“Be sure to stop here!”

Kohala Burger and Taco
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Kawaihae
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Located just a short distance from the glorious white sand beaches of the Kohala Coast, Kohala Burger and Taco is an affordable and friendly spot with a feel good, nostalgic flair. We serve 100% local grass fed beef and fresh, sustainably caught fish in burgers and tasty tacos. Daily specials, Milk Shakes and kids meals, too! Stop in for an Authentic Dole Pineapple Whip! This tasty Soft Serve Treat was once only available at Disney Parks and at the Dole Plantation on Oahu. KBAT has got it!
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We came here after seeing the Trip Advisor reviews & were glad we did! Burgers were great & my husband enjoyed his fish burrito.

I had the watermelon whip...if I can give you any advice, get it with the whipped cream! It was deliciously refreshing!

Also be sure to check the hours... You won't want to miss it!

Cary P, Owner at Kohala Burger and Taco, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Aloha LK,
Thank you for making your post! We sure appreciate you giving us a try based on customer's suggestions :)

We also appreciate you posting a couple of tips, especially about checking hours: We do have seasonal hours due to the travel seasons associated with our island.

Current Hours can always be found at our home page www.kohalaburger.com

So happy to hear you enjoyed your Fresh Watermelon Whip "WITH THE WHIPPED CREAM" as it was intended and of course the Local Line Caught Fresh Fish Burrito.

We look forward to serving you again.....soon!!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

While staying at the Waikoloa Hilton Resort I took it upon myself to find the best burger on this side of the island. I noticed that Kohala Burger and Taco was being talked up a bit and since we were heading up to Hawi Town figured we stop by for lunch (it's right on the way).
The place small small small and being in Hawaii it was hot hot hot. They have quite a selection and for some reason I opted for their special that day and went with a cuban sandwich instead of the burger. I also ordered a taco because I wanted to see what taco in Hawaii tasted like. The cuban was OK - no complaints but I left wishing I'd gone for the burger; the taco was ... well... a good effort. It tasted more like chilli in a taco shell than a good taco. I'll go back next time I'm in the area, but it will be to try the burger. I'll pass on the tacos.

Cary P, Owner at Kohala Burger and Taco, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Mr MuGoo,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We sure appreciate the feedback. Sorry that you did not order the burger you were craving. We do appreciate you trying our "Cuban" sandwich special and we're glad you had "No Complaints" about that.

The Kohala Burger and Taco, Beef Taco, is a traditional (home-style) "Crispy" corn tortilla shell taco. We make the shells - hand cut the lettuce - hand make the pico de gallo salsa & we add our homemade taco sauce and shredded cheddar. We then use Grass Fed Big Island Beef (hormone & antibiotic free) and we make our taco beef....that is "yes" similar to "straight chili" it carries a bit of a sweet and spicy flavor. We are so sorry that you were "Not Impressed" with our tacos.

We look forward to seeing you again for the Island's Best burger you heard about.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I checked this place out on a whim. It's in a shopping plaza on Hwy 270. Their fish tacos are some of the best I've ever had. I had the "catch of the day" fish tacos and they were awesome. The prices are reasonable too.

Aloha WM,

Thanks for stopping in, we are so glad you found us and enjoyed your Fresh Fish Tacos. "Awesome" is what we like to hear.

For the we are located on the Akoni Pule Hwy at the Kawaihae Shopping Center just across from the Kawaihae Harbor and the Canoe Club, upstairs from Cafe Pesto.

We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Seems small and shack-like at first but the service and food are GREAT! I'm originally from iowa so I've been trying to find a burger out here that can compare, and this definitely was it! I had the paniolo burger (avocado bacon cheeseburger) which I recommend 110%!! The staff is really friendly! Make sure you get a shake!

Aloha KD5 -
Looks like you found our "Small Place...Big Island Taste" ! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our food and service. Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we appreciate your business and your online support.

We "whole heartily" agree... "Make sure you get a shake" Love that motto :)

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Found this place after reading reviews on trip advisor. We were not disappointment. It is hidden away a bit and only a small place but this didn't matter. You must order a shake. I had the pina colada shake and im still dreaming about it today. The food was very fresh and the best fries I've ever had.

Cary P, Owner at Kohala Burger and Taco, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2014

Aloha Timothy,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. "Best Fries Ever" we love to hear that!
Looks like someone else had the "Baja Tres Fish Tacos"....great picture. Shakes look pretty tasty too!

We hope you got lots of sun and aloha on your trip to the Big Island, we certainly look forward to seeing you again.