“Great Tour”

Bay View Farm
Ranked #5 of 10 things to do in Honaunau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bay View Kona Coffee- 100% Estate Grown Kona Coffee "We grow, harvest, process & roast our harvest right on the farm, guaranteeing each bag of coffee is the freshest you can buy" Bay View Farms overlooks the beautiful Keei Beach & Kealakekua Bay and offers free 100% Kona Coffee samples from the farm and free tours of its coffee operations. When visiting Kona we invite you to come and visit us here at Bay View Farms where you can experience our finest quality Kona coffee. Come & Enjoy the “Kona Coffee Magic” of Bay View Farms! Bay View Farm has been producing & processing the highest quality Kona Coffee since 1984. It was established & started by Andy & Roslyn “Roz” Roy. They acquired the 25 acre farm and since 1984 have grown Kona Coffee & other local produce, such as papayas and mangos on the property. Besides processing their own Kona Coffee, Bay View Farms became a well known processor in the Kona Coffee industry for other local farmers in the area, to which they used to purchase coffee cherries from other farms (est. of 150+ farmers), giving fair prices for their high quality beans. They did everything on the farm property from growing, harvesting, processing (wet & dry milling), roasting and packaging. Bay View Farms and its business played a key role in the Kona Coffee industry and within the community. In 1994, Roz opened the Bay View Farm coffee tasting room in the unique shaped gazebo that they had developed on their farm, that sits just along the Painted Church Road. This is where it all started for them to sell their Kona coffee & share it with visitors from all around the world and to the local community. It became one of the island's favorite coffee stop to many visitors that traveled within the Honaunau area of making their way to the historical landmarks such as The Painted Church, Pu'uhonua 'O Honaunau (Place of Refuge) and the Kealakekua Bay to which it's the home of Captain Cook's Monument. Roz operated the coffee tasting farm store and offered a farm tour to educate visitors of the Bay View Farms coffee process and operations from seed to cup. She did this and took pride in her family farm & the 100% Estate Grown Coffee that they had produced until she passed away in 2012. Since her passing, the family decided to leave and get out of the coffee business after being in it for almost 28 years so the farm has & was dormant for about 4-5 years until the property was sold to the new owners in 2016. As of today, 2017, the new owners Kona Torrent, LLC acquired the farm property and is bringing it back to life. In honor of the Roy family, the new owners decided to keep the Bay View Farm name. They are continuing the coffee farm in producing 100% Estate Grown Kona Coffee & have re-opened the coffee tasting farm store of trying to carry on the traditions that the Roy family have established.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Portland, Oregon
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Tour”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had a great experience here. We were able to have an up close and personal tour of the farming and roasting operations. I would suggest calling ahead, but we dropped in.

Visited October 2012

Minneapolis, Minnesota
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“No tours offered, despite being advertised”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and I wanted to tour the coffee farm and when we walked in to the gazebo, no one greeted us and there was no sign or information to indicate that tours were provided. We asked where the farm was and the woman working pointed to a 3 ft square garden and said, "there". She told us to "get your mats and sit under a tree and enjoy the view". What...? I came here to see a coffee farm, lady. Not chill under your tree. We were very disappointed, but fortunately found Greenwell Coffee Farm, which provides an excellent tour.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank allewis
San Jose, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Call before you go”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I drove half an hour from Kona to this place. Our Garmin GPS and stop short, in front of another coffee farm (with a sign saying that) but when we drove in, all I saw was private houses. I have to ask for direction, and a lady told me it's next door.

We we got to Bay View, the lady in the Gazebo told us they don't have plantation here, and the mill wasn't running. So there is only coffee sample to taste, and coffee beans and other stuff to buy.

Incredibly we saw a German tour guide talking to a small group of people. I wonder if he is the same guide mentioned in another post from 2005 about Bay View.

So, before you go, make sure they have tour that day if that's what you are looking for. I don't really care much about the coffee since I can't tell one from the other. I am a drinking that always add sugar and lot's of cream. So I really can't appreciate different kinds of coffee taste.

Visited December 2011
Farmington, Connecticut
378 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 604 helpful votes
“tours advertised but not offerred”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

Glad we did not go out of our way for this, as it was all of a 5 minute stop. No one else was there; they offered us some samples and we were on our way. Small selection, mostly selling soaps and other stuff. Sign said tours but no offer was made.

Visited May 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 804 helpful votes
“Bay View Farm ( Kona Coffee Plantation)”
Reviewed January 20, 2009

We stoppped in at Bay View Farm during our January 2008 trip to the Island of Hawaii.

For me, it was a visit to "the source." I am a multi-year mail-order customer because I have tried a number of100% Kona coffees over the years and for me, their beans and roasting are consistently the best. Kona coffee, like Burgundy wine, has "terroir." That is, even within the Kona district, different areas ahve different microclimates and elevations and the beans have distinctinve flavors. Roasting also matters: many people are used to dark-roast coffee, but for me, medium-roast best enhances the delicate flavors of the Kona beans. Bay View offers both medium and dark roast.

The Bay View coffee gazebo, next to the roastery, smelled heavenly. The friendy proprietor offered generous tastes of their Extra Fancy in medium and dark roasts, as well as the French roast and Vanilla flavored coffee. The roastery had just finished for the day and I was able to get 5 pounds of medium roast peaberry, roasted that day. My husband, not a coffee drinker, enjoyed a sample of the chocolate covered beans and the mac nuts and purchased some of the chocolate covered mac nuts for himself.

Bay View has a fantastic view of Kealakekua Bay--you can sit on the shady gazebo porch and look over 1000 feet down to the bay and ocean. The drive there is incredibly scenic, along a narrow but well paved road (Painted Church Road) through lush vegetation and past people's homes and coffee farms. A real plus for us is that Bay View has a well paved and level parking area by the gazebor and roastery--no intimidating and steep, semi-paved driveway!

Bay View Farm is about a half mile on the Captain Cook (north) side of the famous Painted Chiurch, on the makai (ocean) side of the road. They have a coffee bag hanging out as a sign, so hopefully you are driving slowly to enjoy the views or you might miss it.

Top five reasons to visit Bay View Farm: (1) the coffees, (2) the welcoming proprietors and staff; (3) the location near Painted Church--a "must see" in Kona--and easy car access and parking, (4) the generous samples and variety of coffees and roasts, (5) the coffee! :-)

I can smell my coffee as I write this and know that it will keep my memories of a great half daytrip to Kona fresh when I get back to the cold East Coast!

7 Thank Honu_Ohana