“Old hotel with huge, updated Marriott rooms!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn Albuquerque University Area

Fairfield Inn Albuquerque University Area
Ranked #72 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
New Jersey
“Old hotel with huge, updated Marriott rooms!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was driving to Tucson via Albuquerque and booked this room, asking for 'high floor' and if a view, would like that. I got room 356 which faces a lovely courtyard. I'm sure when the big tree is in bloom it is really pretty. The young man at the desk (Alec ? Alex?) helped me get to the hotel because I chose to take my navigation's directions instead of mapquest (mistake). I asked him for a recommendation for 'good mexican food' and he suggested a place 2 blocks away THE RIDGE CAFE. It was great New Mexico cuisine, highly recommended.

I tried to use the workout room (you have to go outside in the chill to get there) and it wouldn't open and was supposed to be open after 5 a.m. I asked the young lady at the desk and she said 'I'll call security' but though I waited for a few minutes inside with a view of the door to that room, no one came.

Had the complimentary breakfast; a really tasty southwest omelette you 'cooked' in the microwave, some grapefruit in a little cup, milk, coffee & a banana to take with me.

The coffee makers in the room are silly as they only make one LITTLE cup at a time. I think probably most people staying in a room are couples and so it should be at least a 2 cup maker. I myself made 2 cups just for me.

The room is HUGE and very Marriott and has a big sofa that is a pull-out so that would be great for a family visit.

I probably would stay here again but when I come back through in March I'll probably just try some other place to see what I can get for around the same price.

Room Tip: I had 356 if you want a little courtyard view. Definitely ask for a room NOT facing the highway!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jansjourneys

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

So here's the deal this property has some nice things going for it like, it's been recently updated and offers a free breakfast. But....the pet fee is outrageous! $75 is not an appropriate fee for my 8 pound dog who fits in my handbag! The pet fee was almost as much as the room rate! Also my biggest pet peeve, hair on the bathroom floor :( Yuck! I don't want to think about the fact that someone else used this bathroom yesterday. The sad thing is that all the good qualities of a property quickly fade away when you see body hair on the bathroom floor.....know what I mean? This isn't a bad property and I may stay here again I just think that the cleaning staff needs to up their game AND reevaluate the $75 fee for my tiny well trained companion!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Anneisfashion
Casa Grande, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Traveling from Phoenix to Colorado Springs we stopped in Albuquerque for the night at this hotel. The young man of front was in training and had a good grasp on services. Our check-in took a couple extra minutes but he was very professional and very service oriented. We stayed in a downstairs room and were very pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness. There was no highway traffic noise and exceptionally easy to continue our travels northbound.

Room Tip: We found it to be clean.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Larissa, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel, like nearly every other Fairfield Inn I have stayed in is clean, comfortable and a good value. One thing that stood out is that the rooms are very large, probably as a result of the age of the hotel. (It appears to be freshly renovated and does not have that tired look some places get.) The hotel is very close to the highway which makes it convenient for those passing through, like myself. A bonus is the Circle K nearby seems to have the lowest priced gas in the area. Breakfast is normal for this chain, basic but pretty decent. I would recommend this to those who are looking for a value and are staying a short time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Silver City, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've stayed here twice over the past few months on weekend trips to ABQ. The description of this as "university area" threw me off, and to be honest I wouldn't have booked here if I had first checked it on the map. It's nestled in one the corners created by I-25 and I-40, not at all what I consider near UNM, and on arrival I thought "what noisy situation have I gotten myself into?".

But my first visit was remarkably quiet -- I had a courtyard view, and it turned out to be very convenient to most of the places I wanted to visit. It's relatively new, and the room was in very good shape. The staff was courteous and helpful. And the price was right.

On my second visit, I was originally placed in a room looking out on Menaul Boulevard and near the vending/ice machines. It was noisy from the moment I checked in. After 2 tries, I finally was switched to a quieter room. It looked out on I-40, but from a considerable distance. And this time the staff was even more than just helpful -- patiently accommodating my requests for a room shift and providing me with a power plug to USB converter. (I was surprised that the clerk even knew what I was talking about, much less had one at her disposal.)

So ... insist on a courtyard view and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank NewOdysseus
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I don't understand the negative reviews this property has been given. Please don't stay here if you expect an upscale Marriott experience at less than 100.00 per night. What can you expect? A very nice, clean room! I have stayed at Marriott resorts in Hawaii and Las Vegas (the rates were more than double than the price I quoted above) and this room was actually comparable. The bed was very comfortable with quality linens and the bathroom had a granite counter. The best part of our stay was the free breakfast. It had many more options than I would ever had expected and the coffee was great. Top this off with a very friendly staff and you've got a great hotel property. Thanks again for exceeding my expectations, Marriott!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Marriott website says this hotel was built in the early seventies...and it shows. Time to call the bulldozers or give the hotel back to Motel 6 or Super 8. While the room appeared clean and the lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful this property does not live up to Marriott standards. If you get stuck staying here, hope that your air conditioner is loud enough to drown out the street noise and the hallway noise, as the doors let in light because they dont seal properly...or at all. I saw one guest bring the security latch to the front desk because it had pulled out of the wall! Use this place as a last resort.

• Stayed October 2012