“Best desert I've ever had”

Blue Dragon Coastal Cuisine & Musiquarium
Ranked #7 of 11 Restaurants in Kawaihae
Cuisines: Seafood, Fusion
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 19
Description: Recently voted Best Dining Atmosphere, Family Entertainment, Bartender, Live Music and Night Spot by West Hawaii Today. Our fresh, festive food features global, coastal flavors and offers the freshest of ingredients, from locally caught fish to produce from our own organic farm. We proudly offer vegetarian, vegan, and/or gluten free options as well as locally raised meat and the freshest of seafood! Our young and talented chef team sincerely loves to create the most amazing dishes with the finest local and seasonal products available. We feature live music nightly (when we are open for dinner Thursdays through Sundays) and offer the best talent and a wide array of musical styles. If the music moves you, get up and dance right under the stars as our dining area has no roof!
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Chocolate Decadence - flowerless chocolate cake with homemade coffee ice cream. Absolutely dreamy. Best desert I've ever had.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

This place was neat. Fantastic atmosphere, fun live music. It's always fun to dine under the stars, and service was very attentive. Food was so-so, but I'd go back just for the experience.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I've been here several times in the last couple years. They have a band on weekends and you will be better off making a reservation. When you call for reservation, specify whether you want inside where the band is...or outside where you can hear the music but not see them. Great atmosphere, great service and it's a lot of fun.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I went to visit this cafe' after reading all the good reviews and it was a real disappointment!

The goat cheese salad was presented as a side salad... .in a small plate with barely a teaspoon of goat cheese and 2 cherry tomatoes.....for $10! Pretty pricey

The shrip cocktail had a ketchup salsa rather and the avocado was barely there.
Fish tacos were the real disappointment! Absolutely no taste....

Service was very slow and distracted but kind at least, the entertainment was ok but nothing too special

Our neighbours felt the same with their food, who knows maybe a bad nigth? We will never know as we will never go back

To top it all up, for the whole evening i felt i had something touching my back, i thought it was a mosquito ..... It was a MOUSE instead! We had a small mouse wondering around behind the pillows (who were behind our backs) the whole night!

The small bugger was cute but not cute enough to be running around a restaurant dor our taste!

The staff told us that they have a lot of them this year and 3 different kinds....again not quite what we want to hear in a restaurant!

BlueDragonManager, Manager at Blue Dragon Coastal Cuisine & Musiquarium, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your overall experience. I won't attempt to defend our food because you're entitled to your opinion. We are an open air restaurant, which is part of the attraction, but on rare occasions it means we have to deal with unwelcome visitors. I assure you that we have the best pest control service available on island and we do everything in our power to prevent instances like this from happening.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have been here several times over the last 4 years. My latest visit was in the second week of June, 2014, with my granddaughter and her fiancee. Once again, both the food and the music made for a wonderful evening. The service is very nice in this open-air facility (overhead is open, so heavy rain can cause closings), and the food is an imaginative mixture of traditional, local cuisine and new inventions. The drinks can be quite inventive. The prices are moderate on the South Kohala scale; and the menu gives one good options for vegan and more economical dishes if that is your preference. They are open for dinner only, Thursday through Sunday, with musical performances commencing at 6:00 pm. Check the website (http://www.bluedragonrestaurant.com/) for who is performing when you want to visit. On this occsasion the performer was John Keawe, a wonderful Hawaiian slack-key guitarist, playing mostly his own compositions. His wife Hope both performed as a dancer and led guests in dance programs during the performance.

I will always include the Blue Dragon in my plans for any trip here. It’s a unique and delightful Kohala experience and an especially great place to spend a special occasion if you are in the Kona or Kohala areas of the Big Island.

We were staying here at the time of 2014’s King Kamehameha Day (celebrating his birth) on the Big Island. We went to the celebration at Hawai, on the nortnermost coast of Hawaii, on June 11, 2014, and were delighted to see John and Hope Keawe among the perfomers at the festivities there (John was born in Hawi). We got to talk with other Kohala locals during that day, and their friendliness and openness gave us a great feeling of sharing their community during what was a very special occasion.