“A colourful relaxed and simply unique place to stay”

Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center
Ranked #3 of 6 Honaunau B&B and Inns
Vienna, Austria
“A colourful relaxed and simply unique place to stay”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Staying at the Dragonfly Ranch was a lovely experience at a wonderful, quiet and relaxed place. The rooms are decorated with love and phantasy, each with its very unique atmosphere. There was a lovely warm-hearted team that takes care of the guests, giving any possible kind of support with love and good humour. Breakfast had been a wide choice of organic food including homemade bread and sometimes cake. Best snorkelspots are reachible in 5 to 15 minutes by car, other places of interest, beaches and good restaurants in about 30 minutes. There is a yogaplace on top of the property where we had a phantastic view at the very famous hawaiian sunsets. We loved our time there and will come back for sure! People who are a bit nervous with nature and its creatures may have a wonderful opportunity to overcome that fear (Barbara the owner will be happy to give support with for some example flower remedies) or better look for a nature-safe place ;-))

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Maria L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Merrickville
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband chose this place on-line because it had been recommended as a good place for bird-watchers. We have been staying at B&B's for 26 years and I have to say that this was the first time I ever had a negative experience.There are treacherous, uneven stone stairs which get narrower as you go up, and no hand rail. Also there was no light on these stairs at night. The room we stayed in was shabby, with no sense of decor. When I pulled back the comforter to get into bed, there was a brown stain on the underside of the comforter. The toilet was in a closet which made an airplane toilet feel roomy.The king-size bed, however, was very comfortable, as were the pillows. There was an older-style jet-tub in the large square room, which had curtains to pull around it. All night we were serenaded by frogs and insects, which was very pleasant. On our second night, however, my husband did have to silence the wind chimes. There was no TV in the room. Breakfast was fresh fruit of many local varieties, and cereal/oatmeal. When I asked for some sugar for my cereal, our hostess, Barb, seemed unable/unwilling to find any and said, "Aren't raisins enough?" So much for the spirit of hospitality.The coffee was local and delicious. We were given directions to the best spot for snorkelling (very nice) and were able to borrow equipment, which was appreciated. This was the most expensive of the three B&B's we stayed in on Hawaii, and was not up to standard. We did not get what we paid for.

Room Tip: We didn't see any other rooms, so can't advise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary-Lou H
Kauai, Hawaii
Reviewed July 13, 2013

What a comfortable, relaxing place, just up the road from the sacred site of Honaunau. A perfect place for a healing retreat.

Just an advisory-- the Dolphin room is separated from the main living area by just a paper thin wall, and all sounds and even quiet talking resonate right through. The other rooms are quieter. They have a 9pm quiet policy for this reason-- but if you think you would want quiet during the day, choose a different room.

Also, there is a pond right next door, and mosquitoes are aggressive here-- and with the bathrooms outside, it can be annoying. Natural bug repellent is provided, as well as mosquito coils, if you ask.

Room Tip: Avoid the dolphin room if you want to be somewhere relatively quiet during the day.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 20, 2013

If you are looking for a more unconventional, down-to-earth place to stay on the big island, here it is! The Dragonfly Ranch is such a perfect place to relax (I laid down to rest for a few minutes before the sun even went down, and slept through most of the night! Oops...). We stayed in the Dragonfly Room, which was attached to the main house but still felt very private.

Are there bugs? Yes. Will they kill you? No. We found one (1) bug in our room, who quickly scurried away and we never saw again. I also shared the outdoor shower with a totally harmless spider. (But as far as I am concerned, that is the price you pay if you want to spend the night in a tree house. I was in their territory, and they were being quite hospitable...)

The owner Barbara is super nice and breakfast was healthy and delicious. I really appreciate all the thought that seems to have gone into making the common areas so warm and inviting.

I seriously considered rearranging our travel plans so we could spend more time here, but it turns out, I was just too organized and planned everything out too well, so changing plans would have turned out to be quite expensive. I would love to return some day and spend several nights at the Dragonfly Ranch!

Room Tip: I believe that we were in the room closest to the highway (Dragonfly Room). It wasn't a deal bre...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hugallama
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the wonderful Honeymoon Suite at Dragonfly Ranch last Jan 2013, it was a wonderful experience to wake up with the song of the birds and an amazing view of the pacific ocean. We met and spent a bit of time with the visionary / owner Barbara Moore who was so warm and friendly, she allowed us to run a free workshop with very little notice while we stayed for all the guests.

Robin was also a fab host informing us on where the best snorkeling is, which was only a 5 min drive at "two step." There was always someone around to lend a hand or guide us in the right direction. We loved this experience so much we come back again in April and everything was just as before, great organic gluten free breakfast, friendly hosts, amazing gardens, magical chimes in the air and a smile on everyones face. Places like Dragonfly Ranch are very rare, I wish I could bottle the magical feel within my own space. Without a doubt this place will be forever in our heart.

Room Tip: Walk the Labyrinth, pick some greens from the garden, read a book in the hammock, snorkel and have a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Dragonfly for 10 days 9 nights. In a world where technology overshadows the beauty of nature and the satisfaction of genuine human connections, this ranch is a respite, a chance to commune with nature and island culture. While we were there we met traveling artists, musicians, archeologists, boat captains, lava walkers, a magician and fellow adventurers from all over. The relaxed, "hang loose" atmosphere fostered a chance to share life stories, and interact with guests in a way that would never have happened in another setting.

You get a healthy breakfast every morning with a bold cup of Kona Coffee. If you're fortunate to stay long enough to enjoy dinner with the hosts, you will not be disappointed. The staff at the Dragonfly make this a special event. On our dinner we had fresh salad from their organic garden, delightful pan seared chicken or fish prepared with local ginger and citrus, and a hearty grain pilaf. Dessert was the most astonishing, vegan, chocolate-lovers delight. This mousse was prepared with raw cocoa and avocados, and island staple.

If you go, expect your accommodations to be indoors & outdoors. What does that mean? The flowers and plants on the Kona side of Hawaii are breathtaking. The island breeze blows through the screens to your room, and you smell the ocean. You are in the jungle. There are bugs. And singing frogs! Which my wife loved to hear as she fell asleep each night.

If you're a planet conscious person you have reached a retreat with likeminded individuals. The food is sourced locally and is always fresh. Many of the staff are vegetarian or vegan, so if this appeals to you, you can expect to never go hungry. However, the retreat accommodates omnivores comfortably as well.

We were within minutes to a great New York style pizza joint in Captain Cook. We were also within minutes of some of the best snorkeling, dolphin viewing, and black sand beaches that grace the big island.

Room Tip: The dragonfly has rooms within most budgets. Call them directly for the best rates to avoid mark up...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FranklinDeWar
Hilo, Hawaii
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have to make my self clear I stay in all kinds of places around the islands and around the world. I have never seen a place that charged 250 per night have roaches the size of quarters and golf balls crawling on the bed you re suppose to sleep in while you are sitting on it SERIOUSLY. These People should be ashamed to take anyone's money to stay there unless they send pictures of the size of the bugs you share the bed with to you first. Thank God I sat up working with the lights on and saw what was happening around me when I looked up from my computer, they were every where including the bed all sizes from quarters to golf ball running on the counters the floors and curtains as well I am now sleeping in my car can't afford to pay to stay any where else, after giving250 for the roach hotel now understand that this was after we got bitten a lot because they have not repaired rips in the screens around the bed. Then we kept seeing ants all o er again including the bed. The little green lizard was cool but also to be found where you guessed it in the bed . Now this was in what they call the honey moon suite, you can tell this used to be a neat and awesome place to stay but now they have let it go to the bugs literally

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 1ladybutterfly
DragonflyRanchLady, Owner at Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
At the Dragonfly, we do everything we can to avoid having guests who are unhappy with their experience. We discourage bug phobic people to stay here. At the same time, we want to use all natural means to not have bugs bug people. After this couple left, we found that, due to the shifting earth, the screen behind the bed opened up a crack. It has now of course been repaired.

When I inquired about this couple’s night, only one half of the couple was willing to speak to me—the gentleman who said he loved his peaceful night alone in the Honeymoon Suite but that his girlfriend slept in the car. I wanted to do what I could to make amends for her uncomfortable night but, while he was packing up to leave and letting me know of his relaxing night alone in the suite, she would not talk to me as she was angrily waiting in the car, yelling at him that she was ready to go and did not like having to wait for him. He took this experience good-naturedly and told me they were headed to Hilo where he knew there were…more bugs.

If I could, I would have asked our guest if she read our literature called “A Marriott We Are Not” where I say “It’s a jungle out there” and in the jungle, there are bugs. Since she was busy working late at night on her laptop with the lights on, with the break in the screen, jungle critters were unfortunately attracted to the light, where she was working.

Had I an opportunity to offer this unhappy lady a refund, I would have done so. At the Dragonfly, we normally have only happy people stay. It is our policy to never have a guest leave feeling they did not get their money’s worth. In this case, only one half felt it was worth the money. Sadly, I think that may have been another thing that unfortunately “bugged” our unhappy guest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honaunau
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

Been to Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center? Share your experiences!