“Don on Route 66”
Review of The Hotel Blue

The Hotel Blue
Ranked #75 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed August 29, 2006

I am on the road for 21 days. 21 days, 19 motels.
I am following RT 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica, I will continue from there up the California coast thru San Francisco and ending in Sacramento. From there I will fly back to Chicago. I will review my every stop on the way. I am Don on Route 66.

Well.... I wouldn't consider it to be a “Chic Boutique” and it isn’t “in the Heart of Albuquerque's Downtown District”, but I did like it.

I believe that someone, over the last 10 years or so, invested a lot in refurbishing what I believe was probably a Holiday Inn or Best Western. It is a 6 story Motor lodge right on Rt 66. As far as “the Heart of Albuquerque's Downtown District”, it’s more or less, on the edge of “The District”. It’s right across the street from a very nice park that appears to be home to many homeless people. A mile or so beyond that is Old Town. Not much in between. There is only 1 restaurant in walking distance. It is directly across the street; a standard “red sauce and pasta” Italian restaurant. It was OK.

The room was huge and as clean as clean can be. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. They offered Ethernet access in the room (which didn’t work for me). Wireless access was available in the lobby and by the pool. The outdoor pool was the biggest that I have seen at a motor hotel. The staff was very friendly. Over all, the stay was very good. This place wouldn’t be for everyone, but it was for me….

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank DonRoute66

Reviewed July 31, 2006

We spent 7 days in Albuquerque and we were satisfied by the accomodation. There is nothing fancy here, but it has some definite advantages, the first one being that it is relatively close to OLd Town and Downtown and it offers free shuttles to the Old Town. If u do not have a car, transportation can be a huge problem in Albuquerque, so consider this.

It was clean, tidy, it was definitely OK.

Some downsides: the pool is a bit shady and the "continental breakfast" is not that nice but stilll there is some choice in the pastries.....

I would definitely recommend it when visiting Albuquerque on a budget and when you do not dispose of a car..

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Silvertongue
Reviewed June 18, 2006

Pros:
-location is excellent for tourists (also great if you want to check out the Alb. nightlife dowtown--safe walking distance to plenty of clubs, bars etc.)
-recently renovated
-free shuttle to nearby spots (didn't use it, but it's a nice touch)
-gated parking--there's a lot of auto burglary along central, so it's a good idea to have secured parking
-nice pool
-pleasant staff
-A/C worked fine (very important consideration in Alb.)

Cons
-Flimsy bed "frames." When you feel the shimmy (or the slant), you'll know what I mean.
-somewhat flaky maintenance
-fitness room with equipment in various states of disrepair
-very dimly-lit rooms (especially in the shower)
-annoying light switch that turns on a light to the room every time you want light inside the bathroom (not pleasant if you are sharing the room and don't wish to wake someone every time you use the bathroom at night)
-noisy, party atmosphere at times (seemed quiet enough inside the room though)
-strange, poorly labeled external entrances connected by locked, caged-in stairways.

As the other reviewers have noted, the hotel blue is a concrete-slab, high rise hotel, probably a former Super 8, that has been painted with blue accents and fitted with Tempur-pedic mattresses. The whole attempt at an art deco thing is just silly, but it does give an otherwise soulless building a little David Lynch charm. If the Hotel Blue really wants to follow a class act , they should study the Hotel Congress in Tucson.

My only real annoyance with the place was with my bed. My friend and I booked a double with two queen beds. When we arrived to the room, one bed was stripped and fresh bedding was sitting folded on the nearby chair. My initial impulse was to call and ask room service to make up the forgotten bed. I decided not to be a bother and just made it myself. Big mistake. That night I had a hell of a time sleeping. The bed seemed to be sitting at a slant and every time I rolled over I was rolling downhill. I assumed the bed had come off its platform or frame, but didn't want to wake up my friend by messing with it.

The next morning I discovered that the beds sit on nine flimsy plastic legs screwed into the bottom of the box frame. Three of the legs under my bed were detached and the screws were bent. I can only guess at the wild romp had by the previous tenants. Whoop, Whoop! Anyway, I went down and asked the front desk to fix the problem and found out that maintenance was supposed to have done the work the day before and never did--hence the unmade bed upon our arrival. They had to be reminded one more time that morning before fianally fixing the bed. In the end it was fine, but I think they will have a lot more problems with those flimsy bed fixtures.

I found my stay there to be fine and might consider Hotel Blue again. However, Albuquerque has a plethora of hotel choices, and I've often found much better deals on rooms than the AAA discounted $62.00 that the HB was willing to offer me (still pretty good for a safe hotel on Central downtown).

If you've never stayed with an independent New Mexico hotelier, be prepared for some idiosyncrasies, or stay in one of the chain hotels if you're uptight about it. Personally, I'll take the quirks over corporate blandness anytime.

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank toolmeister
A TripAdvisor Member
OKC
Reviewed March 18, 2006

Okay, so they promote that they have tempurpedic (sp?) matresses. Note that it is the base model and it doesn't quite cuddle you. It's actually quite firm and a bit hard on the shoulders if you are a side sleeper. Other than that, I found the hotel adequate for the price. It served its purpose for a quiet place, last minute stay a short distance from old town. They did provide gated parking for your car.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member