“An excellent experience”

and up
Marine Corps Tour in Washington DC
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Triangle
More attraction details
Owner description: THE MUSEUM WILL BE CLOSED JAN 4-MARCH 31, 2016 DUE TO CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR UPDATES. The National Museum of the Marine Corps is a lasting tribute to U.S. Marines--past, present, and future. Situated on a 135-acre site adjacent to Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia, and under the command of Marine Corps University, the Museum's soaring design evokes the image of the flag-raisers of Iwo Jima and beckons visitors to this 120,000-square-foot structure. World-class interactive exhibits using the most innovative technology surround visitors with irreplaceable artifacts and immerse them in the sights and sounds of Marines in action. Admission and parking are always free.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed March 31, 2009

My husband and I have been there twice, and absolutely love it! I've taken well over 400 photos and the museum is not even 100% complete.

Be sure to look around outdoors, as there are some very detailed monuments and inscriptions on the sides of the walkway.

I have not been to the tavern (restaurant) in the museum, but we did go to the Mess Hall, where the food is satisfactory but not something to write home about.

We definitely plan on going there again and cannot wait until our family visits so we can take them there as well.

1  Thank SmokeysMom
There are newer reviews for National Museum of the Marine Corps

Reviewed August 11, 2008

We just came back from a trip which included a stop at the Marine Museum. I must say that it was so much more than I expected. The museum and grounds are beautiful. The recreated settings are so realistic. I went with my two boys, ages 14 and 6. We spent nearly an hour in the first section (dedicated to the making of a marine) alone. There were many opportunities for them to interact with the displays. In total, we spent over 3 hours touring the museum and were never bored. It is hard to believe that a museum of this quality is offered free to the public. I would highly recommend that everyone go here and immerse yourself in the experience.

Reviewed July 6, 2008

If you are visiting the DC area, or just driving through on I-95, you must carve out some time to visit this outstanding museum located a mere 1/4 mile off Exit 150A. First and foremost, it is free - so every family, no matter how large, can put this on their list of museums without an economic impact. Free admission was a wise decision by the museum as it encourages people to come in and learn about the USMC. Considering it costs nothing, the benefits of just spending time are enormous. If you don't come out of the museum with deep gratitude, inspired by tales of incredible bravery against enormous odds, and emotionally moved by the personal stories of this Nation's Marines, then you just may be missing a "human" gene somewhere. The building itself is an architechtural wonder as you can see in the photos. There are sections dividing war conflicts with related storyboards, artifacts, photos, movies, video, etc. The grounds outside are well worthy of a stroll and there is even a playground area for kids, because the small fry may get antsy, as I think the museum is best for older kids, 12 plus. So it's an opportunity for mom and dad to take turns on the playground while the other completes a visit inside. Also onsite are two eating choices - a cafeteria style restaurant with snacks, etc. and a historical recreation of a Philadelphia pub-style restaurant (where the Marines were officially "born" in 1775). Gift shop is large and has lots of choices. But we decided to put our money into the donation bin at the front door - a very worthy cause to keep this diamond of military history in operation. Semper Fi!

Thank TwoTravelersToG... A
Reviewed February 29, 2008

It's easy to get to, just off of 95, in a spanking new building of awesome design that commands its setting. You can't miss it--and shouldn't.

From the beginning, introductory film to the last, beautifully presented, cutting-edge display, it's a trip back through our country's history that will fill any American with pride. And impress all others.

Some of the photography and dioramas are graphic and discretion should be used in bringing kids. My boys would have enjoyed it from about the age of nine, on.

As we passed through the soaring reception hall on our way out, there was a group of ladies sitting in a crochet/knitting circle, busily making helmet liners for the troops in Iraq and Iran (instruction sheet at the entrance). I was so pumped up from seeing the museum that I wished I could have joined them.

1  Thank eshery
Reviewed February 12, 2008

I gave money to support the building of this monument that sits about 40 minutes south of DC in Quantico, VA. You cannot miss this awesome spectacle that shoots a glass sphere straight up in the sky. The museum is directly off Route 95 and was just opened November 2006 so it is fairly new and still outside is being constructed to set up walking trails and even a chapel. It is free of charge and is something for the entire family. The museum is one of the largest I have ever been in and will take you through not only basic training of Marines (I experienced first hand), it will take you through every war and battle, with artifacts, memorabilia and even panoramic displays that are so life like you would think you are there. There are also hands on exhibits as well and an movie theatre. The tavern upstairs and the mess hall serve food and the gift shop has a lot of cool stuff! This is a must visit well you are down in this area and something so new it puts other museums to shame! Make sure you put this on your trip list!

2  Thank lip89