“Restaurant should be named Cafe Meh-sto”

Cafe Pesto - Kawaihae
Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Kawaihae
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Akoni Pule Hwy
Description: "The best of Hawaii's hidden treasures," claim food critics and locals alike. The menu features fresh local seafood, exotic pizzas, colorful eclectic salads and Asian inspired pastas and risottos. The harbor settings, rich in Hawai'ian history, provide a backdrop of authenticity and charm to the award-winning restaurant. Visit the stone temple Heiau of Kawaihae harbor to view the ancient shark deities on their sunset vigils.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We took out 5 different dishes (at a 10% surcharge for picking up food) after waiting 20 minutes for someone to take our order. Each dish was more "meh" than the next. Definitely wouldn't return here, even without the surcharge.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Cafe Pesto is a great little place that has a variety of good food (even pizza for the kids). It has a good variety on the menu.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

A nine-mile drive from Waikoloa on the Kawaihae Harbour. The kind lady at the Hilton Waikoloa concierge recommended it and we were glad we took the suggestion. The ambience was simple, but nice. The service was very friendly. The food was delicious all the way from appetisers to dessert. My favourite was the Apple Crisp with vanilla bean ice-cream for dessert. Make a reservation. We had a reservation and we showed up on time. We still ended up waiting for 20 minutes before we got our table. I later learnt through experience that this is pretty standard in Hawaii - I mean you book and still wait for a while.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Came here to get out of the mega-resort restaurants atmosphere and try something different.
You have to try the Shrimp “Half Moon” Nachos appetizer! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! I think it beat my main Chicken dish which was not as memorable. I do like that they use local ingredients in their dishes, but looks like they specialize more on custom personalized pizza. The service was ok.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This pizza is one of a kind! We shared two pizza's, bread and a bowl of french onion soup and everything was delicious!!! The beer was yummy as well! I will go back here every time I visit!!!