“Not great food, but...”

Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 19
Description: Recently voted Best Dining Atmosphere, Family Entertainment, Bartender, Live Music and Night Spot by West Hawaii Today. Our fresh, festive food features global, coastal flavors and offers the freshest of ingredients, from locally caught fish to produce from our own organic farm. We proudly offer vegetarian, vegan, and/or gluten free options as well as locally raised meat and the freshest of seafood! Our young and talented chef team sincerely loves to create the most amazing dishes with the finest local and seasonal products available. We feature live music nightly (when we are open for dinner Thursdays through Sundays) and offer the best talent and a wide array of musical styles. If the music moves you, get up and dance right under the stars as our dining area has no roof!
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I went to the Blue Dragon with my family for dinner. We chose to go here based on a recommendation from a family friend, who happens to be a chef, so we figured she knew what she was talking about. I sort of wish we hadn't listened to her.

I ordered the hamburger and fries, which the Blue Dragon proudly boasted that the beef was locally raised and the bun was made fresh in the kitchens. I know it was dark out (there's no roof), but I could definitely tell that the patty was burnt, almost all the way through. And not just mine - two other people ordered it from my group of 8, and theirs were burnt too. The fries were all right. Another person from my group ordered a seafood plate that had shrimp and scallops, about $30. The problem? The scallops weren't cooked through.

I suppose that my only complaint is about the food. The service was good, as well as the entertainment. The fresh strawberry lemonade was delicious; I recommend you try it should you go here.

There are newer reviews for Blue Dragon Coastal Cuisine & Musiquarium

Reviewed August 18, 2011

We were attracted by a banner hanging over the entrance to this unique establishment noting that the Blue Dragon had been voted "The Best of...." in just about every category imaginable -- food, music, ambiance, service, etc. etc. The music was delightful, the food delicious and the setting very unique and very pleasant. So, who needs a roof on a restaurant? Four walls do just fine.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

Ahi Won Ton was amazing. I had the Sake stir fry and my husband ordered the South American Surf. Both were very delectable. Portions were just right. Well, you only get 3 Ahi Won Tons but they are so worth it! The live music was a plus and it wasn't so loud that you had to yell out your conversation. We sat in the "front" row and we were able to have a normal conversation even with the music playing.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

My husband and I went to Blue Dragon for dinner while visiting my family in Kailua-Kona. It was about a 35 minute, reasonably pleasant drive. The only downside is you need a designated driver so someone may miss out on some fun cocktails.

The food was great. We had the fresh-baked baguette with saffron and garlic butter, the mushroom polenta (amazing!), the kona coffee crusted ribeye and the filet with Opa (fish of the day). For dessert my husband had the banana split (GREAT coconut ice cream) and I had the flourless chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. For drinks we had a green dragon, the pear cocktail, and a blue dragon. Green dragon was our definite favorite -- kind of like a mojito. No disappointments on any of the food, it was all delicious and the portions very generous.

The atmosphere is very nice. We were on the main floor. The music was nice but a bit loud, in retrospect we probably should have moved tables. Also, one of the seat had its back to the band which was kind of awkward.

The service was good, the only issue was a major delay in or entrees arriving. Our server kept up posted on the status and said there was some kind of computer issue. She comped us dessert which was more that enough to make us happy.

Ladies room was clean and I appreciated the fact that there was a changing table even though I didn't bring our kids with us. Speaking of kids, there were quite a few families there with kids which surprised me a little. It appeared they did cool kids meals and all the kids there that night were well behaved but it's probably not the kind of restaurant I would take the family. It's more of a date-night, romantic or girls-night-out location in my opinion.

All in all, a great meal and I will definitely return next time I'm on the Big Island.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

Great place to have fun! Food is good, organic available