Review Highlights
This is IT

If you want to feel like you are living in a real salt aquarium where everywhere you look below are... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
mg0401
Overland Park, Kansas
via mobile
Snorkeling Two Step is the best!

I visited Two Step 10 years ago with my sister and again this year with my husband and dad. Once... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
conzfonzfarz
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Honaunau
from $138.44
from $114.58
from $515.69
More Info
All reviews two step national park boat ramp lava rock fish sea urchins entry point the big island great snorkeling tide pools yellow tangs porta potties deeper water snorkel spot easy entry spinner dolphins snorkeling area
Selected filters
Reviewed May 21, 2015 via mobile

Best beach access snorkeling/diving on the big island. As in other posts, there is no beach. What this means is, there is no silt. Can easily see the bottom in 30 ft of water. The two steps in the lava allow you to sit down and put your gear on and just fall into the water. We went to two steps the end of April during a seasonal lull. We also went while the local kids are still in school. The local canoe club and fisherman use this area as well as tourists. They say it is crowded during peak summer months. There is also a boat ramp far to the left. Saw every indiginous fish, turtles, spinner dolphins, and even a manta. Must do!

1  Thank hngbz
Reviewed May 18, 2015

1st off, I have never heard anyone on-island refer to this snorkeling spot as Honaunau Bay. You'll normally hear it referred to as Two Step, a nickname derived from the most popular entry point into the bay.

For me, Two Step has a lot of Pros and Cons. On the positive side, you don't have to swim far to see impressive coral and fish life - it's all right there when you jump into the water. On the negative side, it can feel like an amusement park. It is REALLY popular, which means crowded entry/ exit, and feeling like you're snorkeling at Disneyland. Add onto this the fact that there are urchins, slippery rocks, and waves that can make entry and exit challenging. For me, it doesn't live up to the hype, but I can see why it is considered a "must do." Ultimately, I prefer a calmer and quieter environment where I feel more connected to nature.

Closing thoughts:
1. Not a good place for 1st time snorkelers; try to start them off somewhere a bit calmer and more protected. 2. Visiting early in the morning will help you avoid crowds and may provide calmer waters. 3. If you have a National Park pass or have paid for entry to the Place of Refuge, park there and walk down to the bay. 4. Try entering at the boat ramp instead of "two step." 5. Avoid at peak hours.

Date of experience: May 2015
4  Thank reller221
Reviewed May 18, 2015

This place is known as "two step" for its two huge rocks used to get in the water to snorkel. You put your stuff down on the rocks and head over to the two rocks to get in. I am a "beginner" snorkeler and freak out easily. I had trouble getting in just cause it drops off kinda quick and is an awkward entry. Also, there are a lot of people waiting to get in and out so there is a lot of pressure! I snorkeled around and saw some beautiful fish! It was amazing!
We came here twice since my husband loved it so much. The second time he went way out where the tour boats were letting people off and saw a few sharks.
This is a beautiful location and a great snorkeling experience.

Date of experience: June 2014
Reviewed May 13, 2015

Honaunau Bay was my 2nd favorite place to snorkel on the big island and it was a very CLOSE 2nd! The only thing that didn't make it 1st was how intimidating it can be once you're in the water. Along the edges you can see all of the fish & coral but if you go out in the middle on the right, it drops off pretty deep. It probably didn't help that there was a shark attack at Maui a few days earlier, so I had that in the back of my mind. It was extremely cool though because dolphins hang out there & they swam pretty close to us. A lot of beautiful fish and turtles!

Date of experience: May 2015
Reviewed May 11, 2015 via mobile

Honaunau is heavenly to snorkel! Many varieties of coral, fish. Sleeping dolphins in the bay. Turtles. BUT the "Two step" ease of access is untrue. The rock ledges are covered with small urchins, the surf is rough and the rocks are very slippery. My companion fell and I saw 2 other people fall in 3 visits.
The boat ramp is the best access. Very few boats use it. It is walk-in access to 3 ft of water in the wide bay where the toddlers play. Reef is right there. So do yourself and the urchins a favour. Walk in on the gently sloped boat ramp. Parking is also limited so best to get there early.

5  Thank Madrone22