“Best place in the Duke City!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn University Midtown Albuquerque

Hampton Inn University Midtown Albuquerque
Ranked #21 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Roswell, New Mexico, United States
“Best place in the Duke City!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Smells like fresh baked cookies! Great place to stay with easy access right off the interstate. Well lit parking area and plenty of spaces. We will be back. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. We had a microwave and a fridge along with a new flatscreen TV and direct TV with Free HBO. The front desk staff were very friendly and the free breakfast in the morning was great! Plenty of choices from fresh fruit and yogurt to waffles and breakfast sandwiches. The pool are was very nice and pool towels were provided. When we were unloading our luggage a staff member brought out the hotel cart to help us with everything. The hotel was very close to many different food and shopping areas and also just a few miles from downtown and tons of night life. Our cab from the hotel to downtown was very affordable. Check out was at noon and not once were we bothered by housekeeping in the morning. If you're looking for an affordable and very clean place to stay in The Duke City I highly suggest the Hampton Inn Midtown!

Room Tip: We always ask for a room facing west if possible
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
oakland620, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn University Midtown Albuquerque, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Joe F. from Roswell, what a kind review our or staff and hotel, we get a lot of folks from Roswell, Dexter, Roswell is a key city for our hotel, always kind to us and they return often, and yes the Duke city has so much to offer. This is a great city, we have our UNM Lobos, Zoo, Popejoy Hall at the University of New Mexico, the downtown area has lots to offer. Thank you so much Joe we will post your review in our break room, it makes our day.
Hotel Phone 505-837-9300
joe.gallegos@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I booked this hotel last minute for the annual Hot air balloon festival. I'm halfway through my 2 night stay at this Hampton Inn and am so happy with everything that I felt compelled to write a review. But the reasons I'm really impressed with the hotel may be a bit out of the ordinary.

1. The front desk staff are awesome and fun to talk to. I joked with a couple of them about eating bugs Tim also seemed like a really cool manager. Everyone was also super helpful to answer my questions regarding the balloon fiesta.

2. I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall, and the shower head is still about 6 inches above my head. As silly as that sounds, it makes the showering process much easier. Most shower heads in other hotels/homes are only like an inch or 2 above my head.

3. There's cookies at the front desk in the afternoon!

4. Breakfast doesn't officially start until after 6am (or maybe 6:30am?), but food was already laid out this morning when I woke up at 4am. I think this is due to the hotel knowing that a bunch of the guests would be waking up early to go to the balloon festival. I thought it was a nice touch.

5. My first floor window opens all the way. Ventilation galore!

6. I booked the hotel using points, and the price was only 10,000 points per night (as of October 4, 2013). All you Hilton Honors members out there know how ridiculously cheap that is- especially during a time of the year where hotel rooms are scarce and prices are jacked up. I really thought the website stated a typo and someone meant to type 40,000 instead of 10,000. But nope, it's actually 10,000!

One downside though, is that the bathtub drains a bit slowly. I hope it's just an issue for room 127. Besides that though, I have no complaints!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
oakland620, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn University Midtown Albuquerque, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
I don't know how to start, Howard L, from Houston, Texas. This is review of yours is one of the best written about our hotel. And the staff agrees with you about Tim our manager, he is our leader and he leads by example, there is not disconnect with the guests and employees, he enjoys his job and so the staff follows his example. Our guest pay us, so we do what it takes to make our guest stay the best experience. And we all agree 10,000 is more than a bargain, we have been trying for months to get it raised, I will forward this to Hilton and see that even our guests think as we do, we want to get our points raised.
I can't thank you enough for your review.
Email: joe.gallegos@hilton.com
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

By all accounts, I should have been grateful. Unbeknowst to me, I chose a time to pass through Albuquerque just prior to the hot-air balloon festival where hotel/motel rooms are scarce.

The room was a typical room with microwave and refrigerator. The price was good (and I got the AAA discount). The room was clean. The breakfast was good. The wi-fi was adequate. The check in was very pleasant.

...however.....I heard the "ding" of the elevator all night. When one comes off the elevator, turn left, and you face two room before turning either left or right to go down the hallway to the other rooms, I was in one of the two rooms. Thankfully, I'm not a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Watch out for the rooms close to the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
oakland620, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn University Midtown Albuquerque, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
We see you are a seasoned traveler, trevelinsenior from Boulder, Colorado
And yes this is a busy time of the year for all hotels in Albuquerque due to the Balloon Fiesta, we hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. Not much we can do about the elevator. But we do strive to make sure the rooms are beyond standard and our breakfast was to you liking. Thank you again.

Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed one night after a late flight into ABQ before heading to Santa Fe in the morning. The hotel was great! I thought we might be the only ones there as it was incredibly quiet, however breakfast in the morning was jam packed. The room was one of the nicest Hampton Inn rooms I have seen - very clean and comfy! The location was a little odd, however I suppose if you were there on business it might be great - quick access to highways. Our room looked out at a Kmart and a parking lot, so if you are looking for views of the mountains, this isn't it, however if you need a quiet, clean, cheap hotel for travel, this can't be beat!

Room Tip: Third floor was very quiet!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
oakland620, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn University Midtown Albuquerque, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Well, CZN, from Gainesville, Florida, we value your review, we know that the public has so many choices in Albuquerque, we are privilege that you stayed with us. The staff here is committed to our customers if it where not for folks like you we would have no jobs, thank you for taking time to write such a GREAT REVIEW of our hotel, if you pass this way again I would like to meet you.
Hotel: 505-837-9300
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at the Midtown Albuquerque Hampton while passing through on Interstate 40. Very typical Hampton Inn. My wife stayed there on Business recently which is the only reason we found the entrance to the hotel. The entrance to this Hampton Inn is rather hard to find and my bet is that most go by it once or twice so be forewarned. Our family rarely interacts with Hotel staff but we were extremely disappointed with one staff member refusing to help locate the family who were abusing the use of the luggage cart. There were many elderly people trying to checkout and one family had there items stacked on the cart for more than 30 minutes while eating breakfast while staff member refused multiple requests to help locate the family so they could be told to let others us that cart. Really an unfortunate situation that needed help resolving.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
oakland620, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn University Midtown Albuquerque, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you BCHP, from the great state of Texas, we are disappointed that our staff member did not react to the guests regarding the cart for luggage that a guest had to wait 30 minutes, this is not what is expected from us, we are better than that, and we have spoken to the staff member that this is unacceptable. We want to thank you for pointing that out to us, it is guests like you and your family that helps us do a better job. We are better than that we take pride in taking care of our guests.

Joe M Gallegos
Roswell, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

stayed here twice in the last couple of months at the Hampton Inn Midtown University.September 6th thru the 8th was the second time, my family and I stayed and enjoyed it!!! Can't say it enough how helpful the staff and the front desk is. I personally want to thank you Joe and your staff/frontdesk , for being very helpful and courteous , all nights I did stay between these last 2 trips the rooms are very clean, and I again enjoyed the fitness room, and kids of course enjoyed the pool!!! Breakfast was great all the way around so thank you and my family and I,know where we can stay with out any worries when we travel to albuquerque!!!HAMPTON INN MIDTOWN UNIVERSITY ROCKS! !!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you Manuel G, from the great city of Roswell, we have a lot of folks from Roswell, let me tell you that Roswell is one key city for our hotel. The staff looks at all trip advisor comments and we take them all very serious and your comment makes our day. We all take pride in our work and we hope all guests enjoy the stay here.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I'm a huge Hampton Inn fan and this hotel was a no-brainer for me to book a room in. The price was unreal (I think it was under $100!) and the location could not have been better for my business in ABQ.

The young gentleman at the front desk was the model of personal service. The lobby was cool and clean and modern, like 99% of Hampton Inns that I've been in. My room was nice and clean and the bathroom was great, too. The towels seemed a little thinner than some other Hampton Inns that I've been in but they worked fine. The wireless worked good and the bed was great. The breakfast was a bit of a disappointment for me because they didn't have hard boiled eggs like I thought all Hampton Inns had. The only egg offering was something called "egg toppers"; sort of a half-an-English-muffin sort of thing with an egg mixture on top that was baked or cooked. It may have been the best thing ever, but I didn't try it because I stay away from things I think may have trans fat in them. I apologize to the manager and hotel if they didn't have trans fat, but since I wasn't sure I passed on trying them. They did have the classic Hilton chain real oatmeal which is always great and was here, as well. They had a ton of juices and yogurts and the great Hampton Inn coffee and tea selection. The coffee and tea area looked like a group of hyenas were staying in the hotel, but I guess some hotel guests can be very, very, very messy and don't give it a second thought to make a mess for someone else. The front desk person was busy taking phone calls and trying to work with folks checking out, etc. She finally went over and cleaned the coffee and tea area when she had a lull in her busy morning. I only mention that because she was doing a great job of juggling everything; it's not her fault some people just spill things and leave half-opened containers of creamer floating in their half-full cups that they leave on the counters.. The more I travel the more annoyed and disappointed I become with some of my fellow travelers.

This hotel had a really strange entry / exit sequence if you're driving here. It's a tiny one-way driveway over a bridge and when you leave you go way around a couple of blocks and cross traffic, etc., to get back to the main street. The outdoor pool and hot tub looked excellent and I never saw anyone in either of them. It was "perfect" weather, in my definition: mid-80s, bone dry, and 100% blue sky. I should have taken advantage of this great pool.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay here again when I'm in Albuquerque. It's a GREAT town and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you Scotty G777, from Saint Paul, Minnesota, can say enough thanks, this on one great review of the hotel. The staff was so happy to see it in our break room.
You covered a lot in the review. I want to thank you on behalf of our staff, please if you pass this way again. Stop by and have some coffee with us, we will have our entire staff meet you.

Hotel Phone: 505-944-5772