New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #91 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Augsburg, Germany
“nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Were there in november. Paid 45 $.
great deal, nice room.
Very friendly guy behind the desk. He was very competently and gave us a tip for a very good restaurant.
There was a pool and a hot hot tub. But they should restore the wellness area, because the interior in the sauna and the shower was not acceptable and the water in the pool was not clear.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed here Dec 18 for one night. The staff is extremely caring and friendly. They agreed to give us a late check out. The king mini-suite was spotless, the bed was comfortable, and the wifi worked perfectly. The tub was a jacuzzi tub and the shower heads were much more than basic. We would stay here again without a question. Our only suggestion would be to have something for breakfast that is healthy for diabetics---maybe hard boiled eggs, at least.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Clovis, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Three of us stayed here in a double queen room Oct. 10-14th during the balloon festival. I had originally booked the room for 3 nights, but added another night for the beginning of our stay (on Wednesday). As mentioned, the prices are much higher during the weekend of the festival which is expected, I guess! I booked both times on the internet. When I called originally to add Wednesday, they told me the room would be cheaper than what I had booked for the weekend (it was $69/night on-line), they gave me a much higher rate on the phone, so I said I would just book it on-line. We ended up having to change rooms after the first night, which was really not a big deal. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms are in need of an upgrade, but the beds were comfortable and the room was clean. It's a budget inn, so you can't expect it to be much more than that.

My first suggestion would be to first check the rates on-line, the second would be to absolutely ask for a second floor room. Apparently they allow elephant herds to run around on this floor, much to the dismay of the folks on the 1st floor (which is where we were....).

The breakfast was minimal, but enough to get you through to a real breakfast. We never used the shuttle to the Balloon Fest, as we decided we needed to walk. We walked it back and forth on 3 different occasions (even at night). It's 1.7 miles one-way (my daughter has an app on her iphone!), and took us between 20-25 minutes each time.

If were were to go to the Balloon Fest again, I would stay there again. It's convenient!

Room Tip: Definitely choose a second floor room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jperkin1
East Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here last year for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta and found it to be a great location, so much that we came back again this year! We had not planned on staying here for the entire week, not knowing what our plans would be for the week, but did stay after the staff - thanks Robert! helped get us set to stay in the same room for the entire week! There were upgrades done over the year - new shower head, bedding and the most important to us was that they added a shuttle service to and from the Balloon Fiesta! This event is something that everyone needs to see - it is phenomenal! We will definitely come back!

Room Tip: We asked that our room be on the back side of the hotel so that we could wake up and look out the wi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

After trying different web sites for prices, I ended up joining the Best Value Club. My wife and I stayed 4 nights 7-11 October and paid $76.50 per night for a double queen with taxes. We made the reservation 15 August.

The room was clean and the sheets were fresh. The bathroom was spotless with a new fancy showerhead and the hot water was just about instant. We had a couple issues with the room, one was a noisy bathroom ventilator which was fixed and a safe that would not lock that was not fixed, but they offered to change our room for one with a working safe.

My first choice in the area was the Holiday Inn Express on the other side of Carl Jrs, but their web site said they had no vacancies, which was strange since on our arrival there was a big sign saying that they did have vacancies for the Balloon Fest. If we go back to the Balloon Fest, our first choice will be the Best Value Inn.

All of the desk clerks were very friendly and while it was a housekeeping responsibility to maintain the breakfast area supplied, the desk clerk jumped in and handled it if things ran out.

We walked to and from the Balloon Fest on Sunday evening and while it was not a bad walk, I felt a bit uneasy on the return trip in the dark because no one else was walking. So on our early morning visit on Wednesday we drove.

A thoughtful touch during Balloon Fest was that breakfast was available as of 4 AM. On Thursday, our departure day, we could see the balloons launching from our breakfast table.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Round Rock, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

After reading the previous reviews it was obvious that this property has lots of problems. If you are traveling on a budget many things might be overlooked for the sake of saving a few dollars. Unfortunately I was trying to find a hotel located near the Albuquerque Balloon Festival so we could avoid the terrible traffic and parking tie-ups associated with attending.
Of course, all of the hotels near the Festival have inflated their prices and most of the well rated hotels were filled. I started looking about 20 days in advance of the festival and the only hotel I could find an available room was here. The quoted rate for two adults and one child was about $170 per night (all taxes included). This room was a king size bed with a fold out sofa. Our party consisted of three generations of males (grandfather, son and grandson) so my plan was to sleep on the sofa pull out and let the others sleep on the king bed. I made the reservation directly with the property and the clerk told me he was giving us a complementary upgrade to the "suite". I assume that there were no more two bed (3 person) non smoking rooms available so we were booked into that "suite". The clerk remarked that it is unusual to have a room available, since in past years the hotel is booked as much as one year in advance. That is probably understandable due to the previous experiences of those who stayed here.
Our room was as other reviewers have described. The sofa was extremely stained and had a badly torn cushion. The telephone didn't function due to the cord being pulled out. I found the cord on the floor and saw the plug locking tab had been broken off. Once plugged back into the phone it functioned but the broken tab allowed the cord to pull out if the phone was moved. The bathroom was acceptably clean. The furniture exhibited lots of wear as did the doors and walls. The sofa was pulled out and it was obvious that the sheets and blanket had not been replaced since the last person slept there. The three of us slept on the king size bed. I am not sure if someone would have come up to change the sofa bed sheets and blanket if we had complained since it was almost 10 pm when we went to bed.
Sleep comfort was acceptable with no street noise heard in our room.
The breakfast area was fairly neat and attended. The breakfast items consist of several types of coffee, a variety of dry cereals, orange juice, breads, waffles (toaster type) and pastries. A few whole oranges were the only fresh fruit available. If the room rates were at the normal (non festival rates) the breakfast would have been above average in value.
The only contact with the hotel staff was during check-in and check-out. The clerk was friendly. We were given a welcome bag containing some coffee, candy, etc. This was clearly over and above what would have been given out during a "regular" season stay. You are given your bill upon check-in with the twice emphasized instruction that any room "extras" will be charged. The process takes on the aura of hotels that are worried about guest leaving in the middle of the night. Due to the processing of the credit card and multiple verbal warnings, the check out consisted of "good bye". We were not asked if our stay was satisfactory. I assume that is by design. A "don't ask, don't tell" policy or "no news is good news". No doubt that unchanged sofa pull out will have the same used sheets for many guests to come.
The bus schedule for transportation to and from the festival had been filled so we had to walk. It is a little over a mile and it took about 35 minutes.
As I state in the title, I would only stay here as a hotel of last resort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank porterjames2
Canon City, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The staff was very helpful in suggesting places to eat. I ate at a Chinese place that served twice as much as I could eat at one meal, so I kept the leftovers in the trunk of my car until the following noon, used the microwave to heat them, and made a cup of tea, all in the breakfast area. Made a cheap lunch! Room was clean and everything worked. Stronger light bulbs would be nice, but I can always carry higher wattage bulbs with me if I want to read in the room.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business