“Eclectic cuisine and happy staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of 85 Main

85 Main
Ranked #1 of 46 Restaurants in Putnam
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Chef and General Manager James Martin, along with brothers Barry and Brian Jessurun of The Vanilla Bean Café in Pomfret and Dog Lane Café in Storrs, opened 85 main in 2005. 85 main was created with goal of offering fresh, quality seafood and steaks along with locally grown produce in an atmosphere one might expect to find in a "big" city. The emphasis is on fresh ingredients and cooked-to-order menu items. The interior of the building was completely remodeled, creating a warm, inviting and casual dining environment. During the warmer months, the outdoor patio is open for dining.
San Francisco, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Eclectic cuisine and happy staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

The menu will take you in lots of different directions - all good. We enjoyed a large portion of mussels for an appetizer, Chevre salad, grilled salmon and a sushi roll. Reasonable prices, excellent quality, happy staff. We live in the SF bay area so we know good restaurants. We would be proud to claim this one. In PUTNUM?? Who knew? Please, just go there.

Visited June 2013

“Hit or Miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Having heard much praise for 85 Main, my wife and I decided to stop in for dinner on a Wednesday night. Interesting interior. Seated quickly in the bar area. Large, varied menu: raw bar, sushi, pub/bistro fare. Drinks were good. 'Lager' misspelled on the menu. Ordered mediterranean calamari sauté for an app, caesar salads, PEI mussels, and 'stars and stripes' maki. Calamari was excellent. Caesar salad wasn't anything special; one would have been plenty for the both of us; anchovies weren't very fresh tasting. Mussels weren't very appetizing either; and neither was my wife's sushi. Large portions. Overall, we were very underwhelmed by our first visit.

• Visited May 2013
Providence, Rhode Island
“Nothing to Rave About”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Although I had been to 85 in the past it was usually in the afternoons when it wasn't as crowded. So, I was a bit disappointed when I took friends there last night.
On a positive note, we did get seated quickly despite the fact that we had no reservation. Another positive was that the servers were polite and personable. However, the table was too small for 4 adults and we were constantly shifting glasses,breads plates, vase and salt and pepper shakers around trying to make ourselves more comfortable. When I looked around it appeared that most adults looked out of place at the small tables and the larger the people the more pronounced the discomfort was. Additionally, the meals took too long to come out of the kitchen. Finally the food, although good, was overpriced. My husband paid $19.00 for fish and chips (one piece of fish draped over a few fries and a portion of coleslaw). The price was too high for what he got.
I will go back to 85 Main but I will return during lunch time when I can sit at a normal sized table and munch on less expensive appetizers.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Bee53
Holland, Massachusetts
“Unexpected gem with lots of choices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time in Putnam. We had an early dinner on a Friday. It was the first beautiful day of the season and we ate outside under trees, umbrellas and among potted flowers. The view was of the quaint commercial downtown. Staff was very nice and the food was awesome! We shared several items and loved everything. Great veggie sushi and seaweed salad - perhaps the best cheese and spread platter either of us had ever had - an awesome salad topped with grilled salmon, green beans & caramelized onions. We will definitely go back often, it is worth the 30 minute trip.

Visited May 2013
Rhode Island
“Good lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was visiting a friend in Putnam this past Thursday and she took me to lunch here. I wish I lived closer! It was a nice space. Inside and outside dining. Would have loved to eat outside on their cute little patio,but was a bit chilly. We ate at a hightop in the bar. Our waitress(manager?)was lovely. We started with martini's! How fun! I had the dirty and my friend had the Pear. YUM.
We then each had the clam/corn chowder. Delicious. Just the right consistency! We chose two entree's to share. The crabcake with greens. And a cheeseburger. The Santa Cruz. Both really good. My only comment would be that the crabcake really was rather small for an entree. We split it and the burger,so combined with the chowder and our drink was PLENTY....but I would have been disappointed if that was my entire lunch. We then had coffee and the cheesecake of the day which was coconut. Yummy. I love a girls lunch where there is no rush,just one course after the next. We both enjoyed it alot!

• Visited April 2013