“Better Than Expected”

Ranked #57 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Bailey, Colorado
“Better Than Expected”
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I felt a recent review would be helpful as the postings when I was searching are from so far back. At least in English. I was a bit leary from the remarks I read to stay here but those concerns were quickly resolved once I arrived. The lobby is very simple - no where you'd want to hang around! The entire place is clean and I found the staff helpful in every way. I had asked to see the room they had reserved for me prior to booking and the person at the desk looked a bit distraught over doing so. In the elevator I asked, "Long day"? And that got us talking and things lightened up immediately. We stayed in a one room suite, meaning no seperate bedroom. It was a smoking room and that did smell of smoke, which is typical with my not being a smoker. Nothing a candle or room scents can't mask. There was a reclining chair which had a small rip in it but it was clean looking and comfortable. Speaking of which, the queen bed. More comfortable than mine at home! And the sheets were wonderful too. I was impressed for the prices of this hotel. They don't offer a continental breakfast but with the kitchenette that was fine. There store has snacks and frozen entree's or there are plenty of restaurants nearby. We loved the location. No building off the backside to look at just a bike path. Hot air balloons were our view on the last morning! Getting onto I-40 takes about 3 minutes but the traffic noise is nominal. We chose to leave the window open at night and never were bothered by it. I would stay again and recommend this hotel. It's a good value with having a microwave, refrigerator and two burner stove. There is also a workout room, free washer and dryers and the option 24/7 to Gold's Gym! Oh, and on Wednesday's they serve some yummy food and drinks for customer appreciation!

• Liked — Comfy bed
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank kmiller4555

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed August 17, 2007

Room was clean, and very large. Front desk folks were helpful and friendly. I have stayed here four to five times and keep coming back when I'm in ABQ on a biz trip. Hard to beat the price compared to other hotels in the area. I'll keep staying at this property.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank wmanion
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 13, 2007

I was impressed with this hotel compared to other suite-type places I've stayed at in the past. The room was quite clean and was a reasonable size for one person. I think it would be too small for more than two people, but as I was there by myself, it was fine. The kitchen area was nice and well-stocked with plates, glasses, utensils, etc. There was also a good-sized table for working or eating.
The hotel was pretty quiet, although I don't think there were a lot of other people staying there at the time. My room was facing the front of the hotel so I did hear some noise through the window when cars would pull up in front, but it wasn't a problem. There was a nice selection of cable television channels as well. The hotel has a decent collection of videos that guests can watch for free, although I did not partake of these because the cable choices were suitable for me.
I thought the hotel was conveniently located for where I needed to go. It's on a side street, out of the way but not too far from the highways, and there are some shopping areas nearby. It seemed to me like a pretty safe area to be in.
Overall, I thought this place was a good value for the price I paid, which was just under $70 per night. I recommend it and would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Room quality
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank snowglobe
North Texas
Reviewed February 2, 2007

I recently stayed here on business from Jan 29 - Feb 2 and I must say from the time we arrived we had problems. We were placed in a non smoking room and they were not very accomodating in getting us into another room. It took many complaints for them to even take action and that was like day 3 of 5. The hotel manager needs to be more customer focus and friendly. Apart from the smoke the room was satisfactory.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank texasguy77
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 26, 2005

THIS REVIEW IS FOR CANDLEWOOD SUITES!
I picked this hotel basically on price since my husband and I were mainly traveling to Albuquerque on business, not really pleasure. This hotel is an extended stay property which might be why it was so inexpensive, but it was only $59.00 a night! In the picture the hotel looked new, and I really don't know how old it was but it seemd quite new to us. The only thing that looked a little out of place was the carpet which looked a little shabby.
I have never stayed at a Candlewood Suites, but we were impressed with the size of the room which was only a studio suite. It had a stove, full size fridge, microwave, dishwasher and plenty of cabinet space. It also had a full bath, dvd and vhs player, cd player and a queen size bed, all for less than $60!!
It was clean, spacious and quiet as well. I took advantage of the gym for 2 days which was connected to the "cupboard" area. If you didn't want to work out there, they even hooked you up at a local gym to work out for free!
The cupboard is stocked with everything you could want, from candy bars to fruit and frozen dinners to breakfast burritos. Anytime of day you can go in there and pay a minimal price on the honor system. I think this says alot about this hotel that they trust people to be honest about their purchases! I bought several things, and the price was always less than what I would pay at the store- no mark-ups! I had to get a bottle of travel hairspray while we were there, and it was only 25 cents.
They also offered FREE dvd or vhs rentals and they have dvd and vhs players in all of the rooms, which I thought was also very unique and cool.
So many ammenities and freebies at Candlewood suites- who wouldn't love that? We got there pretty late, and they have a neat check in system for that. They have little mailboxes with your key and instructions in there waiting for you, and in the morning you just go and finish your check in with someone at the desk. At first I thought that would be bad if you needed someone late at night, but it does make checking in nice and simple when it's late and your tired, AND they did provide a 24 hour number if there was a problem.
This hotel displays alot of trust in their guests, and we thought that was great! The location was amazing. It was off I-40 and equal distances from Sandia Peak and Old Town. Only a few exits away for both! We loved this place for all that it offers, and the value! I highly recommend Candlewood Suites!

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
8 Thank leslee_r
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 29, 2005

Directly after our wedding my wife and I went to the Candlewood suites where a friend had given us a Gift Certificate for our wedding night. As soon as we walked in we were met by a fairly shabby unspectacular lobby and another person already having to complain about their room. When the other person was nice enough to let us by so we could try to get checked in (as I was in my Tux and she was in her Wedding Dress) the incompetent person at the counter (who was alone running the hotel) had no idea how to check us in. He had to call his manager which took about 15 minutes and while explaining his problem he did not once mention that we were obviously newly weds. So with a total of about 30 minutes waiting in the lobby, which had no places for more than 2 people to sit (there were already two people there) we were finally checked in and went up to our room. As we left Mr. incompetent said "we're not like other hotels where you get a breakfast, but there's a convenience store down the hall" where we can have the joy of buying our own breakfast and nicely have it charged to the room if we want. To be fair the room wasn't bad and at least we didn't have to pay for it. If we had I would have been complaining a lot more than I am now.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 10, 2002

The room was very clean, and very well laid out; you could see the TV from everywhere in the room -- even while taking a soak in the bathtub!
The room comes with queen bed, kitchenette, good closet, and work desk with good swivel/reclining office chair (not some straight back wood chair like some hotels).
Free VHS movies; and reasonable (for a hotel) data port long distance fees of 25cents a minute.
But room was small, and AC/heater was very noisy, so IMHO not worth more than $70 a night.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member