“A Must Visit!”

Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Honaunau
More attraction details
Owner description: This 182-acre park contains the Puuhonua, a sacred place of refuge, as well as other temples and coastal sites.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Do take the time to travel out of town south to Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park (Place of Refuge). It is a fascinating and very important site in the history of the Hawaiians. The National Park is a wonderfully beautiful drive from the busy tourist area and the park land here is gorgeous and featured here is a very informative walking back into the history of the Hawaiian people. Take time to take the self-guided tour and to walk out through the park to the ocean. Along the way you will come to understand this "Place of Refuge" and why it holds special meaning for Hawaiians.

Note: Their is no snorkeling through the National Park however, it is possible to book snorkeling through a local snorkel boat company so that you can also see the underwater beauty of this very special place.

There is a $5 admission fee to the park that gives you a week of visits for very little. There are bathrooms and a small gift shop onsite. In addition, there are Park Ranger led historical interpretations twice a day that should not be missed. You may also make use of your cell phone for a self-guided tour by calling the number you receive when entering the park.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,481)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"great history"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

On my first visit to the PLACE OF REFUGE I walked 20 feet out onto the sand towards the fish pond. I was overwhelmed by Spiritual energy! I was paralyzed and in tears.
It happens every time I visit. I asked permission to Dowse the site . I located many energy vortexes and mapped them.

I have compared the map with Hawaiian spiritual leaders, they agree .
The energy here compares to Stonehenge and Glastonberry!!

We make a pilgrimage to this place every year.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I love to snorkel- the "two steps" area near the Place of Refuge was the BEST place we have ever snorkled. We went tow days in a row. We entered at the beach side and swam out - suddenly we were swimming in an aquarium. It was fantastic! We saw so many fish - the water was so clear. The second day God sent a turtle to swim past us - so awesome! A tip if you have a key with an electric fob - stop an buy a box of sandwich zipper bags. We triple bagged our key and it stayed safe and dry in my husband's swim trunk pocket.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a beautiful snorkeling destination, not too crowded, and there are picnic benches around, which is a little nicer than sitting on the ground. There is something very serene and beautiful about this area. It's very cool to be there when the paddlers are practicing too!