“Dragon Fly Ranch is an exquisite experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center

Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center
Ranked #3 of 6 Honaunau B&B and Inns
Kincardine, Canada
“Dragon Fly Ranch is an exquisite experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

I thought I was just getting a room but at Dragon Fly, I became part of the family. Barbara treated us like queens. The organic gourmet food is exquisite. The staff are very friendly and loving. They met all of my requests far above my expectation.
Everything about dragon fly spells OPEN, GENEROSITY and SOUL FAMILY!!!!
Colette Ryder
Kincardine Ontario Canada

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank colette r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

My wife and I spent the first night of our honeymoon at the Dragonfly Ranch. While staying here is not for everyone, we had a lovely time. First, the staff is so genuine, caring and generous. They truly care about their guests and do everything they can to provide warm hospitality. The views are amazing, and snorkel gear is available to take to a nearby lagoon. While the accommodations are rustic (screens instead of window panes, etc.), the rooms are set up beautifully. If you are looking for an adventure, and for an upscale camping experience in mountains of Hawaii, this is a great place.

It is important to note that this is not a traditional hotel. However, I would strongly recommend spending at least one night here to see a different side of Hawaii.

Room Tip: For someone who is on the fence about staying here, I would recommend the Lomi Lomi Suite.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

I don't want to be mean, but I felt obligated to tell of my experience so others don't get in the same unfortunate situation. I made the reservation to stay for a few days hoping for a clean, healthy, ecofriendly visit. When we got to the retreat, we noticed cats and dogs inside and out. Also the place appeared in disrepair and poor upkeep; especially the withered flowers and greenery (not at all like in the pictures). I like animals, just not in my living space, plus my sister has a cat allergy. We couldn't stay because of the cats and had a very difficult and upsetting time finding another hotel that late in the day. When I told Barbara, she got mad and said, I knew you were not right for this place. I could never reccommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank nancy m
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

After a week of corporate sterility at a well known timeshare, we came to this welcoming, friendly, a little bit earthy bed and breakfast. Here, my kids learned where their food comes from. They picked papayas, kale, beets, bananas, and even cut down some sugar cane. Then we all got to eat what they picked for dinner that night. While we were there we learned all the different ways to eat a coconut. It was a wonderful place and we felt like this was a home away from home. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Really look at their website to see if you can be dragon flyer. The give a pretty accurate idea of...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Robin F
Venezia, Italia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

i've been there in november 2011, the place is in a really wonderfull spot, quite and with a beautiful view. The place is particular, pleasant atmosphere. "Rooms" are strange and enjoyable, but in my opinion the price is a little beat over rated compared to the service.
I suggest this place if you like to stay in contact with nature!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Andreasupertamp
Pahoa, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

We stayed two nights at the Dragonfly Ranch. It was a wonderful experience. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in and the linens....fantastic. Our room was very comfortable with a wonderful view. It had all the ammenities we needed and the company (staff) were awesome. We will definetly return to enjoy this B & B again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

I had the best time staying at the Dragonfly a few weeks ago. My stay was just a week, but I felt I got a chance to connect with the best of the south Kona area- dolphins, the beautiful land the dragonfly is on- with a delicious organic garden I got to eat out of when the staff cooked me a dinner by donation. They even had a gluten-free meal, which can be so hard to find...

The staff was friendly and helpful and it seemed that if I wanted to I could be part of the "ohana" family, so to speak. The owner offered me healing essences from flowers after I talked about some of the emotions I was experiencing traveling through the islands, which I thought was a very kind gesture.. and I felt like made a difference in my experience that week. I'd love to go back and stay longer- it seems there is a decent range of room prices and a big variety between the amount of space and atmosphere each offers, although I think they are all fairly open to nature with some screened doors and/or walls.

I felt there was enough privacy, because it was such a laid-back place. People used to lots of thick doors and walls might be put off by worrying sound might travel but it seemed most of the rooms were separate enough that it wouldn't be a problem anyway.

I thought everyone was super sweet and had a lot of interesting information on health and nutrition. The sauna and massage tables were great!

I really appreciated that internet was available, too, as that can be hard to get in the islands. At first I was concerned the animals might be a problem (there are a couple of small dogs and cats around the grounds) as I'm a little allergic, but it was never a problem and they were very nice little creatures- I've never had a cat come up, lay on my stomach and purr before!

Well that's how I felt at the Dragonfly, like a purring cat- it's definitely the "swiss-family-robinson" style that appeals to me, so it's not for everyone. There's also a bit of a personal connection that's available with the owner and staff, which doesn't seem forced or obligatory at all... some other guests seemed they wanted to come and be left alone, which they were, and others wanted to spend time in the common areas and have conversation, so I thought there was a nice mix of that.

I'm so glad I found the Dragonlfy and look forward to returning in the future!

Room Tip: The writer's suite is amazing.... but most of the rooms seem great!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank CJ R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honaunau
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,125 reviews
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center? Share your experiences!