“Classy hotel at a great price”

DoubleTree by Hilton Albuquerque
Ranked #33 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Bella Vista, Ca
“Classy hotel at a great price”
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We found ourselves in Albuquerque unexpectedly and ended up at the Doubletree. We were given an excellent rate: $79 per night plus taxes, etc. This is a huge hotel, about 16 floors high and is clean, attractive, modern, and well-maintained. I've never had a more comfortable bed.

The location of the hotel is quite convenient if you have a car, as it is not far from Old Town, museums, and good restaurants. All of the employees were very courteous, helpful, and welcoming. We would definitely stay here again. I might add that Albuquerque is quite pleasant in August, as it is at an altitude of 5000 feet. It gets pretty warm in the afternoons, but it's very dry heat and cools down nicely at night. Mornings are perfect.

• Liked — Clean and attractive
  • Disliked — Dining room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Chicago
Reviewed August 22, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for ten nights in August 2008. The hotel is not horrible but its also not a luxury hotel.

The staff at the front desk could use some lessons in efficiency. It took me three trips to various rooms to find a room that was not occupied or had not been cleaned. The staff was young and they did not seem like they had been through many lessons in customer service.

Once I did get a room, the room was decent. I love the fact that the AC worked, and I could adjust the temperature. That is not the case for many hotels today. The volume of the AC did not bother me. I had a nice view of the mountains and the city. The bed was comfortable. I can not complain about the room as it was ok. It is not the Four Seasons and its not Motel 6.

Room service was actually good. I did not expect much but I loved the soup that I had for dinner.

The gym at this hotel is small but has everything you might need for a stay. The pool looked nice as well... a bit small but it was nice to have the option.

I am would not run back to the hotel for another stay, but I would also not refuse to stay here again.

• Liked — Free internet and AC you can control
  • Disliked — Staff at Front Desk
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 8, 2008

This place is a joke, rude, dirty and non responsive to complaints. Had we not been to the hotel because of bowling I would have left - augh! I can not even begin to tell people how mad they have made me - This is a letter I sent them weeks ago with no response:

To Whom It May Concern:

On May 9-13, my husband and I stayed in your Downtown Albuquerque, NM location. I am writing you today because it was one of the most un-enjoyable experiences we have had at a hotel in a long time. First and foremost we would like to say you were far from a “10”. To begin, our check-in was a disaster. We traveled by car for over 12 hours and arrived to your hotel, we checked in and the desk clerk did not review our room or ask us any questions. We traveled with friends and they were checking in next to us, they were receiving all types of details. I asked to be moved to a higher floor, a large sigh from the clerk and then he moved us to another floor. We travel up the elevators to the room to arrive at 2 full beds; completely unacceptable when we requested a KING. I called the front desk for assistance for a room with a King bed, I was told there were none available and if I wanted to wait an hour they might could find me a room. Again, I was in the car for over 12 hours, I did not want to wait and hour for room. I asked politely to speak with the manager and he scuffled and basically ignored the request. I got very upset and he finally said he would stick me in a room. I then traveled back down stairs and went into a new room. At this point we were ready to leave and were not looking forward to 4 nights at your hotel.
The next morning we decided to try the restaurant, this was a big mistake. We had terrible service; our waitress did not even ask us for an order we had to ask her. She then slammed down our drinks and food and we never saw her again. We talked to the manager, but he just said “sorry” in a very non caring way. Again far away from a “10”.
The next few days continued to be just ok, nothing spectacular. When we received our hotel bill we were again surprised and disappointed because we were charged for parking. We did not have a car, this just aggravated us more. We decided that we would speak to the manager as we checked out of the hotel. We spoke with her in great detail and I filled out a comment card, she said that we needed to call Travelocity for a comp night because there was nothing she could do at that point. She scurried us out and gave us some cookies. At this point, we leave and when we arrive home my husband calls Travelocity. They (Travelocity) stated that they had never heard of hotels telling clients to contact them for a refund. My husband stayed on the phone with them for over an hour as they contacted the hotel and ultimately could not help him. He then called your manager of the Hotel and left her a detailed message. To this day, she has not returned his call. After many nights of calling Travelocity he was finally able to get one night comped, but to me this is so small compared to the trouble, time and wasted energy. I am still highly disappointed in the service from your hotel and I will have to think long and hard about staying at any of your other locations.

By the way, I am not going on to Trip Advisor and all other travel websites and giving you a terrible rating…

• Liked — Nothing...
  • Disliked — Everything...
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 24, 2008

I stayed here for one night before a wedding (which was held elsewhere) because the price was equivalent to other Hilton properties in town. I arrived very late, around 1 a.m., and was given Room 1403 and a still-warm cookie. The lobby has been totally renovated and looks much sleeker than the faux-Southwest nightmare that you see when click on "Hotel photos" above. The room was in a corner and the front door was immediately adjacent to Room 1405; I could vaguely hear their TV while in my room. The a/c unit was a little loud but not really that bad.

Bed and towels and most of the furniture looked new and everything was comfortable. The bathroom was quite nice, and the shower had good water pressure. Wifi was spotty but did work better on one side of the room than the other. The parking is $10/day and the lot was half-empty while I was there. I didn't see the restaurant or bar or gym so I have no idea what that was like. Overall it was kind of bland but I don't have any strong complaints.

• Liked — Comfortable and modern room
  • Disliked — Spotty wifi, could hear TV from next room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 1, 2008

The Double Tree was our home for the week. We stayed as part of a conference and I studied the reviews on this site carefully before choosing Double Tree over Hyatt. In the end, we are pleased with our choice. The renovations are over as stated, but the hotel is rather plain for a downtown hotel. We last stayed at a Double Tree in Philadelphia and that was an amazing hotel. This is given a rating of above average.

There is a courtesy shuttle from the airport, which we were unaware of and it saved us money. We enjoyed our free cookie upon registering. We arrived at the hotel around 1:30 pm and our room wasn’t ready so we enjoyed their buffet lunch for $11.95 including soup, salad, and a pasta buffet. Also included were drinks and chocolate cake. Our north facing room was ready soon after we ate and we checked into a 13th floor king size non-smoking room which was clean. We saw no problems with the room at all. The bathroom was appropriate, the towels were large and soft enough, and our picture window gave us a great view of the mountains to the east and the hot air balloons to the west. We left our curtains open the entire time. Earlier reviews mentioned a loud AC unit which was true when set to turn on and off. After 2 nights of tossing and turning, we set the thermostat to fan and the unit was on continuously and was perfect. We did not hear noise from other rooms.

Overall, we found everyone in the hotel accommodating. This was just a boring hotel in a boring downtown. We did not have a car and there really was not anywhere safe to walk. We did visit the Hyatt, which had a little more going on, but their stores closed early. The bar at Double Tree was simple and not always staffed. Internet connection was free and we had uneven access. The convention center had great internet service and we were able to access the center through an underground walkway which was convenient.

Taxis were available to take us around but their fees were high. Bus fares were lower but were not safe. We met up with some friends to take us to the Sandia Tramway on beautiful afternoon and the nearby casinos had courtesy shuttle service. We had lots of fun at the Sandia Casino.

This is our experience. We will fill out some restaurant reviews. If you have any questions, please contact me.

• Liked — Customer Service, Airport Shuttle
  • Disliked — Boring location downtown
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank whpiman
Michigan
Reviewed June 15, 2008

From check in to check out (which was about two hours) this was just an awful experience. It costs $10 per day to park in their lot, and that does not guarentee that you will have a parking space if you leave and come back! We reserved a smoking room, but they overbooked them and we got non-smoking, while the person in front of us (also travelling in our group) who made reservations at a much later date received the same type of room we had requested. The staff was rude, (besides the parking attendant who tried to help us). The Starbucks in the lobby was closed, the bar was overpriced, vending machines were far and few between, and the rooms were quite small (but clean). Overall, I will not make this mistake twice. We contacted another one of their properties in the area (The Embassy Suites) who were more than willing to help us, and truly saved our trip. Looking for great service and excellent accomodations? You will not find it here.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Nothing to like, it was a horrible experience
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank lilspirit
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 13, 2008

I stayed at the Doubletree ABQ for three nights, arriving very late the first evening. I normally stay elsewhere but ABQ was unusually busy this week so I tried the Doubletree because they generally have a good reputation and are part of the Hilton family of hotels.

Pros: I had requested an upper-floor room and was assigned a room on the top floor (15th) with a fantastic view. Hotel staff were very courteous, positive and they generally seemed quite motivated to serve their guests well. I had breakfast on my last morning and I thought the service was very good (of course, I had their breakfast buffet, but my orange juice glass and coffee pot never made it to empty).

The hotel was apparently given a freshening recently so the beds, other furniture, carpet and bathroom fixtures seemed fairly new. Good water pressure and plenty of hot water in the shower. Decent selection of cable channels.

Cons: Initial room cleanliness was decent, but I did notice a couple of minor stains on the duvet cover on the second bed in my room (I had a double queen). Not so good. The freshening mentioned above clearly did not include the hotel's mechanicals, as the heating/cooling unit in my room was loud and old, yet controlled by an electronic thermostat. The elevators were slow and obviously had not been replaced, but did sport a faux brushed metal interior, apparently achieved by using a metal sander on the original steel surface. Cheap, to the say the least. In-room wireless internet, while free, was barely adequate, which was surprising in view of the recent freshening.

Finally, in my view, parking is clearly less than adequate when the hotel is near capacity because they have to use their main fire lanes for overnight parking.

Overall, a decent stay, but I would likely choose another property if available on my next trip to ABQ.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business