“Great dive op” 5 of 5 bubbles

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great dive op”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I did two days of diving with Kohala Divers. All our dives were AM dives and we had a great time. Stephen were our captain for both days. Shannon and Scott were our DMs for first and second day respectively. Dive briefings were detail with plenty of information. On our first dive, my wife's reg leaked water even though we just had it serviced at local dive shop before we left. Stephen fixed my wife's reg during surface interval and the problem went away. Big thank to captain Stephen.

We were able to leave our gear at the shop so we didn't have to lug everything back the next day which were a big plus. They put a tag with our names in our BCDs which showed the attention to detail. When we came back the next day, everything was setup and ready to dive. I highly recommend Kohala Divers if you want to leave busy Kona and dive the Kohala coast.

Visited November 2012

PA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Good Overall Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

We booked a 3 day package with Kohala divers a couple of months in advance of our trip. Overall, our experience was good but not great for a couple of reasons I will explain in this review.

First, let me say that the crew on the boat was fantastic. Scott was fun, Shannon had a great personality, and Robin might be one of the best divemasters I have ever met.

The first minor issue we had was diving the same Puako sites two days in a row. I understand that ocean conditions play a role ... but I also feel that every effort should be made to take repeat guests to different sites. It is likely that we did different dive sites at Puako, but they were so close and looked/felt the same and were generally uneventful ... there were 20 minute pockets where we would see nothing. Cant blame the company for the ocean's cooperation but at times it felt like the snorkeling at my hotel was comparable.

On our third day of diving, as part of our original 3 day package reservation from a couple of months prior, we showed up at 7:30am only to be told that we werent on the charter. This was a bit dumbfounding as I had a confirmation email from them even showing the date ... it seems there had been some confusion on our first dive day when we attempted to add a night dive as a 4th dive day. We believe that instead of adding a 4th day, they just moved our 3rd day back. Mistakes happen, but it was a bit surprising to see they had very recently added a bunch of snorkelers to the trip only the day before after somehow we werent on the charter. Kohala Divers is in the business of booking business, so I didnt think they intentionally cut us out for the snorkelers, but it was hugely disappointing to lose a day ir pre-arranged diving as it was too late to then drive all the way into Kona to dive with a different company. They did make a nice gesture by giving us 2 free tanks of air to do a shore dive alone, but I honestly feel that they should have allowed 8 divers on this day to account for the confusion (I know this goes againts their 6 divers per group policy but given the easy dives at Puako and mistake, I think the other divers would have been fine with it). It did not help to see on Facebook the next day that they saw whales on this dive trip that we somehow lost our reservation on...

All in all, the employees are what make this company. I would go with Kohala again, but would just confirm and re-confirmy reservations.

1 Thank kmludwig76
Midland, Michigan
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A Good Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I did a 2 tank AM dive with Kohala Divers while visiting the island in November and had a good time. The crew was friendly and professional. Capt. Stephen provided us a safe trip to and from the dive sites. Greg was our DM who provided a detailed dive plan about the sites we would be diving and pointed out many of the different critters that we might have missed. I would definitely recommend them to all levels of divers. They will let you dive your computer profile without any worries about having to come up early due to another diver sucking up their air quickly.

Visited November 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Great operation - super helpful and professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Did our Advanced Open Water course with these guys after a recommendation from someone on the Trip Advisor Forum.
They were really helpful over email before we arrived in Hawaii getting everything booked in, and answering our millions of questions. We wanted to do the Manta Night Dive down in Kona as part of the course and they organised this for us with a dive company down there (see my review of Big Island Divers too) without any hassle.
Robin was our instructor and she was really professional, fun and helpful, and super nice with it. The shop staff were equally helpful.
The boat was never crowded and we felt like we were on a private charter, the boat captains were great too.
Can't recommend these guys enough, thanks for a great time!!

Visited September 2012
Old Saybrook, CT
182 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 181 helpful votes
“Don't miss this shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

As a retired Master Scuba Instructor and former 5-star dive shop owner, I'm very critical when it comes to dive operations. I know what it takes to run a boat and a store. Kohala Divers has it down and does it right. They drove down and picked me up at the Fairmont Orchid, allowing my wife to have our rental car for the day. After setting me up with gear (it was too far and too expensive to bring my own on the plane these days) we headed over to the boat. All of their Divemasters are also Instructors. They run a relaxed yet safety conscious boat. Our Divemaster not only knew the dive sites, she knew a number of the reef inhabitants and their hangouts, so we got to see some very rare species. From white tip sharks to whitemouthed moray eels and nudibranchs, we had a great time. We also saw an albino tang but I've been sworn to secrecy as to it's location. We don't want to have it windup in someone's home aquarium. I can't say enough about how well run this operation is.

Visited May 2012