“Thumbs Up for Uptown Hyatt”

Hyatt Place Albuquerque/Uptown
Ranked #20 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Durango, Colorado
“Thumbs Up for Uptown Hyatt”
Reviewed July 18, 2008

I stayed at the same hotel when it was an Amerisuite in October 2007 and it was disasterous - see my review entitled "Under Construction." I recalled that the construction would be completed by my travel dates and I liked the idea of staying in a "new" room. The location was perfect for my needs - adjacent to the Coronado and Uptown Malls and near restaurants. The Hyatt website had 360 views of the reconstructed hotel and it looked great! I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised. It is hard to believe that it is the same hotel that was so terrible in October. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms were delightful. The bathroom did not look like it had been remodeled but it was freshened up with new wallpaper. It was adequate for the 15 minutes I spent in it. The room had fun carpeting and bedding. a very nice sofa, a flat screen tv, and a kichenette (no microwave) with a small refridgerator with a sink. There was a desk area. There is a continental breakfast offered in the lobby area and you can request a hot breakfast for additional charges. There is a coffee/sanck bar in the lobby that I didn't use but is a nice touch. Now that the construction project has been completed I would not hesitate in recommending or returning to this hotel.

• Liked — Location, completed upscale remodle, continental breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing here :-)
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Zinfandelista

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
North Carolina
Reviewed May 23, 2008

This is a very nice hotel located across the street from an upscale outdoor mall. There are 4 nice restaurants within walking distance. The hotel was renovated last year and it is very nicely appointed. The rooms are a little smaller than the virtual tour appeared, but they are still very nice with marble vanities, very comfortable beds, in-room safe for valuables, and wonderful housekeeping services. The management staff was on the young side, but they appeared very well trained and always greeted us with a smile each day we returned. They have a complimentary breakfast, but I woul go to the I-Hop which is just 5 minutes away. Now, they do sell great snacks at night - delicious cheesecake and Cinammon buns. Geographically the hotel is located very close to the convergence of I-40 and I-25 so you have easy access to all points. The driving distances in New Mexico are vast so be prepared if you want to go exploring. My wife and I both enjoyed a one week stay at this hotel and received wonderful courtesy and service from the staff. Bonus note to the guys: each room has a 42" flat screen high definition television. Sweet!.

• Liked — Very comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Rush hour traffic is bad even in New Mexico - who would have thought?
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 5, 2008

We were excited with our first stay at Hyatt Place but as we have stayed at more we are losing our interest in the product. When we arrived at HP Albuquerque Uptown we were surrounded by 50-90 hip-hop wannabee's. I left the car to check in to find the lobby in complete mayhem. Hip hop people screaming and yelling and demanding attention from the staff. I asked if this was going to go on all night because I was going to find another hotel. She replied no but she had no idea who they were or why they were there. Strange don't ya think? When I came out of the lobby the HH'ers were on my car and drinking and partying. I went back and asked the manager to help clear the crowd so I could park, he said there was nothing he could do. I turned on the lights and started the car and some of them begrudgingly moved but we had a bottle smashed against the rear window of the car as we drove through the crowd. The HP was comfortable but housekeeping needs a good swift kick in the butt. The room had lots of "stuff" from previous guests. We don't go to ALB often and would probably skip HP if we did.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
az
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I moved to this hotel after a disturbing experience at the Holiday Inn Express nearby. The Hyatt Place was a refreshing upgrade.

The location is directly across the street from an outdoor mall with great stores (Eddie Bauer, Soma, Ann Taylor, Williams Sonoma, etc.) and restaurants. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The decor is comtemporary and clean. The beds are comfortable and the room has a large plasma tv. I believe this hotel was previously an Amerisuites, but you would never know it.

The lobby features a cafe where you can order cold or warm food. As of the date of my stay, they did not have a liquor license, so beer and wine were on the menu but not available. They offer a free continental breakfast every morning, with the option to purchase hot breakfast.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2008
Waco, Texas
Reviewed October 7, 2007

We traveled to Albuquerque for my Nephews wedding. My sister in law booked a block of rooms and we were with a party of 20 at the Amerisuites, Uptown.

All went fairly well, the rooms were nothing special, the contenental breakfast was even above average for what it was.

The real problem came when we went to check out and carry our luggage to the car. Sometime in the night, someone had stolen our car. We went in and informed the clerk and she did call the police for us.

She called the manager who refused to come to the hotel and meet with us. She did not know the insurance policy or any other information that would help us.

She left the problem up to a VERY young and apparently inexperienced clerk to handle a very bad situation. We were not comped our room, even though we asked and we even had to find our own way to the airport to rent a car to return home.

Later we found another vehicle had been stolen the same night and talking to the younge couple, we found they were getting about the same assistance we did. Their pickup had been parked beside ours in the parking lot.

After we returned home, I got a claim number from our insurance and called Amerisuites to share the number. There inurance agent was VERY short with me and informed me they were not responsible because they have a sign saying they are not and a security guard. They have no security cameras at this hotel. As far they were concerned, they had reviewed the claim and found the hotel to have no fault at all in the situation.

Amerisuites has yet to contact me and even show concern for what happened on their property even though I did call thier customer care line and give them all the information.

My advice is to avoid this amerisuites at all cost.
In my opinion all they want is your money and if you have any problems, tuff!

• Disliked — My car was stolen
  • Stayed August 2007