“One of the best museums anywhere”

National Museum of the Marine Corps
and up
Marine Corps Tour in Washington DC
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Triangle
More attraction details
Owner description: THE MUSEUM WILL BE CLOSED JAN 4-MARCH 31, 2016 DUE TO CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR UPDATES. The National Museum of the Marine Corps is a lasting tribute to U.S. Marines--past, present, and future. Situated on a 135-acre site adjacent to Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia, and under the command of Marine Corps University, the Museum's soaring design evokes the image of the flag-raisers of Iwo Jima and beckons visitors to this 120,000-square-foot structure. World-class interactive exhibits using the most innovative technology surround visitors with irreplaceable artifacts and immerse them in the sights and sounds of Marines in action. Admission and parking are always free.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Long Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“One of the best museums anywhere”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Fabulous, interactive displays, perfect for all ages. My two boys (ages 11 and 12) were in heaven! You will not be disappointed that you made the trek from DC to see this place. So much information, you could really spend an entire day here. And, it's free!

• Korean first
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This museum is awesome! It was totally free and just beautiful. It was probably one of my favorite places on our vacation to the DC area. I would definitely go again. My husband was in the Marines and my nephew graduates boot camp tomorrow. Our son is in the Navy! Proud of my servicemen and proud to be an American!

1 Thank Jkbhh5
Hickory, North Carolina, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A most HUMBLING experience!!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I am the Mother of an Active Duty Marine. Our family has Marines in Heaven. We were able to spend our Easter break with my son, his wife and my new Grand daughter, (1 month old) ! They were excited to take us to the Museum, as they had been before and knew how much we would love and appreciate the experience. My 9 year old who adores his big brother was completely amazed as was I.

You will see life like (and I mean life like) soldiers from each war. The uniforms, weapons, the vehicles, living conditions. I can not explain the detail. I stood there and looked at several of the soldiers waiting for one of them to move.

There is not enough room for me to explain the emotions, the sadness, the pride and appreciation that will consume you if you truly grasp what is being shared with you on this journey.

I am so thankful for my Freedom. I'm thankful for all of our Military that have served and serve to protect our Country.

I am also, one PROUD USMC MOM !! If you ever have the opportunity visit this Museum must be on your list of things to experience.

Semper-Fi !!!!

Visited March 2013
gwennadams, Public Relations Manager at National Museum of the Marine Corps, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. To know that our Museum touches hearts in this way is the best praise we can receive. I hope you'll tell others about us and that you'll have the opportunity to visit again. And thank you for the service your family has given to our great Nation.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The best museum in the greater Washington, D.C. Area”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

First...FREE. Second, you can easily spend 3 hours here. The static displays are fantastic, Going into Korea, dark, cold, walking through a helicopter and coming out in Vietnam...Amazing. The WWI area is the best I have seen anywhere. No one does their history better than the Marine Corps. ! mile off of I-95 and your there. Should not be missed. Plus there is a restaurant inside the building-with Beer! Marine or no Marine-this is the Museum that sets the standard.

Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great museum!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stopped here because it was too late to drive into DC and visit a museum. This is a great museum - lots to see and do! Very educational! My fiance enjoyed himself, too, even though he is an Army vet. Very interactive place - great job with this place!

Visited March 2013
gwennadams, Public Relations Manager at National Museum of the Marine Corps, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I'm so glad you found the Museum! And I'm glad it was convenient for you, right off of I-95. Sometimes running late actually helps us find "hidden" gems. I'm not surprised that your fiance enjoyed the Museum because the story we tell usually inspires everyone. I hope you'll come back again and tell others about us.