“I stayed once and I came back, AND I would go back again!”
Review of The Hotel Blue

The Hotel Blue
Ranked #75 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I am a single female in my upper 20s. I stayed at The Hotel Blue in March 2011 and had to travel back to Albuquerque in May and chose to stay there again, each for a week time span. First, I will say I LOVED the beds (Tempur Pedic), I've never slept better in my life. Second. I will admit that from the outside (hallways/elevators and balcony...all rooms are entered from the outside) the place looks a little rough/run down (i.e. lots of chipped paint, scuff marks) but the room are immaculately clean and so well kept! Third, you can't beat the amenities for the price; all the rooms have a fridge, coffeemaker, hair dryer, gas fire place, huge flat screens. The AC and heat both work well. I like the included breakfast and there was quite a variety of food offered (HB eggs, cereals, oatmeal, waffle maker, a variety of breads and rolls, juices, milk, coffee, teas, yogurt, fruits). I made a PB&J sandwich every day and packed it along with me so I didn't have to buy lunches. Fourth, all staff at the desk and housekeeping are very helpful and attentive. I had to ask for a blow-dryer because mine was broken, as well as extra towels and pillows and staff was very accommodating. Fifth, Parking- They do have gated in parking. The second time I stayed the gate was left open the whole time and a few nights the lot was full, so I had to park on the street. My car was totally fine/safe parked on the street multiple nights. Sixth, I like the location. It is downtown so obviously there will be the noise of traffic however, I do not find this personally bothersome. The hotel is on one end of down town and about a 15 minute walk to Old Town. It was easy to walk into downtown to restaurants and the bus/train station and into old town. I never felt unsafe walking there, even at night. Although, I will say I am from a big city so I am quite used to what a downtown city environment is like after dark. I talked to an older gentleman guest who was telling me that he was a little nervous when he drove up and saw the place, but had been pleasantly surprised at how nice his stay was. Stay here if you visit ABQ. It is excellent. I have paid much more money for hotels (upwards of 200/night) that I was not nearly as pleased with.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank blondie62884

Reviewed May 25, 2011

unsatisfactory, however, I booked late (that day) and found the staff very courteous and helpful. I found the property to be maintained, my King Bed accommodations with complimentary toiletries to be a nice touch as well as the wired connections to the Internet, which in my opinion was better than spotty wi-fi in other properties. The only downside is the neighborhood does appear sketchy at night, but it is very conveniently located to most downtown, old town, and even university areas.
I intend to stay there again this summer.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank uberabqdude
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We loved this place. My wife wasn't feeling well so this was a last minute change of plans decision. Yes, it is an old Traveler's Lodge, revamped and on the old Route 66 through the heart of town but they have done a great job of remodeling it. The beds are new and very comfortable, there is a huge new flat screen TV with cable. We had a wonderful view of the Sandia Mountains. it is in the heart of town with a really good Italian restaurant next door, Cafe De Capo, and the breakfast was excellent for a serve yourself arrangement. Best of all the clerks are very friendly and helpful (we got an even better price for a second nights stay). If you stay there don't miss the self guided tour of the Kino Theater three blocks away. This Indian-Deco old movie house will blow you away.

Room Tip: Get a mountain facing upper story room
2  Thank Thinline5
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed for just one night as we passed through the city. Welcoming staff. Free newspaper and delicious cookies upon arrival. We were on Floor 5 and the hall was not too nice with an ice machine that did not work and looked to be almost falling over (dangerous?).
Otherwise, the hotel was great. Spacious, nicely decorated rooms with microwave, huge TV, fridge, A/C or heat/, very comfy beds and pillows and nice showers.
Breakfast was also delcious and plentiful....lots of choices - cereal, oatmeal, waffles, bagels, coffee, juices, hard boiled eggs. Also free parking in secure (at night) lot and Internet connection (they provided the ethernet cable which was great).

We did not use the swimming pool but it looked really nice and clear as well.

We would certainly stay here again and recommend. A great value.

Reviewed April 8, 2011

On my arrival, the initial appearance was not good. The outer appearance leaves a lot to be desired. However, on entering the lobby, the interior is completely different and looks great - well-kept and modern. The walk to our room was outside as this is a motel and again made me concerned about the room as my wife is kind of picky. On entering our room, just as the earlier contrast, it was the opposite of the exterior. The room looked great, clean and modern. 42 inch television, electric fireplace and most importantly a Tempur-pedic mattress. Several months ago, my wife and I bought one and paid more than 3 thousand dollars because of her medical issues. This was worth staying there and it also had a competetive rate. No in-house restaurant, but being in downtown Albuquerque, there were several well within walking distance. Got reception of the wireless internet on the 2nd floor, east side, otherwise the connection is wired. Complimentary breakfast which was pretty standard for most hotels I've stayed in. Will definitely stay there again if I return to Albuquerque and if the exterior appearance is not a concern, I would definitely recommend.

1  Thank TJTackleberry
Reviewed April 8, 2011

Great bed, beautiful TV, excellent location, friendly service, nice amenities (pool; cont. breakfast; delicious cookies in the lobby). Fabulous price. Plenty of good restaurants a very short walk away. It's not the Ritz, but for what it is, it couldn't be better.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I have stayed in many hotels in Albuquerque, and this hotel offers the best value so far. The location is convenient plus it offers all great amenities including toileteries and bottled water at no extra cost. Great shuttle service, internet, tempurpedic bed, big flat screen tv, microwave and refrigerator in the room make me go back. The lobby looks nice, exterior needs some work. I always enjoy talking to the staff.

• Stayed: February 2011