“A Great Memorial to the Corps! Semper Fi!”

National Museum of the Marine Corps
and up
Marine Corps Tour in Washington DC
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Triangle
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Museum of the Marine Corps is a lasting tribute to U.S. Marines--past, present, and future. Situated on a 135-acre site adjacent to Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia, and under the command of Marine Corps University, the Museum's soaring design evokes the image of the flag-raisers of Iwo Jima and beckons visitors to this 120,000-square-foot structure. World-class interactive exhibits using the most innovative technology surround visitors with irreplaceable artifacts and immerse them in the sights and sounds of Marines in action. Admission and parking are always free.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 6, 2009

My wife and I had just been to the USMC Twilight Parade at the Iwo Jima Memorial the previous evening and were driving south on I95. At Exit 150A, we headed East to US 1 (less than a mile) then right on US 1 about 1/4 mile to the well marked entrance.
The museum design is stunning and brings to mind the Marine Corps Memorial in Rosslyn depicting the flag raining on Mt Suribachi.
Inside the museum are figures that are extremely lifelike. A docent (guide) explined that actual people were cast in position so the resulting statues represent "real" people. Well done indeed.
The entrance pavilion is expansive and has a number of displays that all by themselevs would make the Museum worth a stop. But, don't stop there - continue through the Gallery.
As you wander through the gallery, display after display offers videos and stories by Marines depicted in a way to bring their experiences to life. No boring fact-filled monologues, but real Marines telling real, heart-wrenching stories.
We ate in the Mess Hall (cafeteria) on the second deck and it was good. Next door to the Mess Hall, the Tunn Tavern allows visitors to eat in an old style pub which brings to life the days of early recruiting in 1775 when the Corps was first established.
This is right up there with the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola and the Air Force Museum in Dayton.
Much more from the early days of the Corps will be added as the Museum expands but it is well worth the trip to see it now. We will make this a regular stop.

1  Thank BoilerMakerBob

Reviewed July 17, 2009

My husband and I made a special trip to go to the USMC museum. As a Marine, he was in heaven. It is free parking and free entrance. The building is beautiful and full of interesting displays. They are in the process of adding more displays, if you live nearby, check to see when they will be completed. We ate in the restauraunt, Tuns Tavern, great food. The gift shop was full of stuff my husband wanted to buy. This is a very special place for those who have been in the Corps. It would be interesting to those fond of the military or interested in history. Well worth the trip.

Reviewed April 6, 2009

This museum is well done, interesting, easy to follow along the history of the Marines and the history of the USA. It is indeed a must see. The design of the building certainly captures your imagination and that is only the beginning. Start with the orientation film and then move around in a clockwise direction. Take the time to read the words on the wall of the Leatherneck gallery, reflect on them, it makes one proud to be an American. We ate in the mess hall and the food was good and reasonably priced for such a venue. We spent about 4 hours in the museum, there is so much to see and do, we could have easily spent a day. It strikes me that it best viewed in short segments to allow the full impact to sink it.
Congratulations to the group that designed the facility. The employees and marines on duty were very helpful and friendly.

1  Thank bigbuster885
Reviewed March 31, 2009

My husband and I have been there twice, and absolutely love it! I've taken well over 400 photos and the museum is not even 100% complete.

Be sure to look around outdoors, as there are some very detailed monuments and inscriptions on the sides of the walkway.

I have not been to the tavern (restaurant) in the museum, but we did go to the Mess Hall, where the food is satisfactory but not something to write home about.

We definitely plan on going there again and cannot wait until our family visits so we can take them there as well.

1  Thank SmokeysMom
Reviewed August 11, 2008

We just came back from a trip which included a stop at the Marine Museum. I must say that it was so much more than I expected. The museum and grounds are beautiful. The recreated settings are so realistic. I went with my two boys, ages 14 and 6. We spent nearly an hour in the first section (dedicated to the making of a marine) alone. There were many opportunities for them to interact with the displays. In total, we spent over 3 hours touring the museum and were never bored. It is hard to believe that a museum of this quality is offered free to the public. I would highly recommend that everyone go here and immerse yourself in the experience.