“Good pizza, casual atmosphere”
Review of Cafe Pesto

Cafe Pesto
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Pesto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Kawaihae
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Akoni Pule Hwy
Description: "The best of Hawaii's hidden treasures," claim food critics and locals alike. The menu features fresh local seafood, exotic pizzas, colorful eclectic salads and Asian inspired pastas and risottos. The harbor settings, rich in Hawai'ian history, provide a backdrop of authenticity and charm to the award-winning restaurant. Visit the stone temple Heiau of Kawaihae harbor to view the ancient shark deities on their sunset vigils.
Nelson, Canada
“Good pizza, casual atmosphere”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We were craving pizza and had heard good things, so we checked out Cafe Pesto on a friday night. It was busy, obviously a popular place, with a nice casual atmosphere. Tables were crowded a bit close together and food/ wine pricey for what it is, but all in all a good place for tasty italian food.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“really good food!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I've eaten here twice now - once for dinner and once for lunch. Both times, the food was great! I ordered a 1/2 portion of their dinner fish special and it was filling and affordable! They also served warm and fresh house-baked bread with the dinner. The drinks were creative and the wine list was good. The have a full bar and can make any cocktail you feel like.

For the lunch meal, I had the pesto linguini with marinara and apple-smoked chicken sausage. Mom had the Greek Calzone, which was huge, split in 1/2 and stuffed with lots of fresh bell peppers (tricolors), spinach and black olives. We took 1/2 of the linguini and the other 1/2 of the Calzone home for lunch the next day.

The service both days was excellent, casual, and not stuffy, but very friendly and nice. I really appreciated the 1/2 portions that were available for some dinner items as this helped with pricing for me. The staff even held our leftovers while we walked around the marina to look at the water and shoreline. The shoreline/marina, incidentally, also is a great view for a sunset, and if you get a table by the window, you can watch the sunset over dinner.

Fresh ingredients, good presentation and prompt and friendly service. Fine dining in a casual atmosphere, it's really a lovely place and a definite place to visit for dinner, esp if you rent and return norkel/dive gear from the Kohala Dive Shop next door by 6pm! I forgot to mention that I ate here in my denim skirt and t-shirt over my swimsuit the 1st time I came for dinner. I'm including pics of my meals and the external view of the place, as well as one of the sunset view from inside the restaurant windows.

Last but not least, prices were on par with or less than the other fine dining establishments in the Kohala coast, but I felt that the price was reasonable. Lunch for 2 without drinks or appetizers was $30 with tax, but before tip, for example.

Bellevue, WA
“Never Disappointing”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We've been coming to Cafe Pesto the past three years and our most recent visit was another winner. Regardless of the weather, I always try to daily soup since that's where the chef gets to shine with local ingredients and his daily passion. Two nights ago it was wild mushroom and rice soup. Outstanding! The salads, seafood and pizza are outstanding. It's not cheap, but it's definitely affordable compared with the other resort restaurants nearby. We leave with full, with leftovers and with smiles on our faces. Nice combo. Also can't go wrong with the locally crafted beer flite.

San Francisco
“went back twice”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

tasty food at a reasonable price in a relaxed atmosphere. the warm coconut tart for dessert is unbeatable!

Visited November 2012
“Great gourmet food on a budget!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our valet recommended this place. We were on a budget and wanted good food at a reasonable price. This place had just that. I am not a big seafood fan but my husband talked me into sharing a plate if their seafood risotto. It was truly amazing. I may now be a seafood fan!! I think the plate was 30 bucks or a little less and filled up the both of us! This is a place you would miss unless you were looking for it. Definitely check it out!