“Excellent food and great happy hour”

The Seafood Bar & Grill
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in Kawaihae
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We visited this gem a couple times during out stay on this side of the island. I had discovered this place from reading reviews...but if course. The first time we had cocktails only. They were awesome! The bartender Tim is great(he might be manager too?). My favorite cocktail was the lychee lemonade...yum! For a late dinner one evening we shared a salad, the fried calamari (which is a steak cut into strips) and the steamed clams which come in a coconut ginger broth with tomato and onion...everything was amazing! Just sitting at the bar looking at all their daily specials is mesmerizing and then there is the regular menu too! Happy hour prices are unbelievable...5$ for a Hawaiian cocktail in hawaii?? Yes indeed! We were there twice for reverse happy hour which starts at 9. Yeah yeah the view isn't magnificent so hopefully you'll get your fill of Hawaiian paradise early in the day and come here for the food and beverages.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Not the best location as you are facing the industrial harbour (but you can still enjoy Mona Kea in the background), recommended by locals so on our way back from Waimea, we decided to give it a try. Best meal we had in Hawaii so far in 5 different trips. The black bean seafood combo was outstanding, not a typical bar food, indeed very sophisticated. We also tried the coconut shrimp sandwich. It was interesting but good.
No doubt we will go back soon. And to complete a delicious meal, there is an ice cream parlor with local favors just below the restaurant.
So worth the stop!

1  Thank NATDELA
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I ordered the calamari expecting the usual long strips deep fried what I got was
Calamari steaks with a nice crisp batter. Was really good. I also ordered the Coconut
Shrimp! one can never have too many yum yum. Great waitress and good service.

1  Thank Polette G
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I get tired of Rattan furniture and old 60's and 70's retro Hawaii stuff at times, unless they fully embrace it. They do here. Fun spot in Kawaihae. Prices are right and they've got a steady happy hr. I popped in right at the end of happy hour. We ended up splitting a burger, having a few oyster shooters, and the Furikake Crusted Calamari steak with wasabi aioli. A couple of Longboard Lagers later and it added up to a fun night. Nice hang out and fun taste of old Hawaii. Simple stuff.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We just stopped for lunch. We thought it would be just another ordinary sandwich. The hubby got calamari appetizer and I got a coconut shrimp sandwich. Mmmmmm Fantastic. 5 shrimp on a sweet Hawaiian bun and some great sauce and I was sad when I was finished and had to rely on my great memories about how good it was. The calamari was steak cut in slices, not rings.

We will go back there as soon as we get back to the Big Island. Mmmmmm.