“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #75 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Edinburgh
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed November 8, 2006

After reading some of the "horror" reviews posted on this website, I really wasn't looking forward to my 5 day stay at the Hotel Blue. I was pleasantly surprised! The staff were great and not only did they pick you up from and take you to the airport, if the shuttle driver wasn't busy with an airport run, he was more than happy to drive you to the convention centre, Old Town, and Downtown and come back later to pick you up.

The beds are terrific and definitely the most comfortable I have ever had in a hotel. The breakfast for a hotel of this category was also much better than expected and definitely healthier than you would normally get for an American breakfast (eg. doughnuts, wishy-washy coffee). There was wholemeal bread, raisin bran, fresh fruit, yoghurts, skimmed milk as well as bagels and the usual pastries. The only down side of the breakfast was that all the cutlery and plates were disposable and the waste is something that is hard for Europeans to get used to.

Yes, the rooms are a bit dark if you keep the curtains shut to stop people looking in, but if you don't mind the occasional passer by, open the curtains and let in the light! The room was clean and there was plenty hot water. I was attending a congress so I wasn't in my room much and didn't miss not having a desk, although I can see that for people who need to work in their rooms this could be a problem.

Regarding the homeless, yes there were some guys wandering around and sleeping in the park opposite, but there were also homeless people hanging round the Hyatt and Doubletree Hotels. Speaking of which, if you want to hear some horror stories, talk the folks who stayed in these hotels - noisy, cramped rooms, awful service, double booking etc.

In summary, if you want the standard of the Ritz, then pay the Ritz price. If you just want somewhere to put your head down after a long day and you are on a budget, the Hotel Blue offers good value for money.

• Liked — Beds, healthy breakfst
  • Disliked — Disposable cutlery and plates
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank CFoster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
S Wales
Reviewed October 28, 2006

Two words sum up this experience "Cheap" & "Adequate".

I was attending a conference, didn't book soon enough and ended up deciding whether to "risk it" (having read some of the reviews on TA), stay a cab ride away or pay silly amounts of money.

I was expecting the worst. Its not that bad.

Plus points:
- Staff - friendly, helpful and courteous;
- fast evaluator;
- Shuttle to airport (wish I'd checked in advance and saved myself the $17 taxi ride)
- free breakfast
- 5 min walk to convention center

Negative points:
- Broadband in rooms didn't work (Wifi in lobby was fine)
- My room didn't have a desk
- the floor carpet in the the 1/2 of my room near the bathroom was soaking - not sure if from cleaning or previous occupant
- small rooms (for USA)

Clearly its an old hotel and has signs of the 'youth' guests which others have indicated - the coat rack in my room had been pulled off the wall and replaced poorly. Rooms are a little dark - and you need to keep your curtains closed else everyone can take a look in as they walk past on the balcony.

I've stayed in worse for more.

• Liked — location, cost
  • Disliked — soaking carpet in room
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank drc225

Travelers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

Arizona
Reviewed October 22, 2006

I booked 2 rooms here over the phone and was told they had a 24 hour cancellation policy. I cancelled over a week before, was told all was good and I wouldn't be charged, and then I was! So I called, they said no problem, would refund my $$ and two weeks later I called again since I hadn't seen the refund, and they said they didn't know anything about it. I spoke with the manager who said she needed a copy of my statement as proof- they can't see that on their end that they charged me??- and that it would be 5-15 days after that before I would see the refund. I am incredibly disappointed. I like to stay at non-chain hotels when possible, but this service was bad. She wasn't even nice or apologetic about it. At this point I'm talking to my bank for a resolution. Stay away!

• Liked — It seemed like a cute, little one of a kind place for a decent price
  • Disliked — The service was horrific!
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank sstokman
albuquerque
Reviewed October 12, 2006

the quality of the rooms is very poor, especially considering the condition of the rooms. not much up from motel 6. the staff is extremely rude an unproffesional. not only did they double charge me, i had to call them 3 times to get refunded. every time i called they said they had refunded me, and had the nerve to be upset that i had to keep calling to get my money back. it's was not worth the hassle and headaches, or the price.

• Liked — the proximity to downtown albuquerque
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — don't do it!!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
4 Thank xlucyferx
Stoke on Trent England
Reviewed October 9, 2006

stayed here for two nights whilst travelling along route 66.
clean rooms, helpful staff, secured parking, coming from England did not know if there is any problem with crime or security we certainly did not feel threatened at any time. walked to old town but it was quite a trek. some bars and restaurants were a little closer though. Pool area was nice but no loungers just chairs so sunbathing was not an option. supposed to be bar in hotel but never found it.

• Liked — staff helpful
  • Disliked — no loungers by pool
  • Tips/Secrets — don;t walk to old town get taxi
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
calgary
Reviewed October 4, 2006

The marketing of this property as "art deco" and "chic"is form over substance. It is neither. This is an old route 66 cinderblock 50's motel with some minor cosmetic work. It is in a bad part of downtown and not within walking distance of anything interesting.
I'm assuming that the faeces on the bedspread was an isolated incident, as the staff seems helpful. When we told locals where we were staying, some were impolite enough to only roll their eyes; others had some words of consolation.

• Stayed September 2006
3 Thank jorge-vis
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 23, 2006

My boyfriend and I (40s/50s) stayed one night at the Hotel Blue in late August, and it was nicer than I expected. It doesn't ooze charm, but the room was spacious and clean, the bed was good, and from the walkway outside (we were on the 6th floor) there was a panoramic view.

The staff was friendly & recommended a good restaurant nearby, and the free continental breakfast was extensive--they even had a waffle maker.

We didn't use the pool, but I could see it from the breakfast area, and it looked fine. Parking is free, in a keyed lot, and there is a small underground parking area. The location is just a few blocks from the heart of Central Ave.

The air-conditioner was not great, but that would be our only complaint. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a solid budget choice.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Air conditioner
  • Tips/Secrets — Less than a mile away (but not a great walk at night) is Garcia's, a good place for a very inexpensive meal. Diner atmosphere & no alcohol, but the food is good, and it's friendly.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple