“Do not pass this place up!!!”
Review of Kalama's - CLOSED

Kalama's
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Don't pass this up thinking its just a shaved ice place. Order at the window and eat wherever you find a seat! Order the Amazing Eric Mahi Burger with jalapeños! It was like a dream! Add a side of Teri cheese fries and complete the gloriousness! I'm so sad I leave tomorrow otherwise is eat here again and again!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great lunch and great shave ice! Mahi mahi burgers fresh and tasty. The shave ice is like eating a cloud. The servic isn't fast, because they are in the bck making it and it is a tiny staff, but a great stop on the way back from city of refuge or captain cook cove.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I visited Kalama's several times during my stay in Captain Cook last summer. The Eric Mahi "burger" alone would make it worth the trip back (and I'm writing this from Pennsylvania). This was my first experience with shave ice, and it was heavenly -- plus, it was so beautiful, I had to photograph it for my friends back home. I didn't even mind when the man in front of me ordered a lime and coconut shave ice, and I had that silly song stuck in my song for the next few days. Kalama's was definitely a highlight of my first Hawaiian vacation.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stopped for lunch one afternoon-hubby had the mahi mahi burger and he raved about it. I had the Teriyaki chicken burger and it was delicious. The fries were great and the shave ice was one of the best we have had on two islands-like fresh Canadian snow! Staff was friendly, and we enjoyed sitting outside in the shade, but there wasn't much of view. Only con was the restrooms were out of service-not convenient when travelling and dining with kids.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We have been coming to the Big Island for the last 20 years. My husband LOVES Shave Ice. I usually eat a little of his. Shave ice is sort of like a sno-cone but the ice crystals when shaved are so much finer...or at least they are supposed to be. Usually you pick 3 flavors, maybe put a scoop of ice cream or a little cream or coconut milk too.
Kalama's shave ice was the best we have ever had. We had pineapple, gauva and li hing mui(a flavor my island friends are crazy for that I actually like on shave ice, not so crazy about on seeds that you suck the powder off of.) If you are on your way down to Kealakekua Bay(Captain Cook Monument) Kalama's is on your right. It is worth a stop for shave ice. Order at the outside window. There are picnic tables there. I have always just driven by even with my friends telling me this was a good place to stop. It does not "look like much" as you drive by. Stop. Have a shave ice. I am glad we did and will again!