“Great staff, NOT a typical Hampton Inn experience”

Super 8 Albuquerque Airport
Ranked #24 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel has a shuttle from the airport which I couldn't figure out how to contact in the airport so I took a $10 cab to the property instead of waiting. The hotel is very small and you enter the rooms from the outside. The elevator is outdoors and this poses some security issues for me. The staff is nice, but the rooms are really dated, the duvets didn't seem so new/clean (the whole reason I stay in Hampton Inns), and the bathroom is just indescribably small. Normally I don't take up much space, but the bathroom door made it harder to use the facilities and to enter the shower. Breakfast is pretty good here, some warm options and lots of other breads, waffles, yogurt, oatmeal etc. Monday through Wednesday they have a little happy hour where they serve wings or fajitas from 4:30-6:00. No drinks are served or offered. This hotel has no sundry shop and limited vending. It does have 1 computer for printing boarding passes. I didn't check out the pool.
Overall, I wouldn't stay here again despite a good rate (nor would I stay in the close by La Quinta Inn which looked terrible). The rooms are just too small and everything seems worn down making the cleanliness test hard to rate. If it weren't for the nice people, this hotel would be empty. Restaurants to consider: Cervantes and The Savoy -- one New Mexican and one fancier but worth it.

Room Tip: I preferred the 3rd floor to keep down outside foot traffic and increase security since the elevator...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Ajay J, General Manager at Super 8 Albuquerque Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback, we are sorry for the condition of your guest suite. We hope we can have another chance to show you what our warm Hamptonality is all about here at our hotel, if your travels bring you back to the area. *Further customization may be required

Reviewed March 6, 2013

The 4:30 snack was nice. The hotel has outside rooms. You have to walk around the building to lobby and pool area. The breakfast was good.The staff was very helful and seemed to care for the guest. The pool was cold and it did not have adqueate lighting at night. room was smal. The rooms did not have a microwave or a small fridge. The hotel is located right off of the freway and is close to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our flight got in an hour late and we had a several hour drive to get home so we decided to stay in ABQ for the night since the weather had been sketchy. I booked the Hampton because it has a decent breakfast and is usually pretty clean. This was no exception. While it's no 5 star hotel, we found it clean and comfortable. It IS an older property, but it didn't bother us. Unfortunately, the people above us were housing elephants that woke up at 5:30, and then a few flights left around 6 (and the planes fly right over you!) We had a hard time keeping the room warm enough, even though our thermostat was set to 70, it was blowing cold air. Weird.
We were exhausted and went to sleep as soon as we got in, so we didn't use the pool. Breakfast was pre-made omelets, "bagel toppers" and bacon, then the usual hotel fare (muffins, bagels, oatmeal, fruit, coffee, milk etc.) Great for grabbing as we checked out. The staff was very kind.
As far as decor etc. I can't say I really noticed much as I was so tired I could hardly walk by the time I got in the room. It was dark too, so I didn't really care.
The bed was pretty firm, but clean and the pillows were good.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor so you don't hear anyone above you. Apparently the walls are thin!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ajay J, General Manager at Super 8 Albuquerque Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for your postive review. Were glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I manage a Tripadvisor award wining property in the Cayman Islands and am aware of the intricacies in delivering a product which caters to every guests expectations.

On a recent trip I was forced to layover twice at this property going in and out of Albuquerque.
I chose the hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews along with price and location as considerations.

The hotel is very close to the airport and has a standing arrangement with a cab company as opposed to a shuttle. My check-in was extremely late and the front office attendant was friendly and helpful. I had expected two packages and both we waiting with the attendant's knowledge.

My room was clean although smaller than other Hilton Brand properties, however shared many of the same conveniences. Price is to be remembered here.
Bed was comfortable and quality of the sleep was what you would expect from any hotel close to a main road. I am a light sleeper and asked for a higher floor on my booking which was passed on to the hotel successfully. I would recommend the same, although there are not many floors to choose from.

Checkout was easy although they do not offer express checkout and breakfast was enjoyable although simple.

When considering any hotel room under $100 per night, I believe this product to be acceptable value for money.

Room Tip: Confirm transportation before you arrive.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for your comments. We greatly appreciate them.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I’m a Hampton Inn junkie; it’s one of my favorite mid-range hotel chains. This one at the Albuquerque airport, however, is an older Hampton Inn folks, one of the earlier properties built specifically for the brand. But times have changed and while the brand itself has evolved, this one is a relic. The rooms are entered from the outside; some people like it that way, some don’t. Count me among the latter. The rooms themselves are small and the bathroom facilities are uncomfortably small, and while this H.I. is well-maintained, there is only so much upgrading and fixing that can be done with a decades-old building. In the end, the overall feeling here is of a lesser hotel chain.
The WI-fi was complimentary but very uneven, constantly changing, giving me everything from 0 to 5 bars on the strength meter, going up and down relentlessly for no apparent reason.
Kudos to the staff. The two members I met were pleasant, gracious and helpful. Friendly, caring personnel contribute mightily to any hotel experience and this group, at least the ones I encountered, earned 5 stars!
Would I stay here again? It’s a toss-up. I didn’t dislike it but then I didn’t really like it either. It’s super-convenient to the terminal, but then so are 15 other similar hotels down the street and around the corner, many much newer. Bottom line: I wanted the full Hampton Inn experience I’ve come to expect and I wanted to be pampered. I didn’t get either…

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Ajay J, General Manager at Super 8 Albuquerque Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

We greatly appreciate your comments and are pleased to hear that you received great service from our staff.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Not what I consider an average Hampton Inn. I usually am very happy with the brand. Not with this hotel. LOW RENT HOTEL IN LOW RENT AREA. Straight out of the 1960's. Staff was fine. Breakfast was ok. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on my return; much better

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review, and I apologize for the disappointment in your stay. We have addressed the issues you mentioned with our staff and hope that you will consider staying with us again the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

outside noise from others moving about very distracting. and disturbing. typical breakfast, seat though was at a premium, had to get and go on a couple of occasions. internet was very slow. and kept kicking me off.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Ajay J, General Manager at Super 8 Albuquerque Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your business.