“Unimpressive”

DoubleTree by Hilton Albuquerque
Ranked #37 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed October 28, 2007

The location of this hotel - near the convention center downtown - is the best thing going for it, but the rest is really not that great.

The hotel seems to constantly be undergoing renovation, and it's very obvious when you walk in the door. It's also very loud in the lobby area and restaurant facilities due to construction noise.

The whole place has an aura of being outdated. The restaurant food is not very good.

Another weird thing is that the hotel is lit up at night in a bright purple light - what is the point of that? It just looks very strange.

It's not a terrible place, but I don't think I'd stay here again unless I absolutely had to.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank laker777
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Albuquerque

Reviewed September 5, 2007

We booked the Doubletree Albuq. for Sat. Sept 1, during the Labor Day Weekend. We chose this downtown location as we figured it would be quiet during the weekend, and except for the lobby, it was quiet. The hotel is still in the midst of renovating, but the king room we had on the 14th floor was very nice. I enjoyed the Neutrogena toiletries, although the coffee maker in the room made the coffee taste terrible. We were quite pleased with the room and the fresh, warm cookies. The pool area was small (outside pool), pool itself is stainless steel, interesting. The lobby area is still being renovated, rather disorganized at best. The small parking lot for guests has a wierd entry drive, which was kind of a pain as we were pulling a trailer. We had to park across the street in the Wells Fargo parking lot after we returned from dinner as the parking lot was full, no doubt from the many people attending numerous wedding receptions there (annoying).

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank yukester
Reviewed August 28, 2007

Facts You Should Know:
1) I'm a Travel Agent
2) I'm a Hilton Honors Gold Member

Stayed here for a seminar I was attending at the Hyatt, just next door and redeemed points for the stay. This hotel was going through MAJOR renovations while I was there. This is a good hotel if you A) don't mind a very noisy A/C unit (as I barely slept through it). B) You're not looking for a vacation hotel.

Doubletrees are business minded hotel so there are plenty of business amenities, but not a lot of frills. No free wireless though. The renovations to the rooms are very nice. Tip: Although the A/C units are loud, if you shut it off you hear all the noise in the hallways. I think this is because of the hollow-core older type doors that are there. Bring ear-plugs.

Pool is a small, retro type thing which is all shiny steel. This looks neat at night with the blue lights. Major bummer, no hot-tub to sooth sore muscles after long day. Workout area is ample.

Restaurant was a little slow, but the food was FABULOUS!
Check-in was smooth and professional
Staff - Very accomodating.
Tip: Become a Hilton Honors member for free breakfast.
Parking - $10/day - No valet service

If you're looking for a mid-to-upper range hotel downtown, this is good. I'll stay here again if need be. The Hyatt initially looks nicer, but I've hear bad things about the staff there. It's a sub-par Hyatt.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Wendi C
Reviewed August 25, 2007

They are still renovating the lobby but rooms are done and are fantastic. Beds were amazing! Staff were very helpful and friendly.
Stayed for a convention and would definetly again, but be warned downtown Albq is dead otherwise - don't stay downtown if you're holidaying.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank K_Sydney
Reviewed June 6, 2007

This hotel is the most convenient to the Convention Center which is why I chose this location. Property is currently in renovation and based on previous reviewers has been for quite some time. Overall the rooms are very good, clean, and updated. Wireless service is spotty.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2007

I stayed here for 2 nights in April on government business. They were
over our rates (of course), but the location was good for our visit.
Having said that, not sure it's good for pleasure travel since it's downtown and ABQ rolls up the sidewalks around 5 PM. I notice an earlier reviewer reported renovations. They are still going on and hotel renovations are getting to be a HUGE pet peeve of mine. They're
inconvenient, noisy and 'hoteliers' have the nerve to ask for full price for less than full service.

Sure enough, they were working away when I arrived Monday PM. I'd hoped to lie down for a few minutes after my flight and called the desk to complain. It stopped -- briefly. I was assured it would be over by 6 PM. It went on until almost 7 and by that time I had to be up anyway. I went down to the fitness ctr the next morning. That floor is -- you guessed it -- renovations central and I had to step over the piles of discarded carpeting, pulled wiring and plaster to reach the gym. A sign in the lobby states the hotel aims to have the jobs finished by 'spring." Not sure if the calendar's different in NM but they're not even close to done. Parts of the lobby & restaurant are torn up as well and one elevator doesn't work.

Saving graces: Staff is really nice, my room was lovely and sparkling
clean. Breakfast buffet (not included) is priced OK and serviceable but if you have to be anywhere, don't order off the menu...the kitchen takes forever, doing who-knows-what since the place was half-empty. All in all, if I could move the room to another building, I'd go back!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank SLM941
Reviewed March 3, 2007

I was in for a world of surprise when I arrived at the Doubletree. I have stayed at other Doubletrees and always enjoyed the clean rooms and friendly staff but they are nowhere to be found in the Albuquerque hotel.

The room that was assigned was in the "unremodeled" section of the hotel- dirty as can be, reeking of cigarette smoke (worse than I've ever had to experience- even though I had booked a non-smoking room), tiles cracked in bathroom, old mattress. Even getting off the elevator the stench of smoke was in the air.

The desk clerks (as I tried multiple times) were dismissive of my complaints saying there was nothing they could do- and no there would be no discount for the poor quality of the room. I mean it- I would not expect a room this bad in a 1-star hotel, much less a 3-star! This room is so bad, it should not be used.

I was able to look at one of the renovated rooms- and it a world different, but I would stay away from this atrocity of a hotel for fear of being placed (and stuck) in the unrenovated section !!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family