“Superior dishes”
Review of 85 Main

85 Main
Ranked #1 of 47 Restaurants in Putnam
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Chef and General Manager James Martin, along with brothers Barry and Brian Jessurun of The Vanilla Bean Café in Pomfret and Dog Lane Café in Storrs, opened 85 main in 2005. 85 main was created with goal of offering fresh, quality seafood and steaks along with locally grown produce in an atmosphere one might expect to find in a "big" city. The emphasis is on fresh ingredients and cooked-to-order menu items. The interior of the building was completely remodeled, creating a warm, inviting and casual dining environment. During the warmer months, the outdoor patio is open for dining.
putnam, Ct
“Superior dishes”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The guy in charge knows his food and gives diners excellent choices. Oysters a big thumb's up- food service not so great. The ones I've had didn't remember items requested or pay much attention to us. Ambiance a little lacking but the food is teriffic and trumps any other drawbacks.

Visited November 2012

Woodstock, Connecticut
“A Standard in Putnam”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

You can always expect a good meal, and a good time at 85 Main. You will also be assured to have friendly wait staff and to see people you know. Anytime we say, let's go out to dinner, it seems that we end up there!

Visited September 2012
Putnam, Connecticut
“Love this place!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

OK, so it's certainly convenient that 85 Main is just down the street from me, however, regardless of that, it's one of my favorite restaurants! The drinks are devine, bread (with oil and fresh cracked pepper) is just yummy, and the food! Well, I'm a picky eater and always find something I just love. My current favorites are the caesar salad with steak or one of the various steak dinners. My boyfriend is a vegetarian and frequently has a hard time finding restaurants that can cater to him (at least with more than just a plain salad or boring pasta). There are a few options for him here. He just loves the gnocchi and various ravioli dishes they have. Serving sizes are plentiful. Desserts are delicious (if you still have room!). I find the bar side of the restaurant a tad loud, but not unreasonable, seeing it's the bar side. The restaurant side has a delightful atmosphere - nicely decorated, comfortable, etc. In the nicer weather, there's a lovely patio area or sitting by the windows with the glass removed. There's also a sushi bar - I don't eat sushi so I can't comment personally, but I've been told many times that the sushi and raw bar is very good. I frequently have to wait a bit for the food to arrive, but the wait staff is quite attentive and will take good care of you. Definitely a must try restaurant! I highly recommend 85 Main!

• Visited November 2012
Tucson Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,115 helpful votes
“One year later, still the best Tiramisu we have ever tasted”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We make an annual trip to Putnam CT, and this year we were there for 12 days. In that time, we had lunch at 85 Main SIX times. Would have come even more, except that the other days, we visited with friends, who insisted on making lunch for us. (And had a most unfortunate lunch at JD Coopers.) I raved about this restaurant last year, and I am raving again. Their menu is extensive, but when we zero in on a dish we love, we can't get enough of it. This year, my husband had the Cornmeal-Dusted Fried Calamari ($12.00) six times, and I had the P.E.I Mussels ($11.00) six times. AND................if we had been able to, we would have come back for dinner and ordered the same dish. Absolutely delicious ! With that, we had a glass of house wine ($6.00) Fell in love with their Tiramisu ($8.50) last year, and so had no choice but to order that again (to share) for dessert. Also, had coffee, which was better than any Starbucks.
During our six visits, we had 4 different servers (we had one server twice), and we think that the service is exceptional. Very attentive quiet and professional. When I see others writing that the service was bad, I almost think they must be writing about another restaurant, as we have encountered nothing but the best service each time (in 2011 & 2012) we were there. Same goes for diners saying that the food is "pricey". The prices at 85 Main are less than we pay here in Tucson AZ at a comparable establishment.
We love to go out to lunch, and here at home, go out and try different places at least once a week. Have yet to find a restaurant that could be a substitute for 85 Main. Actually, maybe that's good, as we would be then going out to eat more often, and would have to cut back on the air-conditioning to finance all this eating out.

• Visited October 2012
9 Thank NYU62
CT
“Very good on a busy night”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Seven of us had dinner, with reservations, on a Saturday night. The menu has a wide range, from burgers to raw bar and sushi, to house-created thoughtful entrees. We had some of each on our table. Some menu items are offered in different portion sizes, which is a nice touch; and there are plenty of starters that could be a main dish for lighter eaters. There was a good range of prices, as well.

All the food was nicely done. Although the menu looked like some dishes have too many ingredients, the dishes were balanced and delectable. The wine list is more interesting than many around here, but still contains quite a bit of the expected ordinaries, though the wine prices were quite reasonable.

Service was a tiny bit sketchy at first, but we soon got and kept our server's attention. Altogether, fine service.

It was loud, but fun.