“Sweet Place”

Ranked #1 of 1 Pipestone B&B and Inns
Bellevue, Kentucky
“Sweet Place”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The inn was great, there a was large winding staircase, stone walls, and a nice wooden bar. The western burger I had was delicious. My room had a good bed with wooden bed posts and old pictures on the wall. On the other hand, my TV had a high pitch noise that made it too loud to watch and it had a outdated regular style bathroom, but I'm told they have jacuzzi's and clawfoot tubs in some of the rooms, should have gone for those, that would have been sweeet.

Room Tip: Go for clawfoot tub or jacuzzi!
Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for the nice feedback! We are happy you enjoyed The Western Burger (can't go wrong with homemade BBQ) and enjoyed the historic features of our little inn. :-) All our rooms are very unique, so you'll have to come back and try out some newly renovated ones. We have since replaced the TV in your room, so thank you for letting us know about the noise. Until we host you again, take good care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Leland, Mississippi
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I've dreamed of visiting Pipestone Natl Monument for 40 years. This historic hotel added hospitality and a feeling of returning home to my visit. The new owners were very solicitous of my desires. I was surprised by the names on the rooms; mine was Abigail's Dream. I'm imagining it was named for Mrs. Abigail Gardner, historical person who figured in the history of the monument. The food at breakfast and dinner was delicious. Parking was easy. The bathtub had claw feet. My only difficulty was lighting for my morning writing, so I moved the lamp on top of the microwave. Even in the middle of the town, it was quiet, easy sleeping on the nights I was there, alas, only two of them. I'll stay here when I bring my grandchildren to Pipestone with me.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul H
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you for your kind words, sir! We were honored to host your very first visit to Pipestone, and hope to host you again someday! :-) Also, thank you for the advice on the lamps. We are trying hard to renovate our rooms one by one, and make sure the lighting isn't too bright or too dim. :) Take good care until we meet again!
Chaska,MN
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Hubby and I stayed while seeing national monument, historical Pipestone and Blue Mounds state park. Now new ownership working hard to upgrade. Staff was top notch! Food great...we hear that there are much nicer rooms than the one we got which was one the last ones available. Beautiful establishment..with a few rough edges shined up and continued upgrading abd better cleaning it will be a diamond.
Very reasonable prices. Great food!

• Stayed May 2014
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for the kind words! We enjoyed hosting you as well, and are happy to know that you appreciate all the updates and renovations we've progressively done. :-) Thanks again for choosing us and for visiting Pipestone!
Marion, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 22, 2014

tHank You! there's something very special about the Calumet inn the family running it does such a great job...they take pride in what they do And It Shows. the food there is phenomenal, the antique furniture and the history There give the experience an extra layer allowing you to feel immersed in the history of the area.

• Stayed May 2014
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you for your kind encouragement! We are happy to know that you appreciate the unique ambiance and history of our hotel, and we will definitely tell the kitchen about the "phenomenal" meal you enjoyed. :-) We hope you return to Pipestone and allow us the pleasure of hosting you again!
Pipestone, Minnesota
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I'm here for work and was told by several people to check this place out. It has 2 bars and dining, the staff is very friendly and rooms are clean and quiet. I will definitely continue to stay here while here for work.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for the glowing review, Mark! We enjoy having you as a repeat hotel customer, and accommodating your changing work schedule! Anything you need, just let us know and we'll do our best to make your stay as comfortable as can be!
Reviewed May 1, 2014

In area doing work, stopped for the night. Surprised with a restaurant, bar, etc. knew nothing about this place. Loved the ambiance of the building in and out. Loved the room. Comfortable. Quiet. Felt very old style. Felt a little creepy at first, but I loved that feeling. Can't wait to bring wife here for dinner, drinks and an evening. Only reason I didn't give it a 5 is cuz I did not eat at the restaurant.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
We are happy you loved your experience! Thank you for the kind comments about the cleanliness and coziness of our little hotel. Our housekeepers take great pride in taking care of this antique property. We look forward to hosting you and your wife for dinner, drinks, and a romantic night in Pipestone!
Dell Rapids, South Dakota
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I love the history of that place but some people say its haunted... Which I believe is true. Because I had an experience. Me, my uncle, and cousin went up to the third floor at room 309 and we didn't rent it out, the door was just open. So of course, we went inside to investigate. Before we went up there we asked the girl at the front counter if any of the rooms were rented out. She said no. Then we went up there. So when we got to 309 it was unlocked so we went in. It was a regular room with a fridge and a bed and bathroom and TV. Everything seemed normal. Until... we heard a noise in the closet. I ran out but my cousin and uncle stayed in and got locked in. None of us outside locked it. Actually, it was very cold in the room, and the heater was on! When we all got out we went downstairs to tell my family what had happened... When we got back upstairs to show them, it was locked, and we didn't lock it when we got out. We didn't close it all the way, nobody rented out rooms, it was only my family and friends there. Quite quiet inside other rooms because we took the tour. But when we went up there alone it was Crazy!

Another story is of my other cousin. He went up there to see if it was still locked that night and he tried to open the door and it shocked him! That is the first thing paranormal activity does to people. Then we went down the hall and he got shocked again! We all laughed and thought it was a consequence. But later when he was sleeping it shocked him again. We knew either a ghost did it or he rubs his feet on carpet too much. Honestly, he doesn't have any carpet at his house. Think about that.

This place was a cool experience, I would love to stay there again some time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your story! :-) Our hotel has anchored the historic downtown district since 1888, and has collected lots of interesting tales from employees and guests! :-) Friendly spirits, if any, give this building extra character. We hope to host you again someday!

Been to Historic Calumet Inn? Share your experiences!