“Will return”

Hampton Inn University Midtown Albuquerque
Ranked #23 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed December 30, 2011

This is a great place to stop while you are traveling, which is to say, the location is perfect (right off I 40) and near a fun BBQ restaurant (Rudy's). Our check in was easy and Anthony, who checked us in, was sure to ask where we preferred our room to face, so we were able to get a room NOT facing I 40. We had stayed here last month as well, and when we had a running toilet in our room, our room was switched immediately, and the service this visit was very good as well. In fact, the desk called to check if everything in our room was fine. Impressive. Also, the windows open which is good if the room becomes stuffy. The room itself was clean and the beds very comfortable. Breakfast was fine.
This is not a place for a romantic weekend, but it is a great place while you are traveling, and the price is right.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank crosscreek7

Reviewed October 14, 2011

The internet worked well and the TV service included a large selection of DirecTV channels including HBO and Cinemax. Room was comfortable and quiet. Location is okay with most things a few miles away.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Eric W
Reviewed October 14, 2011

First of all, It's a nice hotel. The rooms are nice and clean. The staff was nice. The breakfast was nothing to brag about...I actually chose breakfast burittos from Frontier. Hampton Inns have Hilton backing them and are a good brand of hotel and you usually get good value.

We've stayed at this hotel before which is why I thought it would be good to stay while at the Balloon Fiesta. We had a non smoking king reserved. When we checked in we were given room 431. As soon as we walked in we smelled cigarette smoke. (This hotel indicats that it is 100% non smoking). We went and told the front desk person and she said that they were all sold out and the other thing she could do was to spray fabreeze, open a window and turn on the air. We let her do that and a little while later, we went back to our room and the smell was even worse! The front desk person told us that we could get switched to another room the next day, but there was nothing she could do for us that night. We ended up staying in my mom's room. How disappointing!

The next morning we did get a different room. They told us that they wouldn't charge us for Room 431. Really? The smoking room that I didn't ask for and didn't sleep in you weren't going to charge me for? Thanks!

I'm not saying that this hotel has smoking rooms. They advertise that they are 100% non smoking and that would be misleading if they had hidden smoking rooms.

I will not stay at this particular hotel again, becuase I'm not sure how to avoid this happening again. I'm a non smoker and I like to cater to establishments that are smoke free.

Room Tip: Words of caution: Rooms 431 and higher are on an end of the floor that smells like smoke. Also, th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hiker114
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a good hotel for a reasonable price. The place is very clean, staff are friendly, and the breakfast is good. I have two minor quibbles: the bathroom is small, which is fine for one person but a little annoying when the whole family shows up; and the immediate surroundings being the highway and the arroyo felt a little risky for potential crime. The parking lot is very well lit, though, so overall I think it is OK.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Pauler80020
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We requested room service, and then we found a big brown stain on the bed skirt. Although this was from a coffee stain, it clearly showed where the housekeeping had neglected to wash it, this was reported to the front desk, who apologized and said they would take care of it.
When we came back around 3, the room had not been cleaned, the spot was still on the sheet. To end this long story: Anthony and Ramona arguing with me, Ramona raising her voice and glaring at me, then overhearing them talking about me when I was in the hallway, then Ramona became combative over the phone with my friend. My money is to be refunded, that helps a bit, but I would rather have spent that money and not had all of this happen. No one should ever have to endure this type of treatment. The rest of the staff were just wonderful, although it would have been nice to know about the chocolate chip cookies at the time.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Reviews I read were primarily good. When I arrived the greeting was friendly and fast. I was in my room quickly, granted, I don't mind hauling my own bags and they had a dolly available. The free wi-fi, breakfast, and parking increase the value of this stay. The room did have a slight smoking stench that may have come from another floor cause my room was supposedly non-smoking. Not within walking distance from desired restaurants or attractions but we had a car so not a problem.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Aceabouttown
Reviewed August 2, 2011

When we walked in we checked in and got prompt service, wasn't as attentive as we would have liked it, though. When we got to our rooms we were pleased with the cleanliness and comfort. It was a nice value. This was a adequate place for kids activities. It only had a pool that wasn't deep at all and hot tub, which I enjoyed. This hotel enjoys free high speed internet and has connecting rooms. The room service obviously did a good job with our room. It was quite a nice place to sleep. However, if you are looking for better kids activities, this place is not for you. Try the Radisson, which has a waterpark and a 9 feet deep pool.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family