“Fantastic first-time experience!”

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Fantastic first-time experience!”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We had never been scuba diving before and we’re sure what to expect. The crew soon put us at ease – as best they could with two 50-something “newbies”! We started with an introduction in a swimming pool, which we really appreciated as a good way to introduce us to the equipment and safety instructions. Warren was patient with us as we became acclimated to diving. Once on the boat, we appreciated Stephen’s briefing that was helpful and that indicated the company’s concern for the environment. Kelly and Alice gave us helpful introductions to the dive locations.The crew pointed out whales as we made our way to Puako. In the water, Warren was again patient, even holding my hand until I was confident enough to let go. As beginners, my husband I were under the Warren’s watchful eye to ensure that we were safe and having a good time. The more experienced divers had their guides and dove to deeper locations than we did. Plenty of snacks and drinks were provided. The crew helped to make it a memorable and thrilling experience. Who knows? We might do it again….

Visited March 2013

New York City, New York
“Amazing fishes!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I loved every minute diving with these guys. I was a brand new certified diver and they were amazing. They were very supportive of my nervousness and super safe as well as having an encyclopedic knowledge of the dive sites, the conditions, AND THE FISH.

We went out twice with Scott (also thanks to Robin and Alice) and boy did he know everything about the cool special Fancy Fish (seen on one dive, pod of spinner dolphins, shark, scorpionfish and a cruising MANTA RAY), and the often overlooked but not unimportant random tiny fish or boring fish or ugly fish or ugly (but not to me) invertebrate. No, he knew their names too, and he liked them too! Also, maybe most importantly to the non-fish-obsessed public, he know which species of unusual local fish could be spotted where with disturbing accuracy. (Scott, do you live underwater at the reef? I think you might.) Thanks so much!

If some day I make it back to the big island from NYC I will go here again!!!! You all should go here too.

(Also, in terms of customer service, these dudes were awesome. We got in a very petite, but taking 3 hrs to deal with fender bender on the way to diving one day and they transferred us to a different day with no problem. Thanks yall!)

Visited April 2013
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Totally Professional”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

we have been diving for over 40 years all over the world and found the dive operation run by Kohala Divers to be be top notch. very pleasant and friendly staff who were all very profesional. Their boat is berthed across the street from the dive shop and from the moment we checked in until we left the boat every aspect was handled as well as it could have been. The crew handled most of the gear and was very helpful. They changed the gear in record time between dives and removed all the gear to the dock post dive. They had plenty of places to rinse gear after the dive. The staff clearly enjoyed their jobs and made diving with them a pleasure. The dive briefings were we sufficient and they allowed us to dive for as long as our air consumption allowed.

Visited April 2013
Ottawa, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great for Divers, but fabulous for experienced snorkelers too!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Twice this trip, we went out snorkeling with Kohala Divers. We were 8 & 10 on the boat: a nice mix of divers, a couple snorkelers (us) and one photographer (for the whales, the first trip) and one ride-along (the second trip) - along with Captain Bob and Robin, the DM (first trip) and Captain Stephen, DMs Alice and Robin (second trip).

We headed out to the Puako reef and snorkeled two sites each time: one a turtle cleaning station with lots of activity, and the others had large coral fingers, with arches. I saw an octopus each trip, eels (zebra, white-mouth and one of the large-spotted snake morays), lots of turtles and a very nice variety of fish (including a white tang and a yellow chub). The topography was quite interesting as well.

The snorkeling equipment was provided, though we didn't need it as we had our own. We did appreciate borrowing a shortie (DH) and a jacket (me) to add to our skins, as it was a bit chilly in the Feb. open water.

It was a super way to get 2-3 hours in the water, with an amazing whale watching experience thrown in. We stopped on the way out and back in, to watch the whales and listen to them with a hydrophone. They were very close in and we saw breaches, tail flaps, and calves just having fun!

As experienced snorkelers, we were very pleased with the overall approach. We were included in the divers' briefing for each site, so we were alerted to the marine life each site was best for. As snorkelers, we felt as valued as clients as the divers were, by both the captain and the DMs, though we are on our own once in the water (which, for us, is a great plus!)

It was obvious that the sites chosen (and the route out) had been determined in a way to please everyone on the boat. The feedback from the divers was that they were just as pleased as we were. The divers got a big plus that we couldn't see: the garden eels colony and a manta fly-by. I'd go out snorkeling with them again in a flash and really wish that I could have dived with them as well. Highly recommended for experienced snorkelers!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Free-to-wander
oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Whale watching”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

A wonderful whale watching trip!! The boat and crew were top notch and it was a lot of fun. We took a 4:00 pm tour and it was only $60.00, which I think might be the best price on the island.

Visited March 2013