seafood/oyster bar part of the restaurant--would be cooler, she said DEFINITIVELY "NO!" and so, having driven almost an hour to get to Putnam, we stayed where we were. It only got hotter as the evening wore on. The fan over our table was not working, our server was visibly sweating and if these friends were less kind they would have walked out on us. Only when I went to the restroom and walked though the oyster bar did I feel like a moron and feel duped: the area in that part of the establishment was FAR COOLER and our meal might have been a pleasant visit rather than an ordeal. The server was inattentive at best, to be honest, and I would agree with other reviewers here that the service at 85 Main is NOT up to the food--there is a wide and almost impossible-to-negotiate gap between the two. The food is terrific--why can't the service be friendly, attentive, informed and pleasant?

1  Thank Dr R M
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Never disappointed, The food and service are over the top! Don't miss the wild mushroom ravioli, and Asian beef appetizer. Oh and did I mention the sushi? YUM! Always a variety of oysters on the half shell or fried on salads. This is worth a trip from across the state! Thanks goodness I live 10 minutes away...

1  Thank Revgregory4
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This restaurant is amazing. I have a brother who is a world traveler and food connoisseur; he insists we go to 85 Main when he visits, deeming it one of the best restaurants he's eaten at! I have a hard time trying something other than that fantastic 1/2 chicken , but I have done so and am never disappointed. They even had homemade gluten free bread for my sister in law! Definitely a "Must Go"

1  Thank legof65