“Additional charge”

DoubleTree by Hilton Albuquerque
Ranked #37 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My adman uses hotels.com for my corporate travel, on this occasion she said most of the hotels I like are comparable so would the Doulbletree be ok it's near the hospital I needed so I said fine. Upon arrival I find they charge $10 to self park you car outside and unprotected. I don't appreciate the fact that this hotel is charging and the others I would have stayed at do not. I asked to speak to the manager and was told he's left for the day, hotels.com shoud have made the fact be known about the extra charges. $10 is still 10 dollars.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ken M
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Ken M,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on our hotel, I regret that you did not have a good experience with us and sincerely apologize for the issue you experienced.
All feedback is valuable to us so that we can perfect our guests’ experiences and again, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share yours.

Sincerely yours,

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Albuquerque

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked this room first and read the reviews later and became very apprehensive about my stay. It turns out that I worried for nothing. The front desk was speedy and efficient, the parking attendant was awesome-- he walked me outside to show me the way to the Marble Brewery (excellent IPA!) and made sure I had the code I needed for a very early departure. The room was exceptionally clean and the bed very comfortable. I heard some loud music when I got off the elevator, but my room (512, I think) was very quiet. The neighborhood was clean, well-lighted and I felt fairly safe walking it as a single female. This place was a real find and only about 10 minutes away from the airport (of course I drove the route early in the morning) and within walking distance of good bars and restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank sniraga
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

sniraga,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel and for recommending us. I will pass along all of your comments to our team during our next weekly meeting. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stopped in Albuquerque on this past Thursday on a trip to Colorado Springs. Oh how I wished we had not. Paid 130 bucks plus ten additional bucks for parking. Got to the room, to find out that at this price point, the rooms offered no microwave or mini fridge, something I consider a basic amenity. We left to make a run to come back and discover that the parking was full. When I inquired with the desk, he offered that I could park at the Civic Center, at a cost of 10 additional buck each and every time I came and went. When I asked about no microwave or fridge, was told that I could get a fridge for ten additional bucks. I told the clerk that I did not feel that I was getting a good value for the price point, he could only offer "I understand your frustration." and offered NOTHING in the way of drink coupon, dinner discount, or any compensation other than refund the parking. When I stated that if that is your response, then we want to check out and leave. The hotel's response was "Ok, I can check you out." Evidently the hotel feels they are doing well enough that they can let upset customers that HAVE ALREADY PAID for a room can check out and leave, taking their money with them. A complaint to corporate garnered nothing, save a "we didn't charge you (didn't stay) hope to see you again" email That is not going to happen

Room Tip: Best tip I can offer is to choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mikrich76
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Dear Mikrich76,

I’m truly disappointed that you were unsatisfied with our hotel as well as the response you received from Hilton. I regret that we won’t be seeing you again, but wish you all the best in your future travels.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

For people who do not want to read my long review I just want to say forget the Double Tree stay at Andaluz or Hyatt you will be happier. Now for my rant. We stayed here last year for ACE (albuquerque comic expo) and it was a bad experience. First the front desk clerk was very rude and then we were kept up all night by people in the next room having a party and they were eventually thrown out by the police after we complained like 3 times. Hoping it was just a bad night we booked this hotel again for ACE this year. BIG MISTAKE! First I went early around noon to see if I could get an early check in. They could not even find my reservation under my name and I had to search through my emails on my phone to prove I had one. Then I was told no way could I have an early check in and would be lucky if the room was ready by 3pm. I went back around 2:45 and was barely able to enter the parking lot since again they had no record of me as a guest but was told I could park my car for 10 minutes but had to come back and show my key. I was able to check in the front desk staff was very pleasant and good thing because that is about all this hotel has going for it. I was given a room number and key. When I arrived at my room and opened the door it was full of other people. Luckily I had several bags so the front desk guy had come up with me. He went to the hall and made a phone call then told me to wait finally after about 10 minutes he returned and took me to another room which when I walked in was obviously a smoking room (I had reserved non smoking 3 months ago) but I knew the hotel was full so I did not bother to complain he seemed overwhelmed as it was. The rooms are not in great condition and seemed a bit dirty there were safety pins and keyrings in the bathroom near the vanity and the alarm clock did not work. Also we were only given 3 towels in a double room so we sent our kids down to ask for more they said they would be sent up of course they never came.Then that night around 11pm there were people and kids yelling and running around the halls I do not know if the walls in this hotel are paper thin or it attracts really loud people but you will not get a good nights sleep here. Also the parking is limited and even though we had to pay $10 to park in lot we were told there may not be spaces and we would have to park at a nearby bank and walk.Instead I highly recommed Hotel Andaluz a nice boutique hotel just as close to the convention center and closer to dining and entertainment or the Hyatt only a block away and a really nice hotel also closer to dining. Also the Hotel Parq Central is awsome but you would need a car to get to downtown area easily.

Room Tip: Stay at Andaluz, Hotel Parq Central, or Hyatt instead
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Lkmontano

Dear WaspinNM,

Your review has me very concerned, thank you for sharing your experience so that I can address each of the negatives you encountered with my team. I sincerely apologize, your stay with us should have been seamless and enjoyable. If you would be so kind as to give me a call, I’d greatly appreciate the opportunity discuss your stay in more detail personally, I can be reached at (505) 247-3344 at your convenience.

Regrets,

Reviewed June 9, 2012

A group of kids just knocked on my door and that's not the worst. The walls may as well be made of paper. The people next store have 4 guests stuffed into small loud room. My room shakes every time someone moves in adjacent rooms. I can't believe this is a Hilton! They didn't even sound insulate! I feel like I'm in a drum. All night there are booming noises from the hallway and the floor above. Didn't sleep last night and it seems worse tonight. The pool was packed shoulder to shoulder. There should be 2 or three pools for the size of this place. They book this monster for big conventions apparently and mIx convention people on same floors with people like me, who are paying full price for what should be a nice break, but isn't because this place is the grossest cattle call I've ever seen. I feel swindled and deprived of much needed weekend rest. And I'm paying $100 per night. What a waste.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Bonton1000

Dear Bonoton1000,

I’m sorry to hear that your stay with us was disrupted by noise, but do appreciate your business and hope this experience won’t deter you from staying with DoubleTree in the future. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

I would not agree with the hotel being a 3.5 / 4 star hotel, 3 star yes. As far as amenities go, there is a restaurant, Coctail / bar lounge, pool business center and excercise room. The rooms were out dated with old outdated tube TVs. Lately, even in 2.5 star hotels if you end up with two beds instead of a King, you get two queens, well here you really get small double beds that fill more like a tiny full size bed.

The location is not bad. Close to the convention center. If you enjoy the bar life, Central Ave. is just a short walk. I would not make this walk alone at night!

The on premise bar is called the Ice Lounge and quess what, the atmosephere is cold and non appealing. We chose to walk down to the Hyatt only a couple of blocks away where there lounge is more inviting.

The doubletree has it's own parking area that they charge for, why? When the bank across the street opens their employee lot at night and on the weekends.

I hate getting nickle and dimed to death and that seems to be the case these days at most 3.5 - 4 star locations. I would prefer to pay more for the room and not get nickle and dimed.

Room Tip: Book a King room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank bobmmp
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Dear bobmmp,

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay. I regret that you did not find your room to be up to your expectation or the atmosphere at ICE. To answer your question on paying for parking, you’ll find that it’s typical of all hotels in a downtown location to charge a parking fee, as is the case here in Albuquerque. I feel badly you felt nickel and dimed, we feel our amenities are competitively priced and are consistent with what is to be expected at a full service hotel. I wish you had enjoyed our hotel and hope your future travels and hotel experiences are pleasant.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed May 29, 2012

The hotel is situated next to the convention center, with an underground passage connecting both. Other than that, the location is not all that appealing, with mostly office buildings and industrial sites in the vicinity. Still, within a few blocks there’s a residential area and even Old Town is within 30 minutes on foot. And both I-40 and I-25 are very easily accessed from the hotel. There are several restaurants some 2-3 blocks away but, with a few exceptions, most of those seem to be relatively simple eateries rather than fine dining opportunities.
The hotel itself is OK. On the plus side, the rooms are fairly spacious and the quality of the beds is fine. Also, internet is free (at least it was for me). And staff was very friendly and helpful (upon calling the front desk about a broken coffee maker they replaced it within 5 minutes!). On the other side, the bathroom was relatively small, there was no refridgerator in the room and the airco unit was quite noisy. Breakfast buffet was so-so (although there were enough other choices on the menu) and the La Oja restaurant wasn’t all that inviting. Also, the bar was a bit understaffed with the waiter/waitress being absent repeatedly, having to pick up food orders or supplies of ice and what not.
Rating this hotel four stars would be unfair to other hotels that I rated four stars (such as the Double Tree in Portland, OR). Still, 3 stars seems a bit meagre, so I’d make it 3 ½ .

Room Tip: Rooms facing north will be less hot, but the view is so-so
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your candid review Stoks, I appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your experience with us.

Best wishes,